Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 224753 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1695 on: January 11, 2016, 12:59:33 pm »

How much control do we have over solid light objects after creation?

can we levitate them around and manipulate them at will?

basically can I shoot laser swords at people and create self winding pocket watches?

also whats the range limitation that the objects need to stay within?

Well...Ok. You could fire light swords out at people if you fired them as they were created. If you created them, let them fall to the ground and then wanted to shoot them later? No. If you wanted to keep them in orbit around you? No. At least not without also creating some weird contraption around you that did it for you.

It's like 100 yards.

How about some kind of Weevil explosive? Nothing special, just a pack of glow-worm degenerators designed to be planted and activated to chew through important supports, perhaps with some sort of director function to chew through a few dozen metres of steel in a door shape instead of a massive sphere of 'Ieatyou'ness.

Sounds fine to me.  But we're gonna have to define a sort of sphere of how much can be destroyed.

So, you know how we sometimes have a poll on the wiki? This was the latest one:

How do you think mission 22 (the one with the Arbiter) should be described on the 'War Effort' page?

Minor failure.
Major failure.
Minor success.
Major success.
Minor failure/minor success (neutral).
I don't know, we should ask PW/Steve what he thinks, and use that.

The poll was created at 13:32 on December 6, 2015, and so far 16 people voted.

So pw, what do you think we should classify that missions as? It seems that the general opinion slightly leans toward it being a rather major failure.

I have an idea for a 'device' of sorts to help with our quest for a new home. Or rather, to help with the colonisation/building part. Would you mind if I go into that a bit more, or is that too close to tinker (as opposed to small questions)? It isn't an armory item.
I think we can classify it as no longer important.

Sure, fine. We can get general stuff, just no specifics.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: January 11, 2016, 01:31:39 pm »

Yeah, if pw doesn't care, then I'm just gonna go and label it as a failure, as the poll indicates.

Pw, any new poll you would like to see on the wiki? Anything you're curious about or would like to ask the players about (and that isn't important znough to warrant a strawpoll)? Can be something silly.

Ok, but if you had to judge the mission based on its own merits, and not in light of the lurker happening, which of those poll options would you choose? 'Not important anymore' isn't really a valid answer for this wiki page. If you really don't know/don't have an opinion, say so and we'll have another poll on the wiki, because just using the next best score is apparently unfair.

Ok then. The very basic idea is to create a sort of 'autonomous colony building unit' combining our various (non origin) xenotech. It'd basically be a non-military application of various technologies we worked so hard to aquire over the years to create something that can build and expand infrastructure in a variety of new environments/universes without needing constant oversight.

Should I expand on the idea? I can already say it might turn out to be more of a background sort of thing, but I think it could be interesting nonetheless.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:36:58 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1697 on: January 11, 2016, 02:08:49 pm »

Yeah, if pw doesn't care, then I'm just gonna go and label it as a failure, as the poll indicates.
I believe your logic is flawed. The poll clearly says to ask piecewise what the mission should be labelled and use that. And piecewise clearly labelled it unimportant. I don't see how you can go from "unimportant" to "failure".

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: January 11, 2016, 02:27:43 pm »

Eh, it's only unimportant now due to lurker shenanigans, and it didn't get a label immediately because some people disagreed with the initial assessment. So if pw doesn't care, I'll apply the next best scoring answer on the poll. If someone can get an actual label from pw, I'll be happy to change it to whatever, but for now I'll go for that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 02:32:33 pm by Radio Controlled »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1699 on: January 11, 2016, 02:56:42 pm »

There is a label. And that label is "Not important". If there were presidential elections and I said "I don't like the elected candidate, so I'll choose the second candidate", that probably wouldn't be very fair. If the selected candidate was declared incompetent or something, there would at least be another election, because otherwise you would be robbing the people that voted their right to vote, which is not right in most election systems. If you don't want to accept the answer piecewise gave because you don't like it, then the least you could do is make another poll without that option.

If I seem to have a very strong opinion on the matter, it's because I've encountered similar situations in elections in the past, where people manipulated things to get the result they want in spite of what the people voted.

Nunzillor

« Reply #1700 on: January 11, 2016, 03:03:34 pm »

Err... isn't the next highest scoring option a tie between "Minor failure/minor success (neutral)" and "Major failure"?  ...I feel like I'm missing something.  Sorry, I'm not a clever man...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: January 11, 2016, 03:37:18 pm »

Thing is that whether or not the mission is 'important' anymore now that lurker happened isn't entirely relevant, since the question was about how well the mission achieved its objectives and the amount of casualties and such. There's probably more missions in that list whose results retroactively hardly matter anymore now that lurker happened, but that doesn't really influence the assessment of that mission's success all that much. A mission can be a victory or a failure when judged on its own merits while still being unimportant in the grander scale.

Err... isn't the next highest scoring option a tie between "Minor failure/minor success (neutral)" and "Major failure"?  ...I feel like I'm missing something.  Sorry, I'm not a clever man...
Hey now, don't sell yourself short, that's a very valid remark. Thing is that I looked at the general votes for 'failure vs victory vs neutral' first since otherwise the votes for victory and failure get 'split apart' so to speak. And then you could have eg. 5 votes for minor failure, 5 for major failure and 6 for neutral, and get the end result of neutral, even though the majority of people thought it was a failure to some degree.

That said, if it's really that important, I guess I can make another poll if pw won't give a straight answer. But this time I won't let it stay up for so long, I kinda want to move on with this. Any other people that would want a new poll?

EDIT: I'll ask pw again for an actual label (conform the ones the other missions have) and if there's no straight answer, I'll make a new poll. That'll be the third one.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:32:34 pm by Radio Controlled »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: January 11, 2016, 03:54:29 pm »

What's the flicker-fusion rate for hard-light objects?
Like how TVs work.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: January 11, 2016, 06:41:39 pm »

Hmm, well, all the Weevil gun says in the armoury is that it can chew through several feet of material, since I don't really have a rule of thumb distance for a foot, let's say... About twice that?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: January 13, 2016, 06:39:45 am »

(I'm not tinkering, this just seemed like a good place to repost this from OOC thread where it was apparently missed by Piecewise, just as syv foretold it. Thanks for the useful advice, anyway!)
(As I said, those force mono-blades are sharp but they don't have the slicing, eroding power of a monoatomic razor, they still only cut as deep as a sharp blade can cut.)
Just to confirm: 1)While they don't have the eroding power and depend on the usual "cutting" mechanics, the cutting edge is still monoatomically thin, right? (So "as deep as an absolutely sharp blade"?)
2)Technically, the two blades used in this fight were identical save for the material/technology, right?

(Because the force mono-blades were directly based off that same Doctor-brand monosword, only with forcefields instead of spacemagically arranged atoms.)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1705 on: January 14, 2016, 02:15:46 pm »

Pw, any new poll you would like to see on the wiki? Anything you're curious about or would like to ask the players about (and that isn't important znough to warrant a strawpoll)? Can be something silly.

Ok, but if you had to judge the mission based on its own merits, and not in light of the lurker happening, which of those poll options would you choose? 'Not important anymore' isn't really a valid answer for this wiki page. If you really don't know/don't have an opinion, say so and we'll have another poll on the wiki, because just using the next best score is apparently unfair.

Ok then. The very basic idea is to create a sort of 'autonomous colony building unit' combining our various (non origin) xenotech. It'd basically be a non-military application of various technologies we worked so hard to aquire over the years to create something that can build and expand infrastructure in a variety of new environments/universes without needing constant oversight.

Should I expand on the idea? I can already say it might turn out to be more of a background sort of thing, but I think it could be interesting nonetheless.

Well, as far as I remember the objective was just to investigate and figure out what happened. And that got accomplished, didn't it?

Hmm well give me a run down of the basics. how is it gonna be building things, providing the necessary amenities of life, power and the like.

What's the flicker-fusion rate for hard-light objects?
Like how TVs work.

?

Please expand upon your meaning here, sir.

Hmm, well, all the Weevil gun says in the armoury is that it can chew through several feet of material, since I don't really have a rule of thumb distance for a foot, let's say... About twice that?
Sphere of... lets say 10 feet sound alright?
(I'm not tinkering, this just seemed like a good place to repost this from OOC thread where it was apparently missed by Piecewise, just as syv foretold it. Thanks for the useful advice, anyway!)
(As I said, those force mono-blades are sharp but they don't have the slicing, eroding power of a monoatomic razor, they still only cut as deep as a sharp blade can cut.)
Just to confirm: 1)While they don't have the eroding power and depend on the usual "cutting" mechanics, the cutting edge is still monoatomically thin, right? (So "as deep as an absolutely sharp blade"?)
2)Technically, the two blades used in this fight were identical save for the material/technology, right?

(Because the force mono-blades were directly based off that same Doctor-brand monosword, only with forcefields instead of spacemagically arranged atoms.)
They are, though the big difference here is that one is a man cutting through very tough metals and metamaterials while the other is a combat robot cutting though flesh.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: January 14, 2016, 02:23:18 pm »

Yeah, no questions there. Just was afraid for a moment that you have come with a different idea of forcefield weapons.

In other news: Friends, it is confirmed that assaultsuit-wielded forceblades would fully benefit from the enormous strength of those! And, unfortunately, it appears to be a bit unfeasible to use forceblades for Str-challenged people (unlike the monowire weapons). Not to the point of 'regular' melee weapons, but still.

(Any further discussion is welcome in the Hephaestus OOC thread.)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: January 14, 2016, 02:52:41 pm »

Great, then we can mark that one down as a victory and be done with it. I'll go change it.

Fakedit: and it seems paris already did my work for me. Coolio, thanks paris.

Pw, any new poll you would like to see on the wiki? Anything you're curious about or would like to ask the players about (and that isn't important enough to warrant a strawpoll)? Can be something silly.

Hmm well give me a run down of the basics. how is it gonna be building things, providing the necessary amenities of life, power and the like.

Well, the idea is to use our various technologies we acquired over the years and bring them together into a coherent unit. Some of the main components would be:
-the organic computers, which we train/program beforehand to make sure they are good at coordinating construction and adapting to different environments and situations. These are the main controlling unit.
-Heabi biomass and a controlling brain, which given its high adaptability and wild variety of possible forms should be convenient for all sorts of tasks, from breaking down available nutrients to creating specific lifeforms for certain tasks (eg a digging worn to carve out tunnels, or a root system that spreads out unto the soil to search for water or minerals). The Heabi brain woud interface with the organic computers to ensure efforts are well coordinated.
-sharkmist: like Heabi, is very versatile, depending on the type of job this or the former would be used more or less. A big use would be in fabricating things to expand the colony with (eg use the nutrient sludge and minerals the Heabi root bring up and convert them to wall plates and hab units).
-Stevebots: we'd send a couple along to help with initial building (and maybe a few hunters for protection) as well as the database so that new robots tailored to the current needs can be built.
-a couple generators (can be in parts for stevebots to assemble or whole) to keep the initial operation running and a bunch of bluerad cells. This until a suitable local energy source is found, or more generators can be built.
-mapping drones and the like.
-optionally, a whole bunch of frozen embryo's. While initially we will send fes or no actual humans along with the colony unit, having a bunch of frozen embryos aboard to restart a breeding stock with will help ensure that, even if something gors catastrophicslly wrong and we all die, that humanity will have a chance to continue on, somewhere out there. Of course, these are only thawed and used if both the needed infrastructure is built, and no communications have been had for a long time (indicating shit went wrong).
-optionally, a machine for dimension hopping. A small one for sending small packages of info back (aka to stay in touch) or a bigger one that allows the colony unit to jump around.
-all this inside a ship if possible, so that the unit can redeploy to a better position once teleported. Maybe even make it so the ship folds open to establish the intial colony (depending on how much stuff can be teleported at once).

So, when one of these colony units is deployed somewhere, it will start putting up industry and building a colony livable to humans without needing constant oversight. How it goes about this depends on local circumstances and needs, which is why getting the control unit right will be very important (and to ensure eg the sharkmist bots don't start breaking down the Heabi lifeforms and vice versa in a wastefull cycle). And if a universe doesn't seem to work out well in the end for permanent habitation, then we could instruct the colony unit to instead start strip mining it for interesting materials we can then ship back to our new universe.

Gameplay wise, it would give interesting opportunities for small missions, such as a colony requesting assistance from a team to deal with some local wildlife problems, and would allow you to be really creative in colony design (after all, strange environments might warrant unorthodox methods). Such as a universe that's mostly densely gaseous, and where the main colony is a floating 'cloud city' where big Heabi barges with enormous membranous sails fly around to scope up materials and ferry them to the sharkmist fabbers inside their belly.

Thoughts?

((Sorry for wallness of post.))
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 02:01:04 pm by Radio Controlled »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: January 15, 2016, 12:30:57 am »

10 Feet? Yeah, that sounds alright, it'll pro'lly look like a simple rectangle, 'bout the size of both fists put together, has a timer and remote detonator, would it be possible to direct the weevils, though? Or are they just going to chew in any direction they feel like?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: January 15, 2016, 07:32:34 am »

How fast would one need to drop and reform a solid-light object to have floating objects?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 127