Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 224956 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1620 on: December 17, 2015, 09:50:11 pm »

How heavy are the objects created by the light gun?
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: December 17, 2015, 10:09:17 pm »

Does the white mask itself have any sensory organs? EG can you still see when you're not stuck to a body?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: December 17, 2015, 10:10:57 pm »

Follow up to that, would dropping hard light on something squish it?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: December 18, 2015, 06:31:59 am »

If hardlight can do this I patent the anvil gun.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: December 18, 2015, 06:54:54 am »

If hardlight can do this I patent the anvil gun.
>:(
I patented the idea of the gun that does preset constructs already.  You no can has.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1625 on: December 18, 2015, 08:09:28 am »

I'd like to ask for your opinion on the following two concepts. Do they sound doable and/or like something that would be fun in game?

1. Imagine putting one of those self-growing organic computers we got from the Anomalous Planetoid in a battlesuit and connecting it both to the user's brain and the battlesuit itself and having it try to emulate them.

The goal is that if the pilot is incapacitated or killed, the AI in the battlesuit will take over and continue fighting, not as intelligently as the player but probably just as capable if not more. Kinda like some vehicles in Warhammer 40k that can be temporarily controlled by their machine spirit.

The AI is deactivated after some time so that it doesn't run rampant, but it could be retrieved and transported back to Hephaestus to be put in a fighting robot and get sent to the front lines to fight off-screen.

Essentially kinda like an Avatar-like upgrade for battlesuits and other exoskeletons that makes killing the pilot no longer be a foolproof strategy: "You kill me or render me unconscious, you now have a killing machine controlled by a semi-alien intelligence to deal with".

2. If I remember correctly, the problem with Stevebots is that they are so advanced and made they need an advanced AI to be controlled properly
(plus the fact that creating the parts that make up a Stevebot requires very specialized machinery with very little margin for error). So get a Stevebot with no weapons (just the hyper advanced body) and put one of the above mentioned organic computers to control it. Maybe give it some speakers/multi-colour led lights/movable head parts to make it more expressive.

Once the guys on Hephaestus have gotten it to learn to use its body (walk, etc) and to understand what energy sources it needs to survive, it gets sent to the Sword and sent to accompany people on missions to gain experience and be taught things, sort of like training a dog or a baby. Someone should probably be assigned as being responsible for it, to make training easier. It should probably not have the ability to survive very long without "food", both so that it can be rewarded with it (or even be rewarded with better versions of "food") and so that if it escapes or otherwise turns against us it is harder for it to survive for long.

The end goal is that once it has completed say 10 missions, we will have a Stevebot intelligent/capable enough to be used as a template to create other Stevebots that don't actually have to be controlled by Steve or another powerful AI. They can then be taught different skills and be sent out to be warriors or assassins or bodyguards or whatever, kinda like lesser versions of the Arbiters of Peace.
A bit more unstable though, since they are self-evolving AIs, but still powerful. And this universe is kinda fucked anyway, so I don't think potentially unleashing the Replicators is such a bad thing right now. They are also organic, so it's unlikely that a single individual can live forever.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:57:08 pm by Parisbre56 »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: December 18, 2015, 11:53:51 am »

Bad Paris! No tinkering on mission, especially not walls of text like that.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1627 on: December 18, 2015, 12:54:39 pm »

Bad Paris! No tinkering on mission, especially not walls of text like that.
I'm not tinkering. I'm merely asking about piecewise's opinion on certain vague concepts. Piecewise doesn't need to think about how exactly it would work, because I'm not asking about concrete stuff and how they work or how they are combined. He merely has to give a yes/no/maybe/that sounds good/that sounds terrible/wat response on the concept itself, that is, if he feels that would be a thing that would be fun/doable in game. I did the same thing with Xan's limboskeleton design, that's why I assumed it was OK. Tinkering would involve me asking a hundred questions about how to build something and how many tokens it would cost and combining extra magnets and enlarging weapons and armour penetration and things like that. I assumed the fact that I started with
I'd like to inquire on the possibility of the following:
would make that clear, but I guess I'll edit that to make it extra clear.

EDIT: Anyway, if piecewise does not like it he can say so and I'll stop immediately.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 01:15:36 pm by Parisbre56 »

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: December 18, 2015, 01:04:00 pm »

Sorry, noob questions:
- What precisely is the difference between this and the Hephaestus threads?
- Is the gurney only being considered on the Hephaestus thread, or on both?
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1629 on: December 18, 2015, 01:14:57 pm »

The Hephaestus OOC thread is supposed to be for Tinker discussion or other discussion about the war or about Hephaestus.
The Tinker thread (this thread) is supposed to be for tinker actions.
Sometimes tinker discussion will take place in the Tinker thread.
Tinker actions will never be processed in the Hephaestus OOC thread.
I think the normal Hephaestus thread is no longer working, only the Hephaestus OOC one is.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: December 18, 2015, 04:32:23 pm »

Spoiler: @Maegli (click to show/hide)

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: December 18, 2015, 05:00:03 pm »

((Thank you for the replies. I'm reposting it then, this time bolded.))

St. Bernard gurney bot

Exploding a Gunner Bot, select the legs and actuators, the control unit, and one AV device from its sensors suite.

Break a scoop stretcher in four parts, and reconnect them with electric telescopic fittings long enough to stretch around an armored human.
Fit spring self-winding safety belts for patient immobilization.
Fix the legs around the gurney, and the AV and control unit at its head.

Optional gear: a light-bending spray painted protective shell of Milno-plate around the head and sharkplate elsewhere.
Optional gear: articulated arm, one canister of each: medifoam, painkillers, coagulant boosters and anti-shock meds to remotely work on the patient.

And yes, although not designed for it, I imagine that there are other uses:
- by itself, it obviously can be used to cart stuff,
- the first optional configuration can also be used for stealth insertions or as a light APC,
- the second one, I don't know, maybe it could allow silent abductions or something, especially if used together with the first option.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: December 20, 2015, 12:28:38 pm »

What should we do with the kinamps in a battlesuit's knuckles? Cause origin tech. Either remove them, or assume anyone who can afford a battlesuit is competent enough to handle some kinamps.

Similar deal with the multi-function gauntlet. Can we remove the kinamp and lower the price a token or two?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: December 21, 2015, 02:43:52 pm »

About that lenocane idea: could be done with hormone and gene therapy to increase bone turnover rate as high as is safe (or higher :D), and to introduce a modified alkaline phosphatase which specifically releases 'pimpcane-phosphate' molecules at sites of mineralization. Osteoclasts would have to de-pimp the phosphates, and you'd also need to introduce a chelator to carry the pimpcane metal in the blood (from injection and osteoclasts to osteoblasts). Hopefully, chelated pimpcane molecules would not be active, because it would sure suck if you flung all your blood out of your body at high speeds... (hint hint it should totally be an accepted risk). The Doctor can already do more amazing things, this should be comparatively simple.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1634 on: December 21, 2015, 06:11:16 pm »

Yes, a set of preset shapes.

How much for that?  Similar to the instant containment gun?

Oh, about 2 or 3 more than the containment gun.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't think I ever got a reply on these. Could you look them over, PW?
1. So what is the purpose of this? Just having some of that stuff in the handle to use?

I believe his point is enabling Jedi sword fighting techniques. Throw the razor and pull it back through necks because opponent thinks it's no danger anymore.

Does Black Halo technology absolutely require human contact, or could it be preprogrammed into a grenade or bullet? For example "Sensory deprivation" grenade. "Everybody is now Altered" grenade? Or grenade whose effect can be mentally programmed just before it is thrown?
Dunno, maybe. But it would be a pretty expensive thing to just huck around.

But with limited range and duration it could be reusable, right? Lob temporary hallucination grenade at enemies and shoot them while they are distracted and panicking and retrieve it once safe. Or use it perhaps as a stationary distraction: Break a door, set up a Black Halo grenade to make the door look and feel intact. Make your duplicate appear in bed, or duplicates of guards you killed standing in guard. Applications are limitless if you are brave enough.
Huh, well ok.

Yes, all that is theoretically true. The problem is that the thing would have to be preprogrammed with the the hallucination it causes and it wouldn't be dynamic, at least not without connection to your brain too.

I trust your judgment on the "Shredder" suit PW. I'm on mission and really don't want to incur anythings wrath by tinkering.
It's not a bad idea in theory, but focusing on a melee suit and letting the users wield their own weapons might be better.

Can one use the pocket dimension like a portal gun?

Could you explain a bit how the 5sec reset works? Like, one activates it, then what exactly happens to any particular molecule inside the affected radius, frame by frame?

Hmm. Sorta? It can only be open in any one place at any one time, but you could open it at point a, put something in, then open it at point b and take it out.

How it works? Functionally, you have a device on your arm, about the size of an over sized bracelet or manacle. And it has a button. When you press it, it causes the reverting process. When this process is activated, all the molecules and matter that was within the device's active memory field is plucked out of wherever it currently is and brought back to where it used to be. It does that...well not instantly but quickly enough that solid matter between any of those molecules and their destination isn't affected.

1.Does being in a white mask render you immune to drugs, or can you get high if you possess a body that's high?

2.A white mask can possess anyone/thing which touches it, right?  Even if they just pick it up?

3.Can a white mask be put inside a braincase, and possess it, essentially acting as a roboperson?

4.How tough is a white mask?  Would it break from being dropped?

5.Could a white mask be protected by coating it in mythril/some other metal, leaving only a small contact patch for possession?

6.Can you use a 5-second reset to clone ammo for the 5-second reset?

7.Can you use a 5-second reset to clone armory equipment/nyartifacts, which you can then sell to other players?

8.Can a 5-second reset be set to automatically activate after severe trauma?

9.How long is "a short period" when using the 5-second reset often?  Is it directly prortional to how much of a munchkin the user is?

Hmm thats kind of a difficult question. Your mind won't get high, but your body will. Now, the mask allows the mind to "see" without eyes, so hallucinogens won't do anything, but intoxicants might. If you drink a bunch of booze, for instance, your mind won't be effected, but your body might have reduced reflexes and balance due to the effects. Likewise, stimulants would allow the body to act more effectively even though the mind feels no effect from them.

Yes. But you can choose to try to do it or not. You're not gonna be mindfucking everyone who touches you. Unless you want to.

Yes. It can even make the briefcase open and close like a puppet mouth.

Depends. Drop it from a few feet onto tile or brick and it will probably survive. Drop it from 6 feet and you're at 50/50 odds. It's like a strong ceramic.

As long as it can touch, it can possess, so yes

No. The 5 second reset, as it says in the armory, moves things back to previous positions. no new matter is created.

No.

The standard one doesn't have that option, but you could wire it up to trauma sensing systems on your suit and rig up a simple electrical switch to trigger the thing for you if you are too injured. Deadman switch sort of thing.

It doesn't have a hard number right now, but if you abuse it, I abuse you.

Depends on their size? Assume a weight about that of metallic aluminum.

Does the white mask itself have any sensory organs? EG can you still see when you're not stuck to a body?
The best way I can explain it is to say it puts you in third person mode.

Again, depends on the size doesn't it? If I drop a steel coin on you, do you die? What about a steel beam? Slightly different effect perhaps?

I'd like to ask for your opinion on the following two concepts. Do they sound doable and/or like something that would be fun in game?

1. Imagine putting one of those self-growing organic computers we got from the Anomalous Planetoid in a battlesuit and connecting it both to the user's brain and the battlesuit itself and having it try to emulate them.

The goal is that if the pilot is incapacitated or killed, the AI in the battlesuit will take over and continue fighting, not as intelligently as the player but probably just as capable if not more. Kinda like some vehicles in Warhammer 40k that can be temporarily controlled by their machine spirit.

The AI is deactivated after some time so that it doesn't run rampant, but it could be retrieved and transported back to Hephaestus to be put in a fighting robot and get sent to the front lines to fight off-screen.

Essentially kinda like an Avatar-like upgrade for battlesuits and other exoskeletons that makes killing the pilot no longer be a foolproof strategy: "You kill me or render me unconscious, you now have a killing machine controlled by a semi-alien intelligence to deal with".

2. If I remember correctly, the problem with Stevebots is that they are so advanced and made they need an advanced AI to be controlled properly
(plus the fact that creating the parts that make up a Stevebot requires very specialized machinery with very little margin for error). So get a Stevebot with no weapons (just the hyper advanced body) and put one of the above mentioned organic computers to control it. Maybe give it some speakers/multi-colour led lights/movable head parts to make it more expressive.

Once the guys on Hephaestus have gotten it to learn to use its body (walk, etc) and to understand what energy sources it needs to survive, it gets sent to the Sword and sent to accompany people on missions to gain experience and be taught things, sort of like training a dog or a baby. Someone should probably be assigned as being responsible for it, to make training easier. It should probably not have the ability to survive very long without "food", both so that it can be rewarded with it (or even be rewarded with better versions of "food") and so that if it escapes or otherwise turns against us it is harder for it to survive for long.

The end goal is that once it has completed say 10 missions, we will have a Stevebot intelligent/capable enough to be used as a template to create other Stevebots that don't actually have to be controlled by Steve or another powerful AI. They can then be taught different skills and be sent out to be warriors or assassins or bodyguards or whatever, kinda like lesser versions of the Arbiters of Peace.
A bit more unstable though, since they are self-evolving AIs, but still powerful. And this universe is kinda fucked anyway, so I don't think potentially unleashing the Replicators is such a bad thing right now. They are also organic, so it's unlikely that a single individual can live forever.
You're on mission, aren't you...

Sure. Just make sure not to give it to someone mentally unstable.

Hmm. Theory of training a brain is sound but I'm not sure about that method.

Sorry, noob questions:
- What precisely is the difference between this and the Hephaestus threads?
- Is the gurney only being considered on the Hephaestus thread, or on both?
Heph thread is a failure and we all feel bad. Tinker is here to continue to hurt me.

I assume here? I'm not sure what the gurney is you're talking about. But yeah, post your tinkering here, always.

((Thank you for the replies. I'm reposting it then, this time bolded.))

St. Bernard gurney bot

Exploding a Gunner Bot, select the legs and actuators, the control unit, and one AV device from its sensors suite.

Break a scoop stretcher in four parts, and reconnect them with electric telescopic fittings long enough to stretch around an armored human.
Fit spring self-winding safety belts for patient immobilization.
Fix the legs around the gurney, and the AV and control unit at its head.

Optional gear: a light-bending spray painted protective shell of Milno-plate around the head and sharkplate elsewhere.
Optional gear: articulated arm, one canister of each: medifoam, painkillers, coagulant boosters and anti-shock meds to remotely work on the patient.

And yes, although not designed for it, I imagine that there are other uses:
- by itself, it obviously can be used to cart stuff,
- the first optional configuration can also be used for stealth insertions or as a light APC,
- the second one, I don't know, maybe it could allow silent abductions or something, especially if used together with the first option.

This will all work, though gunner bots are fairly expensive, even stripped down. Wetware computer and all.

What should we do with the kinamps in a battlesuit's knuckles? Cause origin tech. Either remove them, or assume anyone who can afford a battlesuit is competent enough to handle some kinamps.

Similar deal with the multi-function gauntlet. Can we remove the kinamp and lower the price a token or two?

I'd say remove and replace with something else.

Maybe pimpcane metal knuckles?

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 127