Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is my game crashing? [Solved]  (Read 440 times)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why is my game crashing? [Solved]
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:39:40 pm »

So I'm about 8 years into a fortress in a lightly modded world, and something is making my game crash. I'm not getting any announcement before it does, but it always happens at a consistent time, about two or three minutes of unpaused play after after loading from the most recent save.

Mod-wise, I gave a bunch of exotics the [pet] tag and GCSs the [child] tag and modded out all the civilized races except dwarves and kobolds, but it's otherwise vanilla. I also fiddled with the megabeast numbers and did a short worldgen, so there are an unusual number of those around, and that seems to have caused a similar issue once already; the game would run for a while after being loaded, but then crash, and I'd have to go back to the last seasonal save, and eventually an ettin showed up and got cage trapped and the crashes stopped. However, that doesn't seem to be the issue this time, since I've tried turning invaders off and the same thing still happens. I also thought that it might be an issue of a glitched item that came in with the traders, but forbidding the entire depot doesn't stop the crash either. Is there anything else I can check? I don't want to put in a bug report with so little idea of what's going on here.

I've uploaded the save here if anybody wants to take a look at it - I've made pretty extensive use of the workflow and buildingplan tools from DFHack, though, so I'm not actually sure if it'll load properly without those.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:13:28 pm by AdeleneDawner »
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is my game crashing?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 02:06:23 pm »

What time of year is it in game? Without knowing more, I'm going to guess, "Glitched items coming in with traders." Forbidding depots doesn't stop traders from showing up.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 02:09:50 pm »

It's early winter, actually, I just finished my trading and the dwarves are hauling their new loot back to the fortress. I was thinking that taking a glitched item out of the depot might be the issue.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 06:12:02 pm »

Wow, that's a lot of spiders. And track stops.
Your meat intake minecart disappeared. Deleting the route seemingly fixes the problem. Assigning other cart (not none) usually fixes it as well.
This is the only reason I get crashes these days.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 07:13:12 pm »

Wow, that's a lot of spiders. And track stops.
Your meat intake minecart disappeared. Deleting the route seemingly fixes the problem. Assigning other cart (not none) usually fixes it as well.
This is the only reason I get crashes these days.

I am a fan of both giant spiders and quantum stockpiles, yes. ^^

And, hmm. I just sold all my extra minecarts off, and apparently that one got sold too, which is pretty weird. Deleting the route did work for me, though. Thanks!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is my game crashing? [Solved]
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:19:41 pm »

This sounds like the minecart logic is pulling the equivalent of designating a building, then deconstructing the building holding the building material you picked, then the dwarf doing the building canceling the job because he can't find the building material (specific block, or whatever) specified.  In this case, instead of just saying "yo! I can't find that minecart!" the game finds a more spectacular way to say "I can't do that!". ;)

BTW, I really need to learn to minecart. Especially since I've been playing DF longer than minecarts have been an option.

Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"