Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland - GAME OVER - Long Live the East Hexian Empire!  (Read 18453 times)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
Re: Heretics of Hexland - Turn-based Colonisation Game- 6/6 - Year 1 - Summer
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 03:14:26 pm »

Improve 20!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 04:28:04 pm »

Expand 6 and 7
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 07:32:31 pm »

Expand 91
Expand 65
Expand 80
Tower 91

Hearing of the bountiful harvest of local fruit, 2 ships with colonists arrive (and leave with underpriced fruit- it's nice to be the oligopolist). New colonists waste no time in claiming any nearby surface capable of sustaining farming.
A scenic field is found, filled with gorgeous wild flowers, which immediately becomes the site of 9 different hotels, hostels and inns (serving any class of traveler, from indentured colonist to merchant), quickly followed by stables, blacksmiths, restaurants and flowers shops. All remaining field space is used to grow seed grass to supply the stables. By the end of summer all flowers are gone, but at least the city remains.

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 07:44:37 pm »

I've decided to make a slight tweak to Razing, to make it slightly more useful: when you Raze a tile, you gain a one-off +1 population. OP updated as such.
2 qeustions about raze:
Do you get +1 population if your brutal raid? Does the owner of the hex?
Can you tower on a razed hex? (note that you can't improve, so I'm expecting an answer of no, but it never hurts to check)
+ speaking of, if you improve the hex with a city and raze it, do you get +2 population or just +1?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 07:50:17 pm »

I'm starting to feel like humans are OP, at least early game.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 07:58:17 pm »

They definitely are, now that I think about it. It's like they're two colonies that just have to start on the same tile.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 08:03:33 pm »

Hopefully they're just "sprinters", and their lack of special abilities becomes a detriment during the following 19 turns. Or you can band together and kill me. ::)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 08:30:08 pm »

Double starting population should only put them a turn or two ahead. A lot of other racial abilities effectively give an extra action or two, which even early game probably doesn't work out to a full turn on its own, but is available all game long.

Expand to 34, 22. Expand to 34, 61 if unable to chain expand like that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2014, 08:35:24 pm »

scapheap- you're next.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2014, 10:10:32 pm »

The thing is, the "action" the humans take is one of those that lets them grow exponentially. They start with twice as many actions. They can spend twice as many actions on growth, on increasing their number of actions. They will grow (about) twice as fast. Simple math.

P.S. It's occurring to me that it's easier to conquer every terrain type except plains than it is to expand into them. Is this intended?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 10:17:54 pm »

The thing is, the "action" the humans take is one of those that lets them grow exponentially. They start with twice as many actions. They can spend twice as many actions on growth, on increasing their number of actions. They will grow (about) twice as fast. Simple math.
But that's true for everyone, at all times. They don't grow "twice as fast," they grow one or two turns faster. A Turn 10 Antman faction will not have half as many population points as a Turn 10 Human one unless the Antmen will have doubled again by Turn 11 or 12.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 10:28:44 pm »

P.S. It's occurring to me that it's easier to conquer every terrain type except plains than it is to expand into them. Is this intended?
Well actually...
it's just as easy to expand into a forest as it is to conquer it, and it's easier to expand into a city (but what are the chances of that ever happening?). Also, on all terrains which are easier to conquer, building a fort will even the odds. That being said, I think difficulty of establishing a river/lake side settlement is overrated (unless the settlement is on top of the lake, in which case it's too low, and so is the defense)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2014, 10:49:03 pm »

But that's true for everyone, at all times. They don't grow "twice as fast," they grow one or two turns faster. A Turn 10 Antman faction will not have half as many population points as a Turn 10 Human one unless the Antmen will have doubled again by Turn 11 or 12.
The thing is, growth isn't linear. So yes, that's pretty much what will happen.

Well actually...
it's just as easy to expand into a forest as it is to conquer it, and it's easier to expand into a city (but what are the chances of that ever happening?). Also, on all terrains which are easier to conquer, building a fort will even the odds. That being said, I think difficulty of establishing a river/lake side settlement is overrated (unless the settlement is on top of the lake, in which case it's too low, and so is the defense)
I wasn't counting cities because A. it's more like an improvement and B. yeah, that ain't happening and I don't think it can.
Even if building a fortification evens the odds, isn't it a bit...odd that a fortified, defended area is easier to take than the same area with no one guarding it?
Sig

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2014, 10:59:59 pm »

I wasn't counting cities because A. it's more like an improvement and B. yeah, that ain't happening and I don't think it can.
Even if building a fortification evens the odds, isn't it a bit...odd that a fortified, defended area is easier to take than the same area with no one guarding it?
That depends- a desert is certainly easier to conquer once some roads and watering stations are in place, a river might be easier to take if it has bridges built all over it (though rivers are quite defensible, if you planned far enough ahead to be on the other side of them when the attack comes). Mountains, though, are almost certainly easier to defend the settle, unless you're building tunnels, or something like that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2014, 11:02:12 pm »

On the other hand, roads and the like are pretty easy to guard and watering holes easy to hide/destroy with proper planning. Scorched Earth and all that.

And that's not getting into the actual defenders, or the fortifications.
Sig
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11