Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland - GAME OVER - Long Live the East Hexian Empire!  (Read 18455 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Humans and raze are both OP.
Maybe... it's easy to Raze but not so easy to Irrigate. I suspect A1s might suffer in the late game against you and IronyOwl (and Lidku?), but we shall see.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

Actually, if I was forced at gunpoint to bet money on this game, I would choose IronyOwl- only a single year has passed and he is already 1 pop behind me. I expect he will overtake me before the start of year 3. :-\
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Do nothing. Or, you know, hold festivals or something. Sew doilies?

Winter is a holiday, is basically what I'm saying here.

Actually, if I was forced at gunpoint to bet money on this game, I would choose IronyOwl- only a single year has passed and he is already 1 pop behind me. I expect he will overtake me before the start of year 3. :-\
I like my odds too, but the main faction I was concerned about was the Bounty Parakeetkin- that's a brutal combination.

But then they got eaten by the Spanish Inquisition, so now it's pretty much just you and me.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

I like my odds too, but the main faction I was concerned about was the Bounty Parakeetkin- that's a brutal combination.
Yeah, the only trouble is that it's more costly to expand into forests, which means a slower early game with that strategy. Take the first three turns:

Spoiler: Early game comparison (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Why is there a random hexagon highlighted pink far to the east?
And while I'm asking about that, is there some program you're using for this or is it just Paint?

Curse those antmen and their ecologically destructive mannerisms.

Irrigate 13
Conquer 5
Irrigate 5
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]

Expand 30
Fortify 20

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

YEAR TWO SPRING

Spoiler: Map Spring Year 2 (click to show/hide)

The first occupied winter on Hexland was short and brutal. The Wester Trolls were hollowed out, their vast bodies used as modular housing units by the ever expansive Xuid Collective. Once bountiful plains were strip-mined, torn up and turned into wasteland while the new settlers grew fat on their conquests. The men of East Hexian Company grew more numerous day by day, rivalled only by the festive swines of the Empire of Naracinth. And still in their citadel, the Vorgons did plot and chatter.

In Spring, you can: Grow, Expand, Improve, Raze, Raid, Fortify; and, if you have the right Heresy: Tower or Brutal Raid.

Lidku can take his Fall and Winter turns at the beginning of his Spring turn (the only thing he can do in these two turns is possibly Raze his city,).

The turn order is:
a1s [pop 15]
kaian-a-coel [pop 6]
Lidku [pop 2]
IronyOwl [pop 8]

Why is there a random hexagon highlighted pink far to the east?
And while I'm asking about that, is there some program you're using for this or is it just Paint?
Uh oh, that was the template tile I accidentally left in. I've amended it now. I just use Paint.

Curse those antmen and their ecologically destructive mannerisms.
Sorry chief, the antmen go before you and they've wiped you out! Have you got any reflections on the game, and would you play it again?

Expand 30
Fortify 20

Is that your spring turn? You can't Expand or Fortify in Fall/Winter. Also it takes an additional action to expand into forest and you can only take two actions in Spring (so you can expand, but you wouldn't be able to fortify in the same round). Perhaps it's best to see what everyone else does first, as you might be able to raid this round.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Expand 30
Grow
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:21:55 am by Lidku »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

With the western East Hexian terrotory in shambles it quickly gets bought up by a conglomeration of freshly arrived irrigation engineers, while the excessive amount of dug up stones and dirt gets turned into building materials. Oh and the claim fever is back on

Improve 65,79,80 & 90.
Tower 101
Expand 81,67,53,40,28,18,99 & 108
Fortify 28
Grow

a1s— I assume you meant 'improve 65'. Also, you can't tower twice in the same turn.
I did indeed. Was the tower thing always a rule? I seem to have missed it...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:37:16 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Lidku
Fortify 20
Expand 30
Expand 31

Let me explain that again... you've got a population of 2. This gives you two actions to use on your turn. It costs additional actions to expand into difficult tiles (as it says in the OP). Forest tiles (the dark green ones) have difficulty +1, which means it takes two actions to expand into forests. Lakes/rivers (the light blue tiles) are difficulty +2, meaning it takes three actions to expand into them. Your suggested turn would require 6 actions to accomplish— you only have 2 actions. You could expand into one Forest tile, OR fortify your city.

a1s— I assume you meant 'improve 65'. Also, you can't tower twice in the same turn.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Expand 30

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First, I thought they left me 23.

Second, I'd like to recommend a bit of balancing. I'm pretty dang sure that the Westers couldn't have hollowed out the Ants like that if they tried (and went first).

And yeah, I'd like to play again.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

a1s
I did indeed. Was the tower thing always a rule? I seem to have missed it...
Yeah, I double-checked the source document from before I even started this and it's been there since the beginning.

First, I thought they left me 23.
Conquer 13 and 23; raze 13, 5 and 6. Sorry GWG.

GWG
Second, I'd like to recommend a bit of balancing. I'm pretty dang sure that the Westers couldn't have hollowed out the Ants like that if they tried (and went first).

And yeah, I'd like to play again.
Going first in a fight imparts a massive bonus. Do you think changing the turn order between seasons would help? Or giving some mechanism for changing your position in the turn order? Your trolls and kaian's antmen were exactly the same stat-wise in combat, the antmen just had the benefit of going first. The benefit of starting further down the turn order is that you get to pick a safer spot to begin with.

Is there any specific change you'd suggest to aid balancing?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Changing turn order between turns would probably help. Or maybe having each player's Actions be played...if Bob, Alice, and Charlie had 2, 4, and 3 Actions, and their turns were in alphabetical order, Alice would get an action, then Bob, then Charlie, then Alice, then Bob, then Charlie, then Alice, then Charlie, then Alice.

I'm not sure...but the trolls' bonus seems pretty weak if you aren't in an extremely mountainous area. Same with all terrain-based advantages.
Sig

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Here's an idea: how about resolving actions in order of population, giving a slight benefit to people who are further behind in population number.

The terrain bonuses could be stronger. Maybe all the terrain bonuses should just be like the Djinn bonus: so trolls would be able to take over mountains as if they were fields.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11