Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland - GAME OVER - Long Live the East Hexian Empire!  (Read 18468 times)

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland - Turn-based Colonisation Game- 6/6 - Year 1 - Summer
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2014, 04:05:29 am »

I'll use my heresy
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2014, 04:42:46 am »

a1s
2 qeustions about raze:
Do you get +1 population if your brutal raid? Does the owner of the hex?
Can you tower on a razed hex? (note that you can't improve, so I'm expecting an answer of no, but it never hurts to check)
+ speaking of, if you improve the hex with a city and raze it, do you get +2 population or just +1?
You do get +1 population if you brutally raze a hex, the owner gets -1 pop for having their land raided. The rule against not improving a razed tile it to prevent players from razing-improving-razing-improving the same tile over and over in the same round. As you can Raze cities, I'm going to rule that you can't use Raze and Tower on the same tile in the same turn: I've updated the OP. If you lose a city (through razing or some other means), you lose a population point as your minimum population level drops, so razing your own city is somewhat counterproductive unless you anticipate it being invaded or you want to turn the tile to another use.

kaian-a-coel
I'm starting to feel like humans are OP, at least early game.
Hopefully, their lack of mid-to-late game advantages will balance this out. I guess we'll find out by playing! Remember you can use private messages to form secret alliances if you think one player is getting too powerful.

IronyOwl
Expand to 34, 22. Expand to 34, 61 if unable to chain expand like that.
Chain expansion is perfectly fine. That's one of the reasons why there's an enforced turn order.

GWG
P.S. It's occurring to me that it's easier to conquer every terrain type except plains than it is to expand into them. Is this intended?
Yes: it incentivises both conquering and fortifying, and, I think, reflects the fact that invading a settled domain is easier than building infrastructure in harsh terrain; or at least, it takes longer. (You still lose population for invading, so Expanding is better for increasing your total amount of actions, even if it's slower).

It's just you to act now, GWG, then I'll move us all on to Fall.

I did consider giving all occupied tiles +1 defence merely for being settled, but I'm not sure about that. What do people think? [Maybe if I run this again. Bit late now.]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:07:01 am by notquitethere »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2014, 08:33:07 am »

I did consider giving all occupied tiles +1 defence merely for being settled, but I'm not sure about that. What do people think?
I though defense only applied to settled hexes?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2014, 08:57:19 am »

I did consider giving all occupied tiles +1 defence merely for being settled, but I'm not sure about that. What do people think?
I'm pretty sure it does.

Anyways. Expand 5.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2014, 09:42:23 am »

YEAR ONE FALL

Spoiler: Map Fall Year 1 (click to show/hide)

And so the civilisations began to expand. To the West the sounds of hammer, the calls of ploughmen, were all unceasing. It was in this time that the first of the great cities was founded: East Hexian Company's Hextown to the south and Ook, the monkey stronghold to the north.

As well as any special Heresy actions, you can do any of the following: Harvest, Conquer, Raze, Raid. Lidku and Ironyowl still can't directly interact with anyone else this round, so you two can submit your actions out of turn if you like (actually, I don't think Lidku can do anything productive this season).

The turn order is, as ever:
a1s [pop 5]
kaian-a-coel [pop 2]
Lidku [pop 2]
IronyOwl [pop 2]
scapheap [pop 2]
GreatWyrmGold [pop 1]

a1s
It does. As it currently stands, an occupied field only costs one action to conquer. Maybe that's okay? As the game is a completely open set up, people know ahead of time whether they'll be in any risk of being conquered and can plan against it.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2014, 09:47:43 am »

With the growing season over, the humans turn towards their other hobby... Mergers and acquisitions
Conquer 100
Conquer 101 (+1)
Improve 101
Harvest.

It really sucks that you can't even fortify during fall and winter...
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2014, 09:58:09 am »

a1s
It really sucks that you can't even fortify during fall and winter...
The essential reason is so that the seasons have a kind of flow of growth and fortification, followed by seasons of conquest style expansion, and leaving winter with little to do other than raid or conquer is supposed to incentivise leaving conquering up until winter. A player has to make the decision between expanding and leaving themselves open, or staying put and defending what they do have. I might want to run the game again and so I'll keep track of what's working and isn't working.

scapheap
Eek! Sorry about your early demise. It was a tough start: maybe embarking towards the less populated southeast part of the map would have worked out better? If you've got any comments on the set-up, I'd like to hear them. Would you play this again?

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2014, 10:07:07 am »

scapheap
Eek! Sorry about your early demise. It was a tough start: maybe embarking towards the less populated southeast part of the map would have worked out better? If you've got any comments on the set-up, I'd like to hear them. Would you play this again?
Probable. I misread where a1s embark. For some reason, I though 90 was where 20 was and by the time I relise my mistake, it was turn two. Oh well.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland - Turn-based Colonisation Game- 6/6 - Year 1 - Fall
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2014, 10:43:08 am »

Harvest.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 11:32:53 am »

Conquer 5
Harvest
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2014, 02:34:34 am »

Just Lidku and IronyOwl now then I'll move the season on.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2014, 02:46:24 am »

Harvest x2
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2014, 05:19:37 am »

YEAR ONE WINTER

Spoiler: Map Winter Year 1 (click to show/hide)

The East Hexian conquest was swift and bloody. Parakeetkin feathers littered their treetop temples, whilst the human Builders consoled themselves that in order to enshrine the world in stone and steel, these tree-worshipping savages had to be removed. And so the Lilly Kingdom's presence in Hexland came to an end. Elsewhere to the east, the Empire of Naracinth grew more populous, endless sties of sows whelped litter after litter of fresh swine. In the north, the monkeys chattered in their towers, biding their time. To the west, the warrior antmen of the Xiud Collective marched on the rock gardens of the Wester Colonists, the Chaotic trolls retreating to gather boulders before the season came to an end.

In Winter, you can only: Conquer, Raze, Raid; and, if you have the right Heresy: Tower or Brutal Raid.

I'm going to assume that Lidku didn't want to Raze his city. But maybe he did? Either way, there's no way he can interact with anyone else in Winter, so he can take his Fall turn at the same time as his Winter turn if he did want to Raze.

The turn order is:
a1s [pop 9]
kaian-a-coel [pop 5]
Lidku [pop 2]
IronyOwl [pop 8]
GreatWyrmGold [pop 3]

(Let me know if any of those figures are not what you expected. Bare in mind that conquering reduces your own population by 1, population changes occur at the end of your turn, and turns are processed in a strict order.)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:02:32 am by notquitethere »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

A few weeks after the last of the Parakettin are "incorporated", a rumor spreads about a secret Parakettin document detaling the location of silver ore, that the mayor of Capiton is holding until he can prepare an expedition in the spring. No one really knows where this ore could be, but everyone has a theory. By the end of winter, not a single piece of land remains unriddled with holes. Shovel Co. (primarily owned by the mayor's nephew) becomes a household name.

Raze 65
Raze 79
Raze 80
Raze 90
Raze 100
Raze 101

(but not 91)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

Humans and raze are both OP.

Conquer 13 and 23; raze 13, 5 and 6. Sorry GWG.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11