Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dig, DIG my minions!  (Read 4396 times)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Dig, DIG my minions!
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2006, 08:03:00 pm »

FYI, the patron dwarf nation doesn't get pissed if the caravan dies off, although it really kills your immigration rate.  Dwarves are trusting of one another.

Now, HUMANS, they get pissed off. =)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

SynthOrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2006, 08:56:00 pm »

The lava channel seemed to work in the previous fortress. I got absolutely no attacks from the river at all.

And I like a good looking fortress. A completely functional fortress design I find appalling.   :D

[ August 26, 2006: Message edited by: SynthOrange ]

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2006, 10:14:00 pm »

I build my fortress based on my current whims. one question... your fort can't flood over the chasm right?

so what if you make the entire fort before the river, and upto the chasm, one giant omnifarm? oooh... I'm gonna DO THAT!

HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2006, 12:43:00 am »

Good luck on plotting all those 10x10 fields every spring.  :p

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2006, 12:50:00 am »

Well remember, You can stop time while doing it so... no problem.

SynthOrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2006, 01:24:00 am »

I just make one 5x10 field for plumps, and two 5x5 fields rotating between sweetpods, pigtails and cave wheat. In all my previous forts, skilled farmers still managed to produce more food than the dwarves could eat using just those three plots. It's not the size of the plot that matters, it's how efficient your farmers are.

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2006, 02:18:00 pm »

yes, but I'm gonna also see how many dwarves, I can get having thier own rooms. Leeetle, tiny, just a bed, and a door, sized rooms.

SynthOrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2006, 06:29:00 pm »

Well this one's done. As soon as the merchants were stomped, all my dwarves started running outside to start claiming the loot. Result? Dwarf paste.

SynthOrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2006, 06:48:00 pm »

A series of spheres!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2006, 06:54:00 pm »

Plump helmet crop circles...  I see patterns.  The end times.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2006, 08:19:00 pm »

Your fortresses are awsome Synth, how long do they take you to do?

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2006, 09:02:00 pm »

People keep making so many fortresses so quickly that I am beginning to wonder if the game is running slowly on my computer; it usually takes many hours just to reach winter. Toady, is there an amount of time that, for example, a season is supposed to take, in order to see if I'm running slow? (And if I am slow, what is causing that? DF doesn't seem to be taking all of my CPU or memory...)

My laptop isn't very old, and it certainly far exceeds the listed requirements for the game. If the game IS running at regular speed, hopefully there will be a "fast forward" capability eventually.

Or, better yet, be able to configure what events pause the game and what events don't; I wouldn't mind being able to set my dwarves to tasks, leave the game running, and let it pause at the next interesting situation for me to make a decision. As it is, the game requires my full attention for the long time that a game can take to progress, mostly spent monitoring dwarves do repeated tasks waiting for the next announcement or idle dwarf. It is fun to watch them sometimes, but college has started and I would like to be able to spend more of my free time making interesting choices and less watching over mundane dwarven tasks.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2006, 12:40:00 am »

Yep, the speed depends greatly on your PC. I played DF on a rather old computer (Celeron 700, I think) and then saw it running at a modern PC and the dwarves were doing their stuff much faster than I ever imagined!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2006, 12:45:00 am »

Gakidou, how fast is the computer?  I didn't list a requirement for the processor because I didn't have any way to judge with just one computer, and even now, it's hard to get a feel for what would be "required" and what would be "recommended".  Many hours seems like a long time, but on the other hand, a lot of it depends on how much you pause and plan, etc.

[ August 31, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

SynthOrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2006, 03:25:00 am »

That one was about 3 evenings after work. Having legendary miners speeds things along.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4