Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Halp, need computer, how i mine for mobo?  (Read 497 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Halp, need computer, how i mine for mobo?
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:19:53 pm »

So it's been 10 years since I've owned a modern desktop.  I need to do something about this.  I figure that I can throw 500 bucks at the problem and get something decent.  I don't really know what I'm doing though so I decided to just go to Logical Increments and go across the fair row.  I decided to go up a step on the cpu because 20 bucks seems like a cheap price for an extra two cores to waste on extra chrome tabs and alt tabbing my programs.  So I've got:

grafix, cpu,HD, RAM, power, case

This is good, right?  I'm not some graphics junkie who wants to max out all the settings on Crysis (or even play it tph) but I figure this should open my horizons.  I'll be able to try pretty much anything modern (I hope?)

Of course what's missing from my list right now is a motherboard.  The logical increments fair tier recommendation is sold out and this is something I have zero experience in buying.  I'm thinking that http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138366 looks pretty similar but am like crazy afraid I'll mess this choice up.  Should I just wait for logical increments to come up with a new recommendation?  Should I go for it?  Should I go for something completely different?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Halp, need computer, how i mine for mobo?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:01:30 pm »

Link the sold out mobo for comparison.

Glancing it over:

-Get another 4 gig of ram, at least. The board supports up to 64gig o.0

-A 500w PSU wouldn't hurt.

-New mobo doesn't state PCI-Express 3.0 support. I don't know if that will cause your PCI-E 3.0 card to underperform, or if it will basically perform the same. I don't think it'd NOT perform, but research it.

Everything else looks solid. The socket for that mobo matches your processor, the board takes serial ATA connections which your HD has, the stated memory is within the range of the mobo. You've got enough juice (i'd recommend a touch more though.)

With that rig you can expect to play games released in the last 2 years near max, generally speaking, and can take a shot at high for stuff released for the next year or two.

Seriously though, have a total of at least 8gigs of memory. With that much capacity, go nuts and go for 16 just for shits and giggles.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:08:29 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:08:40 pm »

I just dont see why I need that much RAM, can I settle for 6 or does it need to be symmetric?

For comparison the sold out mobo

SeaSonic seems fine if you think more is more.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:19:08 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:58:52 pm »

Most memory modules are sold in 1, 2, 4 or 8 gig sticks. There's no law that you have to have 8 gigs, but it's basically the standard for modern gaming. It leaves enough memory for a modern OS like Win 7 (which takes 2 gigs all its own), and leaves enough for basically the most a game can ask for. Plus.....multi-tasking while also gaming at max settings.

Truly no one needs more than 8 unless they're doing something like 3d modeling, ect.... but with how cheap memory is, and being a gamer, purposefully undershooting 8 is an odd choice unless you're seriously strapped for cash.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 09:56:46 am »

Purchases are made, wish me luck!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]