Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 224729 times)

Nunzillor

Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1680 on: January 02, 2016, 04:08:56 pm »

That thing is gonna be insanely useful.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: January 02, 2016, 04:30:12 pm »

I'll just take a crate or two of these...and possibly bring them to other's dimensions, and timelines...
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: January 02, 2016, 08:15:17 pm »

I honestly thing reciprocating saw should be more like...

SAW1 -> <-SAW2

So it's more like two circular saws where the total net force is into the jaws of death

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1683 on: January 02, 2016, 08:40:24 pm »

And then you just need to paint battlesuits with garish colours and you'll have yourself an ork vehicle.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: January 03, 2016, 02:24:43 am »

Why, of course. And while we're at it, let's get some Squiqs, and maybe some Gretchins in here.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1685 on: January 06, 2016, 12:25:35 pm »

5-second reset:
Okay, but how does it determine the reference frame for 'where it was'?  Because if that's absolute coordinates the thing's pretty useless.  You would only really be able to use it in a motionless or near-motionless frame of reference, which is not most planets.  Or ships.
It won't return you to empty space because the planet moved if thats your question.

If it knows that, then it is explicitly not using itself as a frame of reference, it has to use an outside one. How does it know that it was the person holding the reset that did the moving, instead of the environment (or a particular object in it) doing the moving? It can only know that if it uses some sort of outside viewpoint to determine the difference between 'reset moves towards object x, which is standing still' and 'x moves towards the reset, which is standing still.

To re-ask the last question: why doesn't it teleport you into space or into the ground if you use the reset while on a planet (which is moving around the local star at a significant speed)?

And in this case:
For the record, the very first two results already give some interesting potential results, in case people are wondering why I'm bothering with all this. For example, we know that if we fall down the pit, and hit reset, we go back up. Now imagine that instead of falling, you were standing inside a shuttle that flew down the pit so that your body has about the same trajectory as it had during the falling of the first scenario. It follows that, if you hit reset inside the shuttle, you will be teleported outside the shuttle up to that bridge (assuming the shuttle isn't so small it is teleported along with you, which is probably since the reset area isn't that large). Ergo, using the reset in a moving shuttle will teleport you outside the shuttle (and presumably to you splatting against the ground some time later). Thus, you can't safely use the reset while inside any moving vehicle.
is this correct, that using it in a moving shuttle will teleport you outside of it?

And as I mentioned, if you wanna say 'it just works as I need it to, it doesn't follow any strict rules' then that's fine, but just say so. Cause now you're claiming it works like x, but every other example here is evidence it simply cannot work like that. And not even in an "this couldn't work in the real world" but in a more basic "it isn't internally consistent, so a player cannot know what should happen upon using it". As said, this isn't meant to trap you or prove the system sucks, but to figure out where we stand in regards to using the thing. If the outcome is 'just ask pw whenever you wanna use it but aren't sure what ought to happen', that's fine by me. Hell, even if not knowing for sure what will happen when you press the button and not being allowed to ask for clarification is what you wanna go for, that's fine. Could be an interesting gameplay mechanic even, where pressing the button can save your life or make things infinitely worse when the wrong things happen.

Or, of course, it does work, but then I'm just not getting it.

*sigh*

It uses me as a point of reference. It just works alright? It works in an intelligent meta logic way that is hard to explain without just realizing that you're playing an rpg.

Is there a specific reason why you need to know EXACTLY how it works?  Because if this is gonna be a sticking point I can just get rid of it.

@Egan:
Good suggestion. Thanks.

@Dutrius:
There is already a near infinite shapeshifting multitool in the armoury for two tokens, so I don't want to clutter the pimpknuckle with too much stuff since it requires listing every single form.

Good name though, and some good ideas.

Spoiler: Changes (click to show/hide)

Piecewise, can players download or program new forms into their pimpknuckles after the buy it?
I suppose there's no reason they can't.

*For a small nominal fee at your local armory*

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: January 06, 2016, 01:20:05 pm »

No, that's perfectly alright. Again, this isn't to annoy you, but to get clarity (well, and to dubblecheck if isn't me just being too dumb to get it). I don't need an ic explanation, just an idea how it works mechanically. And if that's just 'depends on the situation, there is no fixed frame of reference' that's perfectly fine, and now we know.

I mean, imagine you think up a rifle and tell us it shoots bullets, but then when we test it every time a laser beam comes out. It's not that laser rifles are wrong, or that I want a whole technical schematic of the thing, just clarity of whether it's a or b, because it can't be both at the same time. Not having cake and eating it to, you know.

Anyway, I'll play nice and drop the reference frame questions. If I may however, is there a chance with telefragging when the place you get send beck to is occupied with something else? Say somebody placed a solid brass Isaac Newton statue at the spot on that bridge where you fell off.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:19:10 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1687 on: January 06, 2016, 01:38:39 pm »

Technically, it's more like being given a gun that fires auto-targeting bullets and asking what kind of sensors and program allows the bullets to find their target and make their way to it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: January 06, 2016, 03:21:52 pm »

Only insofar that the type of sensor determines what situations the auto targetting works in and when it doesn't. Pretty important, since it's tied to the basic gameplay mechanics of the thing.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1689 on: January 06, 2016, 03:31:39 pm »

Then you would be asking the wrong questions. Because you would be asking how it works instead of when it works.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: January 07, 2016, 02:29:58 am »

Those questions would be functionally equivalent in most circumstances though, if it indeed follows a system. And if it doesn't, then the possible answers are 'it doesn't use a system' or to give a lot of examples till it's clear how they work in most situations.

"It has a heat seeking sensor" or "it uses heat to track targets" or "it works in situations where your target has a higher temperature than its surroundings" seems mostly equivalent to me.

And it's not like the questions haven't payed off, I think I have a much better working model of the reset now, which seems to adequately fit the data we have.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1691 on: January 08, 2016, 11:24:41 am »

No, that's perfectly alright. Again, this isn't to annoy you, but to get clarity (well, and to dubblecheck if isn't me just being too dumb to get it). I don't need an ic explanation, just an idea how it works mechanically. And if that's just 'depends on the situation, there is no fixed frame of reference' that's perfectly fine, and now we know.

I mean, imagine you think up a rifle and tell us it shoots bullets, but then when we test it every time a laser beam comes out. It's not that laser rifles are wrong, or that I want a whole technical schematic of the thing, just clarity of whether it's a or b, because it can't be both at the same time. Not having cake and eating it to, you know.

Anyway, I'll play nice and drop the reference frame questions. If I may however, is there a chance with telefragging when the place you get send beck to is occupied with something else? Say somebody placed a solid brass Isaac Newton statue at the spot on that bridge where you fell off.

Basically, it will intelligently determine how to reconstruct you as best it can. I mean, if you're standing on a bridge and the bridge blows up and you reset as you fall, you'll probably end up back where the bridge used to be, and falling again, not down where the piece of it that you were on came to rest. It's hard to say without knowing the specific situation.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: January 08, 2016, 01:12:22 pm »

How much control do we have over solid light objects after creation?

can we levitate them around and manipulate them at will?

basically can I shoot laser swords at people and create self winding pocket watches?

also whats the range limitation that the objects need to stay within?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 01:14:41 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: January 09, 2016, 08:32:17 am »

So, you know how we sometimes have a poll on the wiki? This was the latest one:

How do you think mission 22 (the one with the Arbiter) should be described on the 'War Effort' page?

Minor failure.
Major failure.
Minor success.
Major success.
Minor failure/minor success (neutral).
I don't know, we should ask PW/Steve what he thinks, and use that.

The poll was created at 13:32 on December 6, 2015, and so far 16 people voted.

So pw, what do you think we should classify that missions as? It seems that the general opinion slightly leans toward it being a rather major failure.

I have an idea for a 'device' of sorts to help with our quest for a new home. Or rather, to help with the colonisation/building part. Would you mind if I go into that a bit more, or is that too close to tinker (as opposed to small questions)? It isn't an armory item.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 08:42:13 am by Radio Controlled »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: January 10, 2016, 09:44:27 pm »

How about some kind of Weevil explosive? Nothing special, just a pack of glow-worm degenerators designed to be planted and activated to chew through important supports, perhaps with some sort of director function to chew through a few dozen metres of steel in a door shape instead of a massive sphere of 'Ieatyou'ness.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 127