Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help creating custom weapons, if you please  (Read 800 times)

Valthero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • YouTube account
Help creating custom weapons, if you please
« on: February 13, 2014, 01:31:07 am »

It's my first time playing Dwarf Fortress in who knows how long, so bear with me here. I lost my old modded files when I switched PCs and am relearning how to do all of the things. I'm trying to add a few custom weapons to my Metalsmith's Forge, but they aren't appearing in the workshop, and I'm stumped. I'm positive there's a crucial step that I'm missing, so goes:

Spoiler: "item_weapon.txt" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "entity_default.txt" (click to show/hide)

But, as you can see, the bec de corbin is nowhere to be found in the list. I started a fresh embark to test. Wat do?
Bugbats, all of you.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help creating custom weapons, if you please
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 06:09:49 am »

Fresh embark my nose. Did you generate a new world, like you should've?

Civilization reaction/equipment permissions are like the book 1, page 1 of stuff that's only applied during worldgen.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:40:28 am »

Also, I don't think halberd is a skill.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:08:46 pm »

Major issue is the naming

Weapon name:
BEC_DE_CORBIN

Entity adding weapon:
WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BEC_DE_CORBIN

you do not have a ITEM_WEAPON_BEC_DE_CORBIN weapon you have a BEC_DE_CORBIN weapon so

[WEAPON:BEC_DE_CORBIN]

will fix it. Also Urist McDwarf is corrrect there is no HALBERD skill just use the AXE skill or if you really must PIKE.
Now there can be alot of debate on weither a halbert like weapon is an AXE or PIKE it's probably safer to say AXE since that is the most used action (hacking) but in doing so DF allows you to cut trees with a Halbert because it's an AXE weapon (it's probably possible to do it, but I'd rather use a real axe then a halbert for tree felling)

EDIT:
As per scamtank a world regen is required for new entity changes or at least most changes.

Valthero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • YouTube account
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 12:16:50 pm »

Fresh embark my nose. Did you generate a new world, like you should've?

Civilization reaction/equipment permissions are like the book 1, page 1 of stuff that's only applied during worldgen.
I see. I did not generate a new world, just embarked from a previously generated world. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I don't think halberd is a skill.
I completely derped there. Thanks for pointing that out.

Major issue is the naming

Weapon name:
BEC_DE_CORBIN

Entity adding weapon:
WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BEC_DE_CORBIN

you do not have a ITEM_WEAPON_BEC_DE_CORBIN weapon you have a BEC_DE_CORBIN weapon so

[WEAPON:BEC_DE_CORBIN]

will fix it. Also Urist McDwarf is corrrect there is no HALBERD skill just use the AXE skill or if you really must PIKE.
Now there can be alot of debate on weither a halbert like weapon is an AXE or PIKE it's probably safer to say AXE since that is the most used action (hacking) but in doing so DF allows you to cut trees with a Halbert because it's an AXE weapon (it's probably possible to do it, but I'd rather use a real axe then a halbert for tree felling)

EDIT:
As per scamtank a world regen is required for new entity changes or at least most changes.
Cool, thanks. I feel like a noob again, haha. Gonna try again with these changes and see if it works.  :)

EDIT: It worked! Thanks for the help, everybody.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:31:10 pm by Valthero »
Bugbats, all of you.