Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Spellbreakers! RtD. What shall we do with this story?  (Read 13499 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Spellbreakers! RtD
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2014, 10:31:14 pm »

Errol? Could I ask some input on mine? Lacking connection to the net though so I may be away for a few...

Could I also ask if my spell-points are correct? I remember you saying there was a (3+skillinrelatedmagic) for that area. Next, about the example sheet compared to the general sheets given out: What exactly is our baseline for balancing skills, spells and the points invested into them? Is it also based on the background we give our characters?
Because I'm really confused on how the example sheet gets a varied list of spells and such.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2014, 11:04:30 pm »

I intend to post a nonmagical human - it is simply a matter of choosing a concept to develop and apply with.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2014, 02:33:12 am »

But to Irony, aren't Mend and Resolution kinda redundant? I mean personally I would prefer you having Mend, simply because it doesn't mesh well with your typical style, and it feels like an actual trade-off instead of just "my out of combat heal spell, which isn't as good as my IN combat heal spell"
Well, presumably Mend will be more efficient. I get what you're saying with the tradeoff, but I figured as long as I could cast spells it'd be kind of silly to not be able to heal myself mid-battle.

I do agree it's a bit bland and doesn't necessarily fit as well, but that's one reason I added the "heals more the more wounded you are" clause. I might rewrite that a bit to emphasize it as a "bleeding to death, need magic to keep fighting" kind of thing.

Also I foresee some interesting stuff happening between our characters, considering mine pretty much can't be hurt by physical means :P
Khara uses tackle! Sim Shady is immune...
Khara uses Rifle! It's super effective! Slim Shady loses 35 money!

And can we PLEASE get some characters who DON'T have magic? Some like straight sword-and-board characters or something? I feel like we are in magic overload right now.
I think I know why this isn't likely to happen. The obvious answer is that magic is interesting, neat, and varied, whereas melee can be a bit limited or stale.

But more than that, I just think we have too many skill points and not enough skills. Defensive skills are part of offensive skills, so once you have swords or whatever... well, might as well get some magic of some sort, right? The alternative is some mundane skill, which can still work, but you're not as likely to absolutely want to be a really good merchant or seducer as you are to want to light things on fire or heal yourself.

You can see a lot of this in the fact that at least three of us are melee/caster types whose concepts seem to emphasize the warrior bit. Most likely, we all got a skill to hit things with, threw in a mundane skill, and then went for some magic.

I intend to post a nonmagical human - it is simply a matter of choosing a concept to develop and apply with.
You should play against type for yourself, and make a FABULOUS irreverent swashbuckling ladies' (and men's) man with an odd mixture of reckless bravado and hiding behind other characters.

Or you could give yourself every crafting skill known to man, and just stand in the back line making potions and armor for us.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2014, 05:16:38 am »

Yes, I was going to put a couple of points into staff fighting, as Roger would frequently use his staff to beat off angry goats, but then I didn't.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2014, 08:40:40 am »

I have a vague idea of concept, but I need to actually get it into black and white (and have the time to do that).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2014, 08:43:47 am »

You should play against type for yourself, and make a FABULOUS irreverent swashbuckling ladies' (and men's) man with an odd mixture of reckless bravado and hiding behind other characters.

Or you could give yourself every crafting skill known to man, and just stand in the back line making potions and armor for us.

Strange as it may sound, I already played an irreverent, reckless swashbuckler in a D&D campaign. He spent most of his time making witty remarks, hitting on the party's women, and stabbing enemies with his rapier - often, all of these in quick succession. He goaded enemies, made fun of allies, escaped for his life when he was wounded, and made jokes about the amount of hair certain humanoid females had. As for being a dedicated craftsman, I believe that would be rather stale.

I have several non-combat-focused concepts in mind I wanted to test so all it remains is hoping I make a decision until the deadline.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2014, 10:54:05 am »

Also I foresee some interesting stuff happening between our characters, considering mine pretty much can't be hurt by physical means :P
Khara uses Rifle! It's super effective! Slim Shady loses 35 money!

NUUU NOT THE MUNNIES!

And can we PLEASE get some characters who DON'T have magic? Some like straight sword-and-board characters or something? I feel like we are in magic overload right now.
I think I know why this isn't likely to happen. The obvious answer is that magic is interesting, neat, and varied, whereas melee can be a bit limited or stale.

But more than that, I just think we have too many skill points and not enough skills. Defensive skills are part of offensive skills, so once you have swords or whatever... well, might as well get some magic of some sort, right? The alternative is some mundane skill, which can still work, but you're not as likely to absolutely want to be a really good merchant or seducer as you are to want to light things on fire or heal yourself.

You realize you're responding to the OUTSTANDING merchant right? Well pawnbroker, but same difference.

By the way, just so you guys know, Slim MAY steal your stuff and pawn it off to the enemy. Or he might steal THEIR stuff and pawn it off to you. Possibly both at once. Point is, TRY and be versatile.
...I just realized....I have like at least 3 charisma on pretty much every other potential party member (cept' the vamp) and hilarious barter skill.
This is gonna be FUN.

Oh and Caellath, the trick to making a crafter interesting is that, yes they make shit for the people who do things, but they ALSO make things like traps and such to control the battlefield.
Think like MacGyver, and you will be awesome.

7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2014, 11:07:40 am »

I still need to finish my sheet. I'l try to think of skills, but I can't come up with any perks, unforntunately.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2014, 03:20:07 pm »

Oh and Caellath, the trick to making a crafter interesting is that, yes they make shit for the people who do things, but they ALSO make things like traps and such to control the battlefield.

That'd be a Trapper and they don't work in every game. Don't worry, I know what to do.
>Yes?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2014, 04:03:07 am »

That night, the darkness imposed by the moonless sky was only broken by the constant criss-crossing of lightning strikes coming from the clouds above. It would be an understatement to call it rain - the downpour had been going for almost an hour and it seemed only a God would be able to appease the fury of nature. The hulking figure of a muscular man wandered into the small town's business street with a purpose in its firm steps, searching for any inn or store still open despite the weather's conditions. As he stood in front of the only building with light still shining from the inside, a blue shine ran across the length of all blades arrayed on his chest in a vaguely shield-like pattern, granting him a small source of light. Loving the rain no more than a beggar did, the adventurer - for one sure he was - opened the door and strode inside, revealing blue eyes and blond hair set upon a regal face. The man sitting behind the counter grinned in a dark manner and crossed his fingers, a shadow cast upon his face as if he had been expecting this visit for a long time already. "Tonight you die"
Spoiler: Continued (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 02:36:29 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2014, 07:44:14 am »

((I like but I do have the feeling that at the end of the first day any non-armor/non-weapon will be in his clutches and everything not nailed down on the second night then steal the nails and everything left on the third night.))
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2014, 08:10:46 am »

That night, the darkness imposed by the moonless sky was only broken by the constant criss-crossing of lightning strikes coming from the clouds above. It would be an understatement to call it rain - the downpour had been going for almost an hour and it seemed only a God would be able to appease the fury of nature. The hulking figure of a muscular man wandered into the small town's business street with a purpose in its firm steps, searching for any inn or store still open despite the weather's conditions. As he stood in front of the only building with light still shining from the inside, a blue shine ran across the length of all blades arrayed on his chest in a vaguely shield-like pattern, granting him a small source of light. Loving the rain no more than a beggar did, the adventurer - for one sure he was - opened the door and strode inside, revealing blue eyes and blond hair set upon a regal face. The man sitting behind the counter grinned in a dark manner and crossed his fingers, a shadow cast upon his face as if he had been expecting this visit for a long time already. "Tonight you die"

((So basically your character is the human version of my character then? Seriously, read the other sheets that have been posted before making your own.))

((I like but I do have the feeling that at the end of the first day any non-armor/non-weapon will be in his clutches and everything not nailed down on the second night then steal the nails and everything left on the third night.))

((PFFFFFFT. You should take a look at MY character then, expect all that within the first like ten minutes. Then expect me to sell it all back to its original owners for a 90% markup in the next ten.))
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:13:12 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2014, 11:10:18 am »

((So basically your character is the human version of my character then? Seriously, read the other sheets that have been posted before making your own.))

((I read them and I see no problems at all.))
>Yes?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2014, 02:54:25 pm »

((PFFFFFFT. You should take a look at MY character then, expect all that within the first like ten minutes. Then expect me to sell it all back to its original owners for a 90% markup in the next ten.))
((This is why I don't consider not owning anything a disadvantage.))

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: Spellbreakers! RtD - Sheets chosen, starting soon
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2014, 12:28:12 pm »

Right. I've chosen sheets. Caellath, Tiruin, Dwarmin, lawastooshort - you're in. Please choose your post colors now, because colors are neat. Everyone else, naturally, didn't make the cut.

To everyone that wasn't chosen: I'm sorry. Competition was tough for a small amount of slots, and chances are, your sheet wasn't bad, just that the winning sheets were better. If you do want to know why you were rejected, feel free to ask - the choices are locked in at this point, though. (And, well, maybe people die and you can move on in - though, I dislike waitlists, so when deaths happen it'll be an open choice of sheets again.)

I'll help you with your sheet shortly, Tiruin, then write up an introduction and then we can start.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12