Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 225008 times)

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1260 on: August 01, 2015, 12:38:12 pm »

They're custom made. Talk to the armory master or the R&D people. It's not going to be cheap though
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: August 01, 2015, 12:50:08 pm »

Ouch. I'm I may have to rethink my design.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 01, 2015, 01:34:47 pm »

Everything costs. Except 10 pounds of scrap metal and drugs.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 01, 2015, 02:03:42 pm »

I can still prototype it in tinker for free though right?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 01, 2015, 02:24:06 pm »

Yes, since it is all virtual.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 01, 2015, 02:39:44 pm »

Call up the schematic for a gauss rifle with the sniper rifle conversion kit. At the back of the barrel add a mold for bullets, on top off the mold add a hopper just that is just big enough for enough metal to fill the mold to heat the metal and pour it into the mold. In any empty space inside the rifle add a small auto manipulator to melt the metal in the hopper. then put some scrap metal in the hopper and let it melt, then test fire the weapon.
Will this series of commands work, or do I need to be more specific?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:28:36 pm by Urist McCoder »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 01, 2015, 04:16:31 pm »

You should probably specify how big the automanip is, otherwise you might be carrying around a car-sized thing with a gun attached to it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1267 on: August 01, 2015, 04:22:55 pm »

And you might also want to try a conventional solution to the problem before going with space magic. A laser running off the Gauss generator for example might not be as quick or as powerful as the automanipulator, but it would be much much cheaper.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 01, 2015, 04:28:00 pm »

Space magic was the only thing that I could think of, where would I get a laser like that?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 01, 2015, 04:29:50 pm »

Well, the cutting laser can cut through building in one fell swoop.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1270 on: August 01, 2015, 04:48:21 pm »

Space magic was the only thing that I could think of, where would I get a laser like that?
The point of Tinker is either to think of a theoretical design and find out its feasibility and cost, attempt the modification and recombination of already existing equipment, test equipment without buying it, find out more about equipment or a combination of the above. Once you figure out what you want/need and how much it costs, you can buy it from the Armory (or the parts you need, since the armory can get you almost anything) or try to get Hephaestus to mass produce it.

So there's no need to worry about where the parts will come from (although keep in mind that recombining existing equipment is usually cheaper than creating or ordering custom parts and equipment). The Armory will provide them. Just focus on making a good and efficient design.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 01, 2015, 05:16:44 pm »

here is my new plan, it is for a rifle that melts down any ferrous metal and then shoots it at variable ranges. Call up the schematic for a Gauss rifle. Remove any loading mechanism and repair any hole once this is done. Add a small dial on the side that controls the strength of the magnets in the barrel, and a switch that flips the polarity. Separate the stock of the rifle form the body and add a solid block of metal the width and height width of the body of the gun where you separated the stock form the gun. the block is about 5 inches long. Weld any attachment points need to attach the stock to the end of the new block of metal.

Carve a hopper with a hatch on top, that is not quite as deep as the barrel and is slightly smaller then the mold below into the block of metal between the stock and the main body of the gun.

Carve out a space behind the hopper on the same level for a laser. Bore a hole between the hopper and the laser head so that the laser can melt the metal inside the hopper.

under neath the hopper there is a mold for a standard gauss rifle round. the mold is connected to the hopper by a small tunnel with a valve that when turned on allows molten metal to flow from the hopper into the mold. the mold is on the same level as the barrel carve out the metal separating the barrel and the front of the mold and replace it with a door that moves up and down. At the back of the mold there is a piston that push the round out of the mold and into the barrel.

Here is the order of the mechanical actions that happen. The hatch on top of the hopper opened. Scrap metal is loaded into the hopper. when the hatch is closed the valve separating the hopper from the mold is turned off. And the laser heats the metal until it is molten. The valve then turns to the on position dumping the molten metal into the mold. The valve is turned to the off position. The round in the mold is allowed to cool. Once the round is cool if there is no round in the barrel the door in front of the mold opens and the piston at the back of the mold pushes the round. If there is a round in the barrel the hatch on top of the hopper gets locked so that you can not put any more metal in.

When you pull the trigger it fires the round. And if there is a cooled round in the mold. It will open the door between the mold and the barrel, and then the piston at the back of the mold pushes the round into the barrel and unlocks the hatch on top of the hopper.

Fill the hopper with ferrous scrap metal, wait for it to make the round and then test fire the weapon at 100 percent power.

Then try to front load the gun using a premade Gauss rifle slug. by switching the polarity of the coils. placing the slug at the front of the barrel and firing the weapon at 2 percent power. Then put the polarity back to normal and fire the weapon at 100 percent power.

EDIT: oops I missed the clause for pulling the trigger.
EDIT 2: I forgot to say to fire the weapon.
EDIT 3: clarified, and added the ability to front load the gun

I tired to be as specific as I could be and make it very clear how everything works. Did I make any glaring errors that would prevent this from working? Does any one have a suggestion for how to improve it?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 05:29:53 am by Urist McCoder »

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 01, 2015, 05:22:58 pm »

Am I allowed to post pictures to clarify my design?

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1273 on: August 01, 2015, 05:28:54 pm »

It's a good idea. Go ahead.

Oh, just to point out, gauss rifles will only fire slugs made from a ferromagnetic metal.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:31:13 pm by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 01, 2015, 05:33:37 pm »

Note to self: We can levitate frogs with magnets. Make gauss frog gun.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 127