Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Ranger Kicks some Goblin ass  (Read 550 times)

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
A Ranger Kicks some Goblin ass
« on: February 08, 2014, 04:32:57 pm »

In my newest fortress, after some time, a goblin ambush arrived on my doorstep, along with a elven caravan, which the goblins proceed to slaughter. (Not that that was a big loss)

I send my military over to take out the trash, but then I see a lone female breaton (Modded race i'm playing as) by the name of Hibor Siezedmines begin to fill some goblins with bolts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While she was doing that, a WEAPONSMITH who thought it would be fun to go hunting for a while triggers a second ambush of bow goblins.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After that, the military cleaned up. What i'm wondering is why these two civilians didn't turn tail and run?

Do Hunters usually fight back when attacked?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:48:52 pm by TheSaberTooth »
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: A Ranger Kicks some Goblin ass
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 06:44:05 pm »

Hunters do have a tendency to shoot stuff, yes.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:50:32 pm »

Any dwarf with a crossbow will use it on an enemy in range. It's generally useful to arm civilians, though in situations with tough but slow enemies (undead, unliving, slow FBs) they'd be better off running away.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 04:18:51 am »

I've actually had situations with hunters saving my fortress. The legendary hunters can be especially badass.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 05:44:47 am »

Yeah, anyone capable of ranged attack will do so before running.
Sometimes it's good, especially when ambush pops out right in a middle of surface clean-up.
Sometimes it's bad, I've lost a few armed citizens because goblins managed to get rather close to them before being spotted.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science