Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland - GAME OVER - Long Live the East Hexian Empire!  (Read 18471 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland - GAME OVER - Long Live the East Hexian Empire!
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2014, 12:33:21 am »

-talks about impossibulls-
Well, that miiiight work, but even if it does, it would only rely on luck.
they'll just zergrush everything in sight after a lucky isolated start.
You do know that starting locations are chosen, not drawn at random, right?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2014, 12:55:08 am »

Is anyone interested in a worldbuilding thread on the first game's world?
How does that work?
We take the foundations laid by this game, the map, the empires, their basic philosophy, their history, and we build on that.
We invent cities (cities built on hexagons are sprawling metropolis, but smaller towns certainly exist all over the place), people, define the culture of the protagonists in a way that HoH didn't.
In short, we can turn it from "short forum RTS setting" to "potential RPG setting".
I'd rather do this by way of another game. Not sure what kind, but there's a lot of options.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2014, 06:44:43 am »

There is luck in not having anyone else settle near you.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2014, 07:00:48 am »

There is luck in not having anyone else settle near you.
Some luck for the mermen (it's common sense not to settle near another player, but it does happen as we've seen) , no luck whatsoever for the bulls (their reembarkation happens after everyone else (with the possible exception of other incredibulls, who died on the very same turn) has already made their choices.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2014, 09:12:19 am »

Okay, I've now included Ocean Tiles, which cannot normally be expanded into or conquered (but are targetable by several terrain-changing heresies). I've got a revised species list, with a different version of Merfolk and Impossibulls.

Spoiler: Species (click to show/hide)

Here's the latest heresy list, including slight changes to how Aquatic works and a new anti-ocean Heresy, Arid:

Spoiler: Heresies (click to show/hide)

[EDIT]

And here's the new map. If anyone wants to try their hand at rejigging it to make colours pop out more, or have a legible font that doesn't take up the whole of the tile, go right ahead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:03:24 am by notquitethere »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2014, 10:21:46 am »

So merfolk are invulnerable after conquering an ocean tile? I still don't like it. Also, requesting the renaming of Merciless. Maybe something like Levelers?

Also, claiming tile 113.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2014, 10:38:32 am »

So merfolk are invulnerable after conquering an ocean tile? I still don't like it. Also, requesting the renaming of Merciless. Maybe something like Levelers?

Also, claiming tile 113.
Here's why I don't think it's a bad thing: ocean tiles are unproductive (if a merfolk player expands only into the sea, then they won't have very good population development), other players have a huge incentive to transform ocean tiles into land, ocean tiles don't count towards your victory total, there's no cap on the number of Merfolk allowed in play.

Leveller isn't a bad suggestion. Doesn't alliterate with 'monkeys' though  :D

Also, claiming tile 113.
Claims will be in turn order, which is decided by population then species+heresy order (I'll be juggling around the species list a bit to put the less likely to be picked heresies and species early in the order).

I'm probably going to start this in about six hours time (10PM GMT), so if anyone wants to reserve a spot in advance or play around with the map or put forward any last minute objections to the set up, now's probably the time to do it. I'll be creating a new thread, but I'll link to it here.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:47:02 am by notquitethere »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2014, 11:14:11 am »

I'd argue that the merfolk are a bit underpowered, for the reasons you've explained above. Maybe let them set up fishing nets or something, at least?

Spoiler: The Lakers (click to show/hide)
I'll choose where to start once the tiles are numbered.
Tile 102 sounds good.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2014, 11:19:51 am »

I'd argue that the merfolk are a bit underpowered, for the reasons you've explained above. Maybe let them set up fishing nets or something, at least?
If you think they're underpowered and Dariush thinks they're overpowered, then I think I've pitched it about right  ;)

Which of the maps did you find most readable?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2014, 11:20:55 am »

True enough.

Definitely the second.
Sig

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2014, 11:25:53 am »

Here's why I don't think it's a bad thing: ocean tiles are unproductive (if a merfolk player expands only into the sea, then they won't have very good population development), other players have a huge incentive to transform ocean tiles into land, ocean tiles don't count towards your victory total, there's no cap on the number of Merfolk allowed in play.
Still nope: if a player without any terraforming powers fights merfolks, he can reduce them to a single ocean tile and they'll still be able to attack and pester him while he won't be able to do anything in return. Maybe instead set the oceans to some huge defence number (3?) which merfolk ignore?
I'm probably going to start this in about six hours time (10PM GMT), so if anyone wants to reserve a spot in advance or play around with the map or put forward any last minute objections to the set up, now's probably the time to do it. I'll be creating a new thread, but I'll link to it here.
Start the game despite only two people having joined?

As to the map, #1 with smaller numbers would be optimal, IMO.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2014, 11:36:36 am »

Ah, what I meant was I'll start a new thread with open sign ups and finalised set-up in 6 hours time. I'll add you and GWG to the sign up list. Game starts when I get enough players. I'll consider your defence suggestion for oceans.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2014, 05:38:06 am »

Well I got home and remembered that I'd knee'd my keyboard to death accidentally the day before so typing anything was somewhat out of the question. No matter.

Heretics of Hexland 2 is now open for sign-ups!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]