Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vampires...  (Read 4257 times)

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
Vampires...
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:31:45 pm »

So, the common vampire problem has arisen in my fort, but with a bit of a problem.
I've singled out the vampire already, but she appears to have all the guards under her thumb.

Shes drained the blood from 5 people already, with 2 resulting in death. The other 3 times, the victims narrowly escaped death. This vampire even tried to drain my prissy excuse for a baron. 2 of those attacks, I sent in my military, who stood idle nearby, picking their noses, while the vampire slaked her thirst.

I've been trying to bring her to justice, but no murder case has been opened up in the Justice screen.

Her recent draining has me stunned.
She drained the blood of a freshly recruited person to the fortress guard while he slept INSIDE THE BARRACKS WITH ALL THE OTHER GUARDS TRAINED NEARBY!
Literally all the other guards saw her feasting, even the Captain saw her, but they did exactly NOTHING. They even had the "witnessed death" thought.

I wanted to avoid going to the forums with this, but I'd rather bring her swift justice at the hands of the hammerer than to seal her in some room forever.

Anyone have tips on how to get the murder case up? Has this happened before to anyone? Is this vampire just so sexy that the guards howl like wolves and forgive her for draining their comrade?
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 12:07:02 am »

You can always lock her in a room, then dump vicious wild animals in through the ceiling.

I'm not sure whether the case will ever go through the justice system if there were that many witnesses who refused to report her. Although it could be that guards cant report crimes, perhaps, and therefore couldn't start a case without a civilian witness? I dunno...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 12:43:56 am »

Oh ho ho ho! I found a use for her, a necromancer siege. Ahahah, AHAHAHHAHA
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 04:20:52 pm »

You could always just use her blood to

vampirize your whole fort and fix the vampire sobriety problem.

Immortal fortresses full of never-sleeping, never-eating, undead-immune, incredibly muscular, inexhaustible, drown-proof dwarves are kind of fun. :3
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Manikinator

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Urist McManiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 04:28:30 pm »

yeah I had this problem last week, a Vampire came in a migration wave alone. After 2 boys died, I found that the vampire had like 2k+ kills. I promoted her to captain of the guard, and she got the "Serial killer" tag.

I made a borrow of 1x1 dimensions in her room, assigned her and walled off the door. after like 5 months she finally died.

Dwarves never knew she was missing for a week and stuff.
The Manikinator

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 05:49:19 pm »

You could always just use her blood to

vampirize your whole fort and fix the vampire sobriety problem.
Still haven't gotten around to doing a full 'sneaky vampire' interaction. Thirst is pretty simple since it's a flat 75,000 ticks until dehydration. Starvation is a combination of 'time elapsed since eating' and 'remaining fat', with a particularly tubby founder being able to last until the first migration wave. Sleep is also fairly simple. Dwarves go insane at slightly different times, but after five months of making a dwarf stand on a trap you're probably going to be a little vague on exactly how long they've been there.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 01:05:55 pm »

yeah I had this problem last week, a Vampire came in a migration wave alone. After 2 boys died, I found that the vampire had like 2k+ kills. I promoted her to captain of the guard, and she got the "Serial killer" tag.

I made a borrow of 1x1 dimensions in her room, assigned her and walled off the door. after like 5 months she finally died.

How did she die?

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 08:21:24 pm »

How did she die?

He starved her to death.
----Update

My fort was sacked, so the problem was solved by undead murdering everyone and with my vampire going Melancoly and finishing the fortress off. Too much !!FUN!!, so little time.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 10:38:21 pm »

I didn't think Vampires starved. I thought they just went insane after a while of thirsting for blood. You can kill them by violence, but not very easily.

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 02:52:26 am »

They don't go insane if they don't feed, IME.  In two of my forts I have a vampire trader who is locked in an airlock that contains the Trade Depot, in his own room with a locked door.  He hasn't fed for years and is perfectly happy, as long as I keep him stocked in fresh clothes.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 04:56:34 am »

Just get a vampire kitted out in full leather armour, throw him in a 3 x 3 room with a table and chair and tell him to play manager and bookkeeper.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 12:19:41 pm »

They don't go insane if they don't feed, IME.  In two of my forts I have a vampire trader who is locked in an airlock that contains the Trade Depot, in his own room with a locked door.  He hasn't fed for years and is perfectly happy, as long as I keep him stocked in fresh clothes.

I can confirm that since my current vampire has been imprisioned and hasn't fed for nearly 40 years.

Also, my vampire is perma-tired, any idea how to fix? She also has a stuck diagnosis.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 12:23:23 pm »

True. If in the unmodded game, your vampire dies of thirst, hunger or drowning, it wasn't a vampire.
My pair of vampires have been walled in for years and are overall quite happy (because they're not getting punished for their murders).

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 09:52:51 pm »

I have a pair of Vampires.  One is the manger and the other WAS the bookkeeper.  I had to make the last one the Hammerer, making the old Hammerer the new bookkeeper, as the accounts were slowly becoming full of errors.  I realized that the bookkeeper may need to MOVE about the Fortress to check on the inventory.  Me stupid.   ::)

Now everybody is happy as the records are slowly going back to being correct, nobody has been hammered by the Nobles (because the Hammerer is trapped in a sealed room), and nobody gets their blood sucked out of them.   :D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:27:27 am by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 10:03:36 pm »

Regarding the perma-tired vampire, it probably had something to do with her having a healthcare glitch that kept procedures from completing or continuing properly. She started going on a killing spree and since she was glitched anyway, I decided to just kill her via falling rocks.
Pages: [1] 2