Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pharmacy  (Read 1903 times)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pharmacy
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:44:41 pm »

Proposition: Drugs should be utilised on diseased persons (and pets in the future).

The following threads are about similar subjects:

Sources:

Drugs should come from:

• Animals: Venom from some animals;
  • Plants: Extracts from some plants;
  • Minerals: Arsenic, Quicksilver,..

Uses:

Drugs should be used (exemples):

• For healing symptoms (calming pain, stoping cough);
  • For treating causes (for exemple antidotes for syndroms);
  • For other uses, such as cleaning wounds or relieving tiredness.

Processing:

The Alchemist should prepare these drugs in his lab, using the skill Alchemy.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
Re: Pharmacy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:16:20 pm »

This sounds really good to go along side with further alchemy implement.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:21:01 pm »

Philosopher's stone, once obtained by a very skillful Alchemist having received this secret from a divine revelation, should produce an healing elixir.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 07:02:22 pm »

Nightblades don't start with Alchemy skill, oddly enough.

(Urist McNoviceAlchemist starts brewing Restore Fatigue potions to level.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:08:46 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 05:09:33 am »

I'd just like for syndromes to be able to cure syndromes, myself.

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 09:38:26 am »

Philosopher's stone, once obtained by a very skillful Alchemist having received this secret from a divine revelation, should produce an healing elixir.

the idea of alchemical secrets is pretty interesting though i'm sure if and when alchemy or similar is implemented that will come too in time. Why restrict secrets to a regenerating potion though? Could be all kinds of effects like immortality or hyper scent or omniscience or whatever that might be useful (or very harmful for secret poisons).

Lord Fancypantaloons

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 06:08:52 pm »

I would also add some combat uses to alchemy, for example creating vials(or barrels) of acid that could be thrown at things by dwarfs, or fired from catapults, or used in traps.
Like having acid splash on a Bronze Colossus, it would melt it.
Maybe even make it a liquid of its own and allow for it to be pressurized, only to be fired at a siege of goblins. The sight of a green goo that melts faces and iron armor would make them run in fear!

Nicolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 04:35:09 am »

We can already make beneficial syndromes.
What we need is a [MEDICINE] material def token equivalent to [ALCOHOL] that medical dwarves can use on ailing dwarves.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:39:08 am by Nicolo »

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 10:38:43 am »

• Minerals: Arsenic, Quicksilver,..

I like these as examples: sometimes the "cure" is ineffective or has negative side effects,
such as poisoning or madness.  But Dwarven medicine is not advanced enough to know
about this, being only one step up from leeches.
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkďg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

Asan W

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 06:58:45 pm »

Very cool if drugs(illegal)are ever introduced, dwarfs in withdrawal can raid the pharmacies.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:38:09 pm by Asan W »

Tacyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 09:28:32 am »

How about instead of  alchemy using the brewing skill.
A brewer could use alcohol and special ingredients like herbs to create medicinal spirits.

Considering that dwarfs already need alcohol to get through the day,
 I don't think it would be too far fetched that dwarfs have experimented with and discovered alcohol recipes
that have beneficial properties such as curing disease and syndromes, heal wounds or boost abilities. 

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 03:04:55 pm »

After reading the various threads, a thought occurred to me...using very similar code to what already exists for prepared food manufacture, syndrome generation and artifact material choice to make apothecary science interesting.  An apothecary labor "experiment" would result in the dwarf with the appropriate labor seeking out a random assortment of rocks, plants, metals, trees, liquids, etc, spend some time mixing, purifying, calcinating, powdering, all of the ingredients to eventually produce a substance (liquid, powder, oil, etc) with randomly generated properties (an assortment of causing and curing the available syndromes, adding or subtracting hunger or thirst, etc) and a randomly generated description and title.  It could then be used directly in dwarven medicine (frequently with horrible side effects) or tested on animals or captured goblins with a different labor (which would slowly reveal more and more of the substance's properties the more times it was tested).  Most of the time, though, a new substance would just have a bad taste and no significant effects, just wasting the reagents. Intensity of effects (good and bad) would be tied to the dwarf buck value of the reagents, with the chance of good effects being tied to the skill of the apothecary (although still low, sort of like herbalism). The final labor for the apothecary would be to produce doses of an existing formula, which would require the same ingredients and time as the original, but would have predictable effects.