Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A cheap way ahead?  (Read 1012 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
A cheap way ahead?
« on: February 12, 2014, 01:34:42 pm »

Today i was asked by my college adviser if i had any problems in math in school which i said yes to {because i did}. An although we were on the same page
that i was doing good in my other classes i did come forth with a bit of a dirty secret. I was diagnosed with a learning disability when i was young in elementary and it followed me through high school/college. My question is the following: Is it possible that without this "leveling the playing field" option i wouldn't be able to succeed in college or life?

I've heard genes play a significant role in IQ and although I've never taken the test, it feels like i wound't be very good at it...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A cheap way ahead?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:07:04 pm »

I can't understand the content of your post.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 11:48:48 pm »

That post was a bit hard to understand.

If you have trouble with math, and someone is offering to help, then accept the help. It's not cheap, and no one will judge you for it. Those systems exist for a reason.

I am in exactly the same situation.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:09:46 am »

If you're not cheating, you're not trying. Get all the extracurricular help you can get.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 12:56:32 am »

Today i was asked by my college adviser if i had any problems in math in school which i said yes to {because i did}. An although we were on the same page
that i was doing good in my other classes i did come forth with a bit of a dirty secret. I was diagnosed with a learning disability when i was young in elementary and it followed me through high school/college. My question is the following: Is it possible that without this "leveling the playing field" option i wouldn't be able to succeed in college or life?

I've heard genes play a significant role in IQ and although I've never taken the test, it feels like i wound't be very good at it...

Okay, first of all, did you have an IEP in highschool? Looking at that should be a great way to get a feel for what areas you're going to need to keep an eye on in college.

Second big point: IQ doesn't mean much. Taking it on a good day, I could score in the none-too-shabby range. Taking it after an electromagnetism exam and I'd probably score in the sea slug range. Don't trust anything that claims to measure an abstract quantity that differs across about a zillion different areas of expertise, while also differing across time and situation. 

PS: Level the playing field whenever possible. College is very much an 'us' and 'them' experience, with students on one side and exams/professors on the other. As long as you aren't breaking any rules of the game (academic integrity), play as hard as you can, and have no qualms about shortcuts. You're there to win, not martyr yourself on the pointy spines of academia.

PS2: Are you U.S or U.K? Learning disability has different meanings in different places.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:58:53 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 02:22:02 am »

I'm guessing this learning disability, like dyslexia, gives him extra time to complete tests and other such extra consideration. He wants to know if he should use the disability for its bonus slack. Obviously, yes, you should. University is not about being more intelligent, it's about being credentialed.

As for being learning disabled, no big deal there. We're all a bunch of retards, and life is most bearable for those people that don't realise the fact. Wish yourself stupider, rather than smarter!
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 07:44:29 pm »

Best I can suggest is, try to get stuff done in the time everyone else is alloted - but ask for the help anyway just in case you can't.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic