Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 224738 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1470 on: October 06, 2015, 09:21:01 pm »

A self destruct button. To keep things !!FUN!!
Nah, we might be insane, but we're not !!MAD!! Scientists here.  Now, a way to rig it to blow on command is entirely different.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: October 07, 2015, 07:35:10 am »

It doesn't have to be that tiny as long as it's portable. About the size of a briefcase would be fine. Welder+cutting torch+soldering iron+generator. Still at one token?

Hey tinkerers do you think anything else absolutely needs to be crammed into this welder combo thing?

Might as well throw in an electric voltmeter (they're not that complex or expensive even today, and this is The Future) into the combo, since I'm not sure how useful is soldiering iron without checking the state of soldered connections and all that. And I'm still a bit hazy on the distinction between this and the multi-tool - could you explain along what lines you split the two? Powered and unpowered? Simple and complex? Big briefcase and small multi-tool? Small briefcase and Big Bag of assorted tools with "MULTI-TOOL" logo?

(Totally making the bag if no one else implements it before that :P)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: October 07, 2015, 11:11:35 am »

The multitool is a fancy shapeshifting mess of actuators and stuff that can turn into pretty much any mechanical tool. It's based on something Simus got for Christmas a few years ago. Can become pretty much any unpowered tool, and works as power tools if you add saw blades or drill bits or grinding wheels or whatever. But it can't weld or solder or do anything electrical. Weighs about 10 pounds, size is variable.

The briefcase welder combo thing is supposed to fill the gaps and perform the functions that the multitool can't. Like welding and soldering. And electric voltometering.

Maybe the multitool should be called omnitool instead even though that's ripping off Mass Effect it's a cool name and it fits.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:52:56 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: October 07, 2015, 09:06:42 pm »

It can't be the omnitool because that uses spacemagic.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: October 08, 2015, 07:31:32 am »

Well, there's a long-standing tradition of rivalry between Latin and (Ancient) Greek words usage for "scientific"(-sounding) names for things. Thus, poly-tool instead of multi-tool, and maybe tauta-tool instead of omni-tool?..
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1475 on: October 08, 2015, 07:39:08 am »

Just call it "The Tool". That way you can make innuendos, like "Oh, my! Your tool is so big and bulky!"

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1476 on: October 09, 2015, 10:07:31 am »

How many minutes for the version that flies "a few minutes at a time"? Something like five or fifteen?

And what would be the price difference between that and continuous flight? I'd like to make the power input flexible for the case people want to add more batteries, generators or alien power sources.

Well, the thing of it is that flying around drains a lot of power. We'd have to have capacitors in there to allow it to store up power first. For continuous flight, you'd need a lot more capacitors and an even more powerful power source. For flights of specific times, we can make due with smaller power sources and more limited capacitors, so long as you're ok with a refractory period between flights.  This means the pack will be smaller and cheaper. How much smaller and cheaper depends on the amount of time.

In order to reach continuous flight, we'd need to have a pack able to fly for 50~minute bursts. Anything under that and you'll not be able to fly continuously, but your costs and size will be reduced fairly significantly.

Okay, so if I built the Kinetic Feedback Engine, how long would it run before breaking due to overstress, assuming 0-cost materials other than the KinAmps?  How much power output would be lost to ensuring it doesn't explode?  How much power output would it be able to sustain with that loss?  How noisy is it?  Is bigger better?
Less then a second probably, due to residual energy multiplication. You'd honestly be better off with just using a single amp to increase power output rather then trying to create an infinite cycle.

Pre-emptive tinker project for M24, because im bored of waiting to get to heph to gain IC knowledge of coldspikes.

make an angled metal hubcap that anchors onto the MK suits radiator fins or heat distribution coil.
cover the exterior in MK suit fabric.

have it contain a coldspike inside it so that when the hubcap is attached the spike eats all the heat the suit is giving off.

get price.

Well, not too much. Though, doesn't the MCP not use the fins anymore? And anything MKII or above doesn't either. For the price of sticking this on there, they could get a MKII for just a bit more and have medical systems built in.

Yeah, it seems fine.
Coolio. So, how big would the thing be then, and how much would it cost?

Hmm. I'm not sure how the pistol works exactly, but you think a "Cartridge" might work better? Sort of like a bullet except it's a single use heat sink? Get a few for a token.
How many per token are we speaking then?

Because, while that's a good idea, the problem I might see with that is that a blaster pistol gun is basically 'free', you pay for the ammo (1 token blueshard+pistol and 1 token blueshard mag). So, when firing overcharge, you 'loose' the pistol, but since you could get a 'free pistol' with every blueshard mag bought, you don't really loose anything substantial. The only thing you really gain when buying anything that solves the melting is that you don't run the risk of some molten metal encasing your hand, which isn't all that big of a deal anyways.

Eh, probably the size of a large briefcase? Like this: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Large-Rolling-Case-Camera-Gun-Carrying_60233530937.html

Cost? Eh. I'll leave that up to the council. Not a whole lot though. 3-5 token range I think.

I was thinking about 4. Which would let you use the overcharge 4 times instead of 1 for the same price.

It doesn't have to be that tiny as long as it's portable. About the size of a briefcase would be fine. Welder+cutting torch+soldering iron+generator. Still at one token?

Hey tinkerers do you think anything else absolutely needs to be crammed into this welder combo thing?

Hmm. We'll make it not that big, but something thats about 5 inches thick and a foot and 2 inches long.  For 2 token.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: October 09, 2015, 10:28:27 am »

Pre-emptive tinker project for M24, because im bored of waiting to get to heph to gain IC knowledge of coldspikes.

make an angled metal hubcap that anchors onto the MK suits radiator fins or heat distribution coil.
cover the exterior in MK suit fabric.

have it contain a coldspike inside it so that when the hubcap is attached the spike eats all the heat the suit is giving off.

get price.

Well, not too much. Though, doesn't the MCP not use the fins anymore? And anything MKII or above doesn't either. For the price of sticking this on there, they could get a MKII for just a bit more and have medical systems built in.
So wait.. how do MkII's and MKIII's radiate heat if they dont have radiator fins or exhaust ports?

the point of this is to completely eliminate heat emissions an all versions of the mk and mcp suits, and  toallow for a perfectly contained environment.
mainly so that we dont feed the thermophage, but also because it has stealth benefits and prevents ice related explosions originating form the cooling systems.

how much would it cost to replace the existing cooling systems with a coldspike? and how much would it cost to simply add the coldspike to the existing cooling systems and cover it up with mk suit fabric?

also what is the standalone price for an individual coldspike?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:33:34 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: October 09, 2015, 10:33:59 am »

So wait.. how do MkII's and MKIII's radiate heat if they dont have radiator fins or exhaust ports?

Entire surface of the suit radiates the excess heat.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: October 09, 2015, 10:58:28 am »

Hmm.
If I did the Kinetic Feedback Engine with only one Kinetic Amplifier, but the rest being the same, would it suffer catastrophic failure?  Can some sort of compensatory mechanism be installed to prevent it from breaking?

Also:
Porting a subset of common materials and ways of hitting, dissolving, moving, or removing them to a wristpad app.  Also, a tester kit thing integrated with said for decent on-the-spot materials input.  Also, a searchable compressed database of less common things that would still be likely.  In fact, generally this should be compressed into as small a package as possible.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:36:30 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1480 on: October 09, 2015, 11:37:21 am »

I have a feeling I might have proposed this idea before, but is there any way to use a kinamp configuration similar to the kinamp-club to make a conventional weapon that shoots shockwaves when in atmosphere? Essentially something like a kinamp stuck on a piston that can charge up to different levels of force and then hit a surface, releasing a directed shockwave in the process. Maybe with something to redirect the force, if needed.

If the above works, try to make an add-on that makes the weapon wrist or hand mounted, like a hand laser, so it can also be used to make pneumatically enhanced kinamp punches.

And an add-on that removes the barrier the kinamp hits, thus allowing it to launch the kinamp as a crossbow bolt, for a shot that wastes whatever ammo is left in the kinamp but deals a lot of damage.
Edit: Although I guess that if the bolt survives it could be retrieved and reused.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:08:52 pm by Parisbre56 »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: October 09, 2015, 01:45:18 pm »

So what's the TPU on the welder's generator? I'm guessing around the same as a MK1 suit.
Welder combo also includes a voltmeter now, I assume that's no big deal.

Those two things are ready for Heph approval. I'll have a writeup in the Heph thread soon.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:02:25 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: October 09, 2015, 01:49:40 pm »

How many tokens for the version that flies continuously (50), one that flies for (25) and another that flies for (10)?

Can the 10 minute pack be made as a sort of basic mother module and the more expensive versions made as addons/expansions to be purchased later as necessary to upgrade the flight capabilities?
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: October 09, 2015, 09:29:29 pm »

Is there a model of the Sword? What about a model of a player room? If there is, pull it up and exam the walls of the room, taking note of any electrical lines/pipes/whatever.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:53:47 pm by AkumaKasai »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: October 10, 2015, 10:26:13 am »

I was thinking about 4. Which would let you use the overcharge 4 times instead of 1 for the same price.

Wait, I'm not following entirely. Since the overcharge always depletes the whole battery, and the gun body itself is essentially free, what does one win here in terms of tokens? The way I see it, one would be paying 1 token and in exchange be able to use an overcharge 4 times (using 4 different batteries) without running risk of the molten metal encasing the hand. Because, again, the gun body itself is practically free, so you don't 'save tokens' by saving the gun body, you just buy yourself the convenience of not running the risk of having that molten slag get on your hands. So, with that in mind, would it be possible to get the number of heat sinks up to 5 or 6 per token?

Would a mod that makes the gun from something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(aka rather small and unobtrusive)
into something like this (very rough comparisons here):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Be good? Just to get a mental picture. Alternatively, maybe a pistol design with the heatsink cartridges in place of bullets?
Oh, and at what numbers does one start getting discounts when buying pistol ammo?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 127