Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Discussions of the Latest Hobbit Movie Re: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 3889 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Discussions of the Latest Hobbit Movie Re: Dwarf Fortress
« on: February 07, 2014, 05:42:39 am »

I tried to find a forum topic on this - but to my amazing surprise, a search didn't reveal one.

I think we should give our reviews of the hobbit, and talk about dwarf culture within it, and how it stacks up to dwarf culture, and the things we can do about dwarf fortress - and what we have learned about dwarves.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussions of the Latest Hobbit Movie Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 11:13:26 pm »

Dwarves like gold (and other riches). They like swimming in gold. Also, they will ignore the fact that there is a dragon to fulfill a hauling job, and then run the instant they see it. Also, they like megaprojects and overcomplicated ideas that do it WITH STYLE.

So yeah, we didn't learn anything new.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 11:29:44 am »

Toady One himself summed it up nicely:

Quote from: MrWillsauce
What did you think of Atrocious Beards Part Two (assuming you saw it)?

I guess it's appropriate that the one that didn't even have a beard fell for a flesh eater.  We knew going in that it was silly, so we could appreciate it as an extension of Peter Jackson's earliest movies more than a Tolkien adaptation.  Even in that vein, the action sequences were too goofy to enjoy a lot of the time though...  barrels for instance.

I, for one, left the theater mildly amused, but ultimately dissapointed. Was expecting a lot more "Hobbit", even if dwarves were pretty central through the movie.

Also, dwarves and elves falling in love? Now these are just filthy teachings.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:13:28 am »

I'm afraid to say that the only commonality between Jackson's Hobbit thriller and Dwarf Fortress is that the story is much better in print.

Rapozk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 04:55:17 pm »

Also, dwarves and elves falling in love? Now these are just filthy teachings.

I usually see myself as a fairly liberal person, but I disapprove this kind of race mixing.

From the movie, I got the most inspiration from the crypt where the nasgüls/ring wraths were buried, which wasn't even in the book. Not that it actually gave me new inspiration, because I usually go about doing silly projects like that in dwarf fortress, doing hard to access crypts, making long walks carved out from the mountains, through waterfalls etc, just to get to the fortress etc... so, it didn't do more than remind me of dwarf fortress...

Also, the first three movies were much better. The hobbit movies are more cartoonish.. The lord of the rings trilogy had a more realistic setting.. It was like a real world, only with more sentient races/species, and a dash of magic added to the mix, and people and nations in the movies acted reasonable and realistic (as in; the way that would be realistic to act in such a world). All of that realism disappeared in the hobbit movies, making it a kinda shitty movie.

Dwarf fortress have realism, in a different world, if you get what I mean. Meaning that some things of the world are changed and what happens in the world gets affected realistically. Many other shows/games/movies do this as well, for instance star trek. Other stuff don't manage to do this, for instance harry potter books, much of what happens in Harry Potter books are simply stupid and unrealistic if you account for how magic in that world works and what wizards are able to do, in a reasonable approach the story would have been completely different. 

Edit: do I make sense whatsoever?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:57:08 pm by Rapozk »

Cedwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 09:58:12 am »

Walkways without handrails... who designed that fortress...

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 12:25:22 pm »

I usually see myself as a fairly liberal person, but I disapprove this kind of race mixing.

This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 04:49:48 pm »

Walkways without handrails... who designed that fortress...

A Dwarf Fortress player?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 09:13:19 pm »

Things I don't like about The Hobbit movies:
-Not enough beard, seriously, these were dwarves of the Longbeards clan. The actor that played Thorin used his natural human beard, and it had to be trimmed constantly for the movie. So much for longbeards.
-Radagast had shit on his head.
-Too much pointless CGI. Orcs and goblins can be perfectly played by actors with costumes, but PJ wanted more shitty CGI.
-Bad looking exaggerated MMO armor. I only saw the first movie, and the armor orcs wore annoyed me quite a bit, it was over elaborate, orcs should make more practical armor, the pieces they had in TLOTR were far better, why didn't they reuse them? Oh, yeah, CGI.
-They added characters that were not present in the book (Galadriel, Saruman, Legolas, etc).
-They added monsters that did not exist. Like those stone giants, and the goblins. I know the book says goblins, but Tolkien stated that he meant orcs. They were orcs.
-Goblin king has a scrotum beard.
-Radagast was not present in the book, and has shit on his head.

Well, at least they didn't throw Tom Bombadil. That would be too much.

The Hobbit is a children book, and it is more fitting for a Disney movie, or Warner:

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 03:55:14 am »

Things I don't like about The Hobbit movies:
-Not enough beard, seriously, these were dwarves of the Longbeards clan. The actor that played Thorin used his natural human beard, and it had to be trimmed constantly for the movie. So much for longbeards.
-Too much pointless CGI. Orcs and goblins can be perfectly played by actors with costumes, but PJ wanted more shitty CGI.
-Bad looking exaggerated MMO armor. I only saw the first movie, and the armor orcs wore annoyed me quite a bit, it was over elaborate, orcs should make more practical armor, the pieces they had in TLOTR were far better, why didn't they reuse them? Oh, yeah, CGI.
-They added characters that were not present in the book (Galadriel, Saruman, Legolas, etc).
-They added monsters that did not exist. Like those stone giants, and the goblins. I know the book says goblins, but Tolkien stated that he meant orcs. They were orcs.
-Goblin king has a scrotum beard.
-Radagast was not present in the book, and has shit on his head.

Well, at least they didn't throw Tom Bombadil. That would be too much.

The Hobbit is a children book, and it is more fitting for a Disney movie, or Warner:

While I generally agree with most of your stated opinions (the non-existant beards!) I feel some slight nitpicking is required.

Yes, they added characters that weren't in the book, however they weren't (for the most part!) grabbed out of this air. It has been stated that the movie plot is also based on the additional stories in the compendiums, detailing the actions of the white council and the driving out of the necromancer from Dol Goldur, which occured during the time the dwarves were in Mirkwood, it just wasn't in the book. Also, bringing in Legolas isn't necessarily a bad idea either, seeing as Thranduil is his father and the company is passing through his home. I do however feel Jackson et al completely botched the implementation of all these additional characters, even though the idea was sound. Even Tauriel might've been ok if it hadn't been for the horrible romance sub-plot.

They also didn't really add any creatures (apart from that ridiculous centipede). Stone giants were in the book, though that Jackson implemented them in the most silly way imaginable. While Goblins and Orcs are supposedly the same thing yes (at least after Tolkien made up his mind on the matter), it's still a fact that there are a lot of different breeds of them of differing size, stature and appearance. The goblins of the misty mountains were supposedly of the smaller type, save the great goblin, so that far it's not really all made up. Same thing here though with Jackson overdoing it and making them too different and "silly".

Also, to me the addition of Radagast seems by far the least of the many changes Jackson made to the story. I actually kind of like him, although I agree the bird's nest on his head might be taking it a bit too far. Silly is obviously not necessarily bad, since as you said it was originally a children's story. In my opinion though Jackson focused a bit too much on the wrong kind of "silly" :P

As for how the movies can be related to Dwarf Fortress, the only thing to really take out of it imo is the visuals, which for the most part remain stunning as always. Lots of nice inspiration for how to build your fortress.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 10:12:54 am »

I'm hoping that it turns out that the love triangle is just Tauriel pretending to look like she likes Kili in order to dissuade Legolas.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 11:49:25 am »

I'm hoping that it turns out that the love triangle is just Tauriel pretending to look like she likes Kili in order to dissuade Legolas.

Unfortunately, Kili kicks the bucket at the end, so if so there'll probably be a heartwarming undwarvenly sickening make up scene.
I know how these things run.

Also we now know it is possible for dwarves to [Cancels haul item: Trying to tap dat fine Silvan behind]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:51:13 am by MDFification »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 01:28:51 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit_(1977_film)
Or a 2 and a half hour dub over.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 09:52:55 pm »

Ah, another comparison thread!

I didn't see the new one, but I did see the first one. I read the book long before I saw the movie. Thoughts on the matter:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apologies if that sounded a bit rant-ish, but the reactions to these movies are just egging Jackson on to keep on doing what he did with the Two Towers and add a bunch of unnecessary crap to the movies to make them "better crowd pleasers". This is LOTR, man, not the mathematical equation (James Bond - 1500 years).
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 03:20:44 am »

The second movie was so bad it almost make me hate Tolkien and fantasy in general.
Pages: [1] 2