Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 180

Author Topic: Twitch plays pokemon!  (Read 198008 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Twitch plays pokemon!
« Reply #450 on: February 19, 2014, 11:33:30 pm »

Maybe I am just too chaotic, but I kinda want to see that concept without people being assigned. As in, the inputs get thrown in sequence (screen1 takes the first input, screen2 takes the second input, screen3 takes the third, screen4 takes the fourth, screen1 takes the fifth, etc) and then see how things progress as people are trying to influence one, and end up influencing another.

. . .
I can make a guess... One character will by chance happen to get ahead, become the favorite, people will focus on that characters progression and ignore the other three. One will continue to actually get somewhere while the others will be forever stuck before the first gym.
People like to align themselves with the winner, so while a few might try to pick another character and help them out, their small efforts will be futile.

You forget that trolls also like to focus on the winner. I feel like the total awkwardness of the game played in this manner, however would prevent any sort of organization in the commands once you got to a certain, but not all that large size.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 19, 2014, 11:47:10 pm »

Yea while it sounds cool to have multiple screens going I would think it would just generate more periods where nothing interesting is happening. 

Progress is made because there are points where a command being spammed would pretty much point the player in the right direction with no chance of failure.  But those commands being spammed would not nessesarily be helpful to one of the other windows, and it would not likely be intuitive what window you've been assigned to.  And if it just assigned them in order the commands are entered, everything is going so fast that it may as well be getting assigned randomly.  What is it up to now, 20? 30? commands being given per second?  it would be impossible to get your command to go to the proper window.

I would think the end result in either case would be Red acting just a little bit more like RNG plays pokemon.  There would still be progress made, but it would be much slower, and there would almost certainly never be anybody getting past two diffrent critical points at the same time.  I would hazard a guess that the community would simply focus on getting one window past a particular obstacle, spamming the commands to all windows, getting that window to a relatively safe location, then focusing on another window's hurdle.  While the other windows grind their faces into walls.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 19, 2014, 11:49:53 pm »

The more of this type of stuff I see, the more I feel sad for the eevee...

Spoiler: Large Image (click to show/hide)

Makes me want to evolve my Eevee to Flareon in Pokemon Omicron, just to give one a new lease on life.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 19, 2014, 11:59:17 pm »

They are functional special walls.  There's better, but plenty good enough to function through singleplayer.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 20, 2014, 12:10:27 am »

Flareon? A special wall? You are referring to the one Eevelution that has the ability to double its own damage with guts and quadruple its damage with facade?

I mean... I guess it can be a special wall if it really wanted to.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 20, 2014, 12:14:19 am »

I always just stuck with Eevee... Terminal case of 'Too good to use' syndrome. I mean, if I chose something I might change my mind later, so it is better to not choose anything and have none of the potential options, right?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 20, 2014, 12:16:58 am »

I always just stuck with Eevee... Terminal case of 'Too good to use' syndrome. I mean, if I chose something I might change my mind later, so it is better to not choose anything and have none of the potential options, right?

Yeah but they're uneven, so if you can't make up your mind then you can just default to jolteon/espeon. (unless the 4th gen on ones are really good, too)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 20, 2014, 12:19:49 am »

They're okay-ish.

Mostly everyone just goes with Jolteon and Espeon. Sometimes you get a Vaporeon or a Slyveon. The rest are all pretty trashcan.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 20, 2014, 12:21:36 am »

Well normally I go for the fire starter, because it can be hard to find a good fire pokemon and gyarados is a reliable water pokemon always, and there has never been a shortage of grass types wandering about, so I guess jolteon is the most solid choice...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 20, 2014, 12:26:40 am »

Flareon? A special wall? You are referring to the one Eevelution that has the ability to double its own damage with guts and quadruple its damage with facade?

Sure if it's garbage speed lets it last the two turns it needs to get a status effect and get facade off before it gets taken out.   But yes, double checking smogon it seems both setups are perfectly viable, a special wall, and a facade user.

EDIT: removed stuff
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:28:25 am by Greiger »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 20, 2014, 12:29:31 am »

Do remember that Smogon has seperate pages for each gen. (Dunno if theres one for X/Y yet tho)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 20, 2014, 12:36:45 am »

Sure if it's garbage speed lets it last the two turns it needs to get a status effect and get facade off before it gets taken out.   But yes, double checking smogon it seems both setups are perfectly viable, a special wall, and a facade user.

EDIT: removed stuff
That's why I said it was trashcan. :P

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 20, 2014, 01:50:48 am »

I liked Espeon in Gen II.

Granted, I've never been a very competitive pokemon player. :P

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #463 on: February 20, 2014, 03:26:10 am »

I loooooved Glaceon so much... but I tjink it's a trash mon competitively ; (

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 20, 2014, 04:01:39 am »

My personal favourite is Akleon. (Bay12 master race!)
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 180