Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dead State (Z-word survival RPG) Early Access  (Read 4296 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dead State (Z-word survival RPG) Early Access
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 12:51:52 pm »

In a bit of a twist, the game apparently has no mention of the 'Z' word at all. The devs have said they've set the game in a world where 'zombie' fiction isn't abundant and thus a term for the dead coming back to life hasn't been coined.

That's not a twist, that's retarded. It lets the devs say "We have this game where the dead are walking around attacking you waitwaititsnotazombiegameREALLYseeitsnotinthecanon."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 12:57:10 pm »

My initial try, this is unoptimized.  So it went like molasses for me, which killed my wanting to even leave the base. 

And yea, Dead State has been moving along like a glacier for years now.   *Shrug*.  It'll get here when it gets here... or it won't ever, that is just how I see kickstarter.  Kickstarters can and will fail... as many of you know what happened to Cult.  It happens, calling em all scammers ain't doing anyone favors.
As for Dead State, it is still being worked on and that is still better then nothing.  For reference though, I have never bothered with nor do I know anything about that PAX demo ya'll keep referencing.

Kinda like how I see the War for the Underworld game.  Glacial movement for years.  Though, it has picked up speed since after its kickstarter I reckon.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 01:52:09 pm »

It's almost as if, after so little motion for so long you think it must be dead, it begins moving again ...

Maybe their dev process is an artistic meta-statement on the genre.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 05:14:02 pm »

Hmm. A bit disheartening to hear all of that. I backed it so I have the early access anyway. Might try it out at some point, just to see how I like what they've done so far.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 05:16:13 pm »

My initial try, this is unoptimized.  So it went like molasses for me, which killed my wanting to even leave the base. 

And yea, Dead State has been moving along like a glacier for years now.   *Shrug*.  It'll get here when it gets here... or it won't ever, that is just how I see kickstarter.  Kickstarters can and will fail... as many of you know what happened to Cult.  It happens, calling em all scammers ain't doing anyone favors.
As for Dead State, it is still being worked on and that is still better then nothing.  For reference though, I have never bothered with nor do I know anything about that PAX demo ya'll keep referencing.

Kinda like how I see the War for the Underworld game.  Glacial movement for years.  Though, it has picked up speed since after its kickstarter I reckon.

FWIW, in the last couple months War For the Overworld has really started to pick up steam. Whole UI is being overhauled, final game textures added, performance optimizations....I can happily say the game is starting to come along now after it's ~6 month crawl through the Bedrock Beta.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 08:34:40 pm »

After trying this out, I think it seems very interested. I just hope the final version is not too story-driven.  Despite all the horrible bugs, I really enjoyed Fort Zombie.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 10:15:05 am »

In a bit of a twist, the game apparently has no mention of the 'Z' word at all. The devs have said they've set the game in a world where 'zombie' fiction isn't abundant and thus a term for the dead coming back to life hasn't been coined.

That's not a twist, that's retarded. It lets the devs say "We have this game where the dead are walking around attacking you waitwaititsnotazombiegameREALLYseeitsnotinthecanon."

I disagree.

It's set in a world in which zombie 'culture' isn't in much of an existence. There 'may' be the mention of something similar in a few obscure fictional works, but the fact is that the dead coming back to life is a huge shock/surprise to the characters.

I realise the last line is a little bit odd, as I'm sure it would come as a shock to everyone if the dead started rising in the real world - but at least if they did, we're almost 'prepared' for it by the mainstream entertainment industry.

"Oh, zombies!? Wow...okay...well we know we need to destroy the brain..."

But the Dead State characters aren't, and it'll be nice to see the characters struggle with a totally new concept and watch how they try to adapt throughout the story.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 12:08:21 am »

So, this has updated a bunch, and is now in Early Access with a playable "unending" campaign. Been playing around with it, and besides a few bugs that killed my save because by the time I realized there WAS a bug, I was halfway into a map and my last save was 5 ingame days ago, it seems pretty solid. Lost one of my starting guys to a raidoer early on when they had a gun and I didn't. Two pops in the face and the cop dropped like a rock and before we could rescue him, the bandit executed him. He then get mobbed by three zombies and ran out of ammo.

Steam Early Access page:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/239840/

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 03:59:26 am »

I realise the last line is a little bit odd, as I'm sure it would come as a shock to everyone if the dead started rising in the real world - but at least if they did, we're almost 'prepared' for it by the mainstream entertainment industry.

"Oh, zombies!? Wow...okay...well we know we need to destroy the brain..."

Because obviously, if the dead did start coming back to life as shambling monstrosities in the real world, they'd still adhere to our rules of fiction  ;)

Also, I was totally stoked for Dead State at some point. That was a long time ago. I tried the current build not too long ago and it seemed decidedly "meh" both in writing quality and engine quality. A shame, the pitch was promising at least.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 04:09:29 am »

I really like the beta already, there are just too many unfinished areas and bugs to play it much. I'm looking forward to the finished product. I just hope they reverse the "only-player-can-lead-people-to-do-anything-outside-the-shelter"-policy. In beta I quickly got a dozen survivors, with only six or seven having anything to do at the same time. It had been nice to be able to send some to forage, like fish or do woodcutting while I'm doing the really dangerous stuff. Maybe they'll come up with more ways to use people staying at home. Plus I'd like to see the shelter actually coming under assaults at some points, by zombies and/or raiders.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 03:14:36 pm »

Ah, yea.  The really early beta was just too unplayable for me.  So...  I'm still waiting for this to get better.  Though, I may just be better off waiting till it is completed.  Got lots of other games to play.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 [2]