Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You most impressive start locations?  (Read 1716 times)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You most impressive start locations?
« on: October 30, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »

3: Human town + magma = fun.
2: Oceanside. The waves and beach animals are just stuning.
1: My favourite by a large margin, a very clify area. There's no water nor wood so there,s a callenge getting the farm up and running. There area is roughly divided into 4 based on the height of the relevant plateau.

First there's the base level and the few levels just above it, then there's the depths, below the surface, then the first great plateau with what i imagive to be an exelent view of the plains below. Above that, there's the second(starting) plateau with a gold vein within 8 squares of the starting wagon(with a fort named "gildedtombs" by the RNG i don't know if that's good or bad). Even hinger up there's the third great plateu with a few high cliff spires towering up. Each "block" is about 6-7 floors high and will have it's own distictive task when i'm done.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: You most impressive start locations?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 04:26:00 pm »

someone (on the SA forum I think) got a haunted forest that had twelve screens of undead fish.  He didn't last too long I don't think.
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:36:00 pm »

I just started a new game with the new version, and could understand why I was looking at a cart and some dwarves standing on a huge grey square of +:es surrounded by empty space, until I realised that yes... my wagon and dwarves are in fact on top of a human fortress.

These will be interesting times.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »

MY most recent map has an open magma vent, red sand and rock salt cliffs. The magma vent is located in a pit about 4 levels down and the sides of the pit are COVERED in magnetite and platinum. The pit has no ramps in but does have one opening to the edge of the screen. At this opening there is a large amount of red sand. This sand is maybe 50-100 tiles from the magma. That includes turns. The pit is split in to a north and south section. The opening, sand and magma are all in the north section, the south section is pretty much empty. It is divided along a straight line and each section is completely flat. This is only in about half of the map, on a 3x4 map. The one problem is there are no trees anywhere.

I only take maps with open magma vents right now simply because it is so easy to set up an early metal industry with it. To find a spot with a magma vent, when choosing a spot to build look for a dark red wave on the local map. Red sand is light red, magma is dark red. Also I believe on the mini map in the game areas that have a red tint to them have magma under them. Good for finding underground vents.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 05:10:00 pm »

In a goblin Fort i was right near the top of this mountain and the goblins were right at the bottom with about 10 lvls of cliff between us, in the end my dwarves were starving to death because i had no water or soil to farm with so i tunneled into the dwarf fort and went down in a blaze of glory
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 05:30:00 pm »

I've got a fort in a 3tallx7wide area which has a volcano on the right, a brook in the middle, and a chasm on the left (troglodytes, giant cave swallows, and caveswallowmen). Awesome setup with those 3 features in one small map.
Just a couple of problems: 80% of the map is sedimentary with an aquifer so stone and ore are hard to come by, and the forest cover is sparse so I can't rely much on wood to make stuff with either.

Should be a decent challenge due to the relative scarcity of materials.

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Trukkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 05:38:00 pm »

After an hour of searching for somewhere with no aquifier, plenty of trees, an actual mountain to dig into, non-scorching/freezing and non terrifying, I just gave up and thumped the arrow keys, hit e and selected "Play Now!"

It gave me a mountain, a brook, no aquifier, temperate climate, thousands of trees, coal, lignite, magnetite, about 20 farm plots worth of peat and the most vicious thing around is a lone mountain goat. Only weird thing is there's some ice walls right at the very top of the map.
Thanks RNG and Toady! I'm going to savescum this one as hard as I can.

He needs distractions to get through the working day.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 06:14:00 pm »

At the edge of some tall (-10 to the bottom) cliffs, with the cliffs to the south and east, and a brook running off into a chasm (-10 to the bottom waterfall) right in the middle.  Presently building downward along both sides of the chasm right after the waterfall.  Lots of native platinum and magnetite.  I set up my farming just below ground, with a wall grate to allow irrigation runoff into the chasm.  Only problem is that all the trees are on the ground at the bottom of the cliffs.

I channeled out the edge of a good sized pond on the edge of the cliffs to see what would happen and it was pretty neat, watching the water cascade off and into the forest below.  I was harassed earlier by a large flying elephan . . err giant eagle (same E symbol).

Earlier while I was just playing around with another fort, I made a three story apartment complex above ground for my dwarves to live in.

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Lord_Phoenix ]