Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wandering Willow Troubles: Infinitely Butchering Plants  (Read 3191 times)

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble With A Creature Made of Living Wood
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 08:07:23 pm »

Thanks a ton. Everything seems to be working fine with the small exception of the in-game item descriptions. He seems to be dropping an item called "wandering willow's plant" and "wandering willow plant logs" instead of just wandering willow logs. Poking around with the plant's tags now to see if I can fix it.

EDIT: So, this is what's currently going on with your unedited raws. Killing it gives me "Wandering willow 1's wandering willow wood [377]," the correct amount of eyes, "Wandering willow 1's plant [115]," and a log of "wandering willow wood plant log" for each tentacle. Butchering either the plant [115] or wood [377] spawns another pile of "plant logs" and doesn't reduce the amount of plant or wood. I don't see anything referencing this in the error log either.

I'm pretty stumped.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 11:17:15 pm by Managrimm »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 09:25:48 pm »

So your layering part looks like this correct?

Code: [Select]
layering
pith
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:BRAIN:BRAIN]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH:PITH]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:BODY:PITH]
nerve
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:BODY:NERVE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TENTACLE:NERVE]
cortex
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:BODY:CORTEX]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH:CORTEX]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TENTACLE:CORTEX]
bark
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:BODY:BARK]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TENTACLE:BARK] -- I know roots don't have any bark but it's an added layer.

my only guess is that you need to add this as well

[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
      [EBO_ITEM:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:WILLOW_GRIMM:WOOD]

because the mouth has CORTEX (plant matter) and PITH (wood) on it and that could be whats getting butchered and giving you the willow wood and plant.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 09:56:38 pm »

It didn't work. Additionally, I tried butchering a severed tentacle and it spawned 9 plants that are also infinitely butcherable for "plant logs." o_0 Nothing in the errorlog.

So his plant material seems to be mysteriously broken, but he's doing a stellar job of mangling my entities. Takes quite a few Grimms to take him down. Even without the weird plant glitch he seems to be giving way too much wood per kill, but that might just be part of the glitch. Now that I take a closer look, what appeared to be "wandering willow wood" actually just butchers into more "plant logs."

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 10:28:05 pm »

It worked before right? Well I've done as much as I can, mayhaps someone else can lend a hand to this.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 10:32:57 pm »

I was never too preoccupied with butchering him that much since I was preoccupied with him exploding every time a feather hit him.

I've managed to fix it a bit. I replaced the plant material in his tissues with LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:WOOD and set it to drop from tentacles. Now he yields ten "logs" (no material or creature name listed) on death... 2 brains and 414 eyes. o_0 Wut?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 10:40:09 pm »

see he has no WOOD material on him, but he does have an EYE material and tissue. So the game errors out and as a safeguard, grabs the first defined material/tissue in the creature and uses it instead (instead of crashing due to null reference)

Basically it's now a wandering willow made out of eyeball tissue.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 10:51:04 pm »

That's... actually pretty funny. x3 You're right though. I forgot to define the wood material.

I was trying that because I saw it implemented that way on someone else's creature where it had a layer that was the local creature's wood.

After defining [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE] he now drops the right amount of eyes (though still two brains...) and a mysterious "wood" that can also be infinity butchered. His roots can also be butchered indefinitely.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Wandering Willow Troubles: Infinitely Butchering Plants
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 02:39:42 pm »

I was never good with the EBO item and the death items, but couldn't you just give him a death item (logs) and make the rest of him not butcherable? That way when he dies he could just explode into ten finely cut logs (probably much to the confusion of his attackers) and then you wouldn't have problems with plant logs or anything like that.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 03:54:25 pm »

EBO (Extra butcher object) is a bit new to me, as I normally use ITEMCORPSE but that makes the creatures corpse just turn into an item, making the only butcherables severed limbs.

So with ITEMCORPSE on death all you'd get would be "1 log" I know I had a look at Ostriches to see how their EBO of a Gizzard stone works and I'm fairly certain to work (but in this case as proven it doesn't)

So EBO is what he is looking for, I guess the only alternative is:

Add [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:WOOD:NONE] to WILLOW_GRIMM plant's WOOD material (this will only let bark and pith make logs) however since STRUCTUAL is the plant itself so you'd just end up with a weird unuseable tree plant thing.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 04:22:56 pm »

I would have to see your actual body files, but your EBO may be the problem. Can you post your body definition tokens?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 04:35:29 pm »

I would have to see your actual body files, but your EBO may be the problem. Can you post your body definition tokens?

-snip-

Spoiler: Creature (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Body (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Plant (click to show/hide)

-snip-

These are what he is currently using atm. As Far as I know
NOTE: I think he has changed the EBO part in the creature file to the code mentioned a few posts back
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:37:05 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 12:52:58 am »

I changed it back to what you had when it didn't work actually, Hugo. I had a back-up.

If you do manage to sever off a tentacle I would ideally like you to be able to butcher it into the one log and I do want the log to be labeled as "wandering willow log" if that's at all possible with the main body being what gives you the eyes and brain. If that doesn't work out I'd certainly consider the on-death logs a valid alternative though. I've been at work all day so I haven't worked on it much since yesterday.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 01:12:57 am »

Well this

[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_CATEGORY:ALL]

is not what you want, but

[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_CATEGORY:TENTACLE]

should work

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 01:49:37 am »

Tried it. Tentacles just infinity spawn a material called "wandering willow wood plant logs" now. Body turned into a pile of the same material (presumably from the remaining tentacles), brain, eyes, and additionally a mysterious object called "Wandering Willow 1's Wood" that I can also continuously butcher for more "wandering willow wood plant logs."

Aside from the obvious issues, I'm also wondering how I can make this object called a "wood log" and not a "wood plant log" since that's probably an easier fix anyway and "wood plant log" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 03:47:59 am »

I have no idea, I will play around with it tomorrow, but I think it would be better to define the materials directly in the creature, instead of using a plant.

For instance;

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE]
--name and stuff you want--
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURE:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
--name and stuff you want--
[TISSUE:BARK]
[TISSUE_NAME:bark:NP]
[SCARS]
[THICKENS_ON_STRENGTH]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:WOOD]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:3]
[HEALING_RATE:450]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE:CORTEX]
[TISSUE_NAME:cortex:NP]
[THICKENS_ON_ENERGY_STORAGE]
[SCARS]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[HEALING_RATE:100]
[VASCULAR:1]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE:NERVE]
[TISSUE_NAME:stringy membrane:NP]
[SCARS]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[HEALING_RATE:100]
[VASCULAR:3]
[MUSCULAR] - acts like muscle if cut, limb failure
[PAIN_RECEPTORS:1]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE:PITH]
[TISSUE_NAME:pith:NP]
[ARTERIES]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[CONNECTIVE_TISSUE_ANCHOR] acts like bone
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:WOOD]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:2]
[VASCULAR:5]
[PAIN_RECEPTORS:50]
[CONNECTS]

I don't know why that would change anything, but its also the only thing different I noticed between this creature and my plant creatures.
Pages: 1 [2] 3