Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 90

Author Topic: Thawed (Wrapping Up)  (Read 109352 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Thawed (Non-Training Montage 1--The Smugglers' Den)
« Reply #1035 on: April 03, 2014, 02:44:35 pm »

The part about magic and the camp being armed.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: April 03, 2014, 02:46:19 pm »

Well, the first part means that Kyle really can't escape. Because...well...guards and stuff.

The second...well...before, people probably would have killed and definitely would have ostracized him. Now, Finna would probably hunt him down if he fled. Later...after he's a hero, he'll be a part of society--and a pretty respected one, too.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: April 03, 2014, 02:47:21 pm »

It doesn't change the fact that this is boring.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: April 03, 2014, 02:49:10 pm »

((Point is, nothing is moving forward at all. Can we just skip to the end of basic training and get to the dang adventure already? I'm fairly sure we can RP out how the whole thing works out without needing vast amounts of distracting interludes that'll take us years to get through. Streamlining, man. Try it. I kind of want to get to the fun parts.))
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:56:15 pm by Harry Baldman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 03, 2014, 08:01:36 pm »

It doesn't change the fact that this is boring.
This the game, or this basic training?
In the former case, then why didn't you complain about that earlier? Hell of a lot more relevant than bringing up already-addressed issues about why the war is or complaining about "grimdark".
If the latter...well...yeah, that's the military I guess.

((Point is, nothing is moving forward at all. Can we just skip to the end of basic training and get to the dang adventure already? I'm fairly sure we can RP out how the whole thing works out without needing vast amounts of distracting interludes that'll take us years to get through. Streamlining, man. Try it. I kind of want to get to the fun parts.))
Yeah...never one of my strong suits.

All in favor of skipping the interludes?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: April 03, 2014, 08:03:18 pm »

Skip.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: April 03, 2014, 08:05:43 pm »

Sure, skip.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1042 on: April 03, 2014, 09:47:57 pm »

SKIP.

Can you fetch me the specific scenes where he said those things and show me a lack of reaction by those around him?
And they were partially justified in that the main reason she would be is i something bad happened.

You haven't said anything against my argument. WHY WOULD HANS' BOTHERS NOT KEEP HIM LOCKED UP AS HE IS OBVIOUSLY A THREAT TO THEIR CLAIMS ON THE THRONE?  He is obviously not favored by anyone so there is no reason the king would let him continue running amok, ecpseacially when he has, what, nine brothers that want him as far from the throne as possible? And another thing, why would they let him make an army considering how easy it would be for him to force the next in line to give over the throne with one?
I can confirm that there was little reaction when the duke accused her of being a monster, and a sorceror. But its probably because sorcery isn't vilified in that universe, and that everyone understood that the duke was just trying to loudly justify having his men join the chase so they could assassinate her. She freezes the royal palace at the end of the movie for her subjects and the guests of the coronation and everyone loves it. It's clearly not even a big deal.

Right, I can't see any reason why Hans would be able to raise an army. Unless his brothers sent him to subjugate the throne. Its implied that he has several older brothers (the whole "three of them pretended I was invisible.. for two years!" thing happens to younger siblings) so I don't think he has much power to begin with. This could either be a motive for him to seek his own power independent from his brothers (and thus be acting on his own during the movie), or them concocting this plan and using their younger sibling as a tool. If the latter is true, I can see the brothers giving up on subtlety and trying to manipulate the whole event in order justify a war to seize the kingdom.

---

Honestly you don't need to justify anything in this game in relation to the movie GWG. Just write it off as an alternate history based upon the events seen in Frozen and be done with it.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: April 03, 2014, 09:48:56 pm »

How we as players see Elsa(debatable): ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU]

How the prince sees Elsa(Watch the whole thing. They add more then you expect): ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GRUPNXbflQ]
[/quote]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: April 03, 2014, 10:03:14 pm »

I can confirm that there was little reaction when the duke accused her of being a monster, and a sorceror. But its probably because sorcery isn't vilified in that universe, and that everyone understood that the duke was just trying to loudly justify having his men join the chase so they could assassinate her.
Let's review this.
Everyone knew the Duke was going to try and assassinate the queen. They don't react.
...Something's up with this.

She freezes the royal palace at the end of the movie for her subjects and the guests of the coronation and everyone loves it. It's clearly not even a big deal.
Anyone can enjoy magic when it's being used for them. And when they don't have a choice. And when you are selecting from the population most likely to be biased towards the magician (the Arendell royal family seems to have a pretty good relationship with its people).
I'm not saying prejudice against magic is universal, I'm saying it's not uncommon.

Its implied that he has several older brothers (the whole "three of them pretended I was invisible.. for two years!" thing happens to younger siblings)
Also, he tells Anna that he has twelve older brothers. There's no reason to think he would lie about something like that.

Honestly you don't need to justify anything in this game in relation to the movie GWG. Just write it off as an alternate history based upon the events seen in Frozen and be done with it.
Why?

How we as players see Elsa(debatable): ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU]

How the prince sees Elsa(Watch the whole thing. They add more then you expect): ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GRUPNXbflQ]
More or less. Most people don't know what happened the way we do; they know, at most, that the queen is a sorceress who threw out foreign emissaries/nobles and spread horrible rumors about them*, threw aside long-standing trade relations for minor slights**, and froze the whole world.
*And don't say they kept quiet. A nameless character clearly states that he intends to tell the Southern Isles' royal family about Hans's "behavior," which can't exactly mean much except how he tried to let Anna die to advance his position and whatnot. Which there is no evidence save Anna's testimony for. (And the only evidence that might have existed--the doused, and hence wet, fireplace--was destroyed by Olaf. Nice going, snowbrain.)
**Yes, the Duke tried to have Elsa killed rather than captured. One, this probably wasn't an uncommon thought--not ideal, but it would have stopped things from getting worse, while capturing her could and did make things worse (though they got better). Two, there is no way for anyone except the Duke and the two soldiers he ordered to know that the Duke ordered them to kill Elsa. Three, there is no way for anyone outside the party to know that they didn't have kill-on-sight orders. Four, two and three apply to Elsa as well! Five...well, Weselton is Arendell's closest trading partner, and Elsa decides to punish whatever slight by completely cutting off trade with Weselton indefinitely?!? That's...a bit short-sighted. It certainly won't give anyone any confidence in Elsa's ability to do diplomacy. Or monarchy.
Sig

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 03, 2014, 10:07:19 pm »

No one cares anymore GWG. Shut it.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: April 03, 2014, 10:09:16 pm »

KJ, if your going to quit then by all means go ahead. GWG has shown an avenue to just skip this interlude stuff, so lets do it. I care what he has to say as well, so please stop bad mouthing him over nothing at this point. If you want to ignore backstory stuff, go ahead, but keep it too yourself please.
[/quote]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: April 03, 2014, 10:12:57 pm »

No one cares anymore GWG. Shut it.
If no one cares, why do they keep providing counter-arguments?
Sig

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: April 03, 2014, 10:15:15 pm »

ninja'd 3x

To be fair, since it became pretty apparent that the Duke tried to kill Elsa, cutting off trade wouldn't seem completely out of the blue.

Also, Hans is certainly the kind of person to play up the need to get rid of Elsa, so he can achieve his own ends. He might be able to take a bunch of his family's money and raise an army of mercenaries, or hire another kingdom to lend their army.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1049 on: April 03, 2014, 10:41:03 pm »

Let's review this.
Everyone knew the Duke was going to try and assassinate the queen. They don't react.
...Something's up with this.

Anyone can enjoy magic when it's being used for them. And when they don't have a choice. And when you are selecting from the population most likely to be biased towards the magician (the Arendell royal family seems to have a pretty good relationship with its people).
I'm not saying prejudice against magic is universal, I'm saying it's not uncommon.

Also, he tells Anna that he has twelve older brothers. There's no reason to think he would lie about something like that.

Why?

More or less. Most people don't know what happened the way we do; they know, at most, that the queen is a sorceress who threw out foreign emissaries/nobles and spread horrible rumors about them, threw aside long-standing trade relations for minor slights, and froze the whole world.
No one knows that, at least not until after the fact. All everyone knows at the time is that the duke is a bigoted jackass who will jump on anything in order to further the goals of Weaseltown. The fact that the one subject from the princesses' kingdom keeps saying that on purpose, means that it must be patently obvious to all the political guests as to why he won't shut up, because no one likes them because frugal merchant nonsense and he's clearly jockeying for some personal gain, which is later revealed to be assassination because he didn't want trade to stop. Assassination is a big deal and that's plenty reason for them to evict him. It would also likely heavily damage their image in the eyes of the other nations who were witness.

That's a good point. Obviously all the subjects of the kingdom would be biased towards their princess, but the political guests were still in attendance and were also all universally wowed and enjoying the trick, wouldn't you say?

Whups. Yeah didn't remember that part of the line. Thought it was just 12 other brothers. :p

So people can't complain? And so you don't have to waste your time with justification? And so you can have complete artistic freedom? There's literally every reason to say so, even though it's pretty much already been established unless a Frozen 2 comes out anytime soon to effectively nail that in place.

1 was clearly a jerk (Duke of Wesselton) but the other I can see being sympathized with.. Sort of? He kinda was being obviously manipulative, what with locking up the princess-sorceror and trying to marry her sister for obviously political reasons, which, while perhaps not unusual during medieval times IRL, definitely was considered disgusting and an act of deception in this universe. And usually an arranged marriage is, well, arranged, and involves mutual gain for the two sides with regards to relations and lineage. This was not the case here.

By the way, they weren't technically engaged. If this is back in the day then engagement requires ceremony for it to be formal.

KJ, if your going to quit then by all means go ahead. GWG has shown an avenue to just skip this interlude stuff, so lets do it. I care what he has to say as well, so please stop bad mouthing him over nothing at this point. If you want to ignore backstory stuff, go ahead, but keep it too yourself please.
This. Please don't be mean KJ.

Also when did you become Animu girl? :o
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 90