Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 225461 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #840 on: October 25, 2014, 01:27:07 pm »

Alright, here's the specifics for that Laser Discoball Grenade I'm dubbing "Disco Inferno" :P.

1)Combine a one-shot battery with the most powerful laser emitter I can get my hands on through our fronts. Add specially designed lenses to refract the beam(I wouldn't call it a focusing chamber, since that's the opposite of what I'm trying to do :P. Call it a refracting chamber). The chamber spins as the laser passes through, refracting the light at an upwards angle.
2)Pack it into a case that's somewhat egg-shaped and weighted on the bottom. The idea is that no matter what position it lands when I throw it, it would right itself. I'm also aiming to keep this somewhat reasonably throwable, or even better throwable AND being able to be shot from a launcher.

((Thanx paris for the tip!))

((Last time someone (Anton) tried to make a throwable laser grenade, it was rather stupendously weak. Lasers need time to inflict their damage, compact lasers even more so. Even if you fit a few full-size laser rifle emitters into a disc the size of a manhole cover, any kind of rapid movement or rotation from being thrown or launched is going to murder its ability to murder things. Making it a single bigger laser and a rotating prism array would work better, but you'd have to put it down, and it'd have to rotate fairly slowly to be a danger to people. There are some things lasers suck at, and being a grenade is one of them.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #841 on: October 27, 2014, 11:54:25 am »

Message to Doc:

Hmm. So somebody using a body like that intensively will inevitably face brain atrophy? Could that process be slowed or reversed? By, say, using an automanip that reverts the damage?

And how does Renen differ from the original Arbiters? A better design, or lesser but more resource efficient?
Slowed, but only depending on actions of user.
Renen different only in that his abilities not always active. Limits damage to brain, but requires extensive gene therapy and isn't always reliable, or survivable. Body also limited in capacities.

Alright, here's the specifics for that Laser Discoball Grenade I'm dubbing "Disco Inferno" :P.

1)Combine a one-shot battery with the most powerful laser emitter I can get my hands on through our fronts. Add specially designed lenses to refract the beam(I wouldn't call it a focusing chamber, since that's the opposite of what I'm trying to do :P. Call it a refracting chamber). The chamber spins as the laser passes through, refracting the light at an upwards angle.
2)Pack it into a case that's somewhat egg-shaped and weighted on the bottom. The idea is that no matter what position it lands when I throw it, it would right itself. I'm also aiming to keep this somewhat reasonably throwable, or even better throwable AND being able to be shot from a launcher.

So a laser Weeble?

You know, you can get the discoball effect by just fracturing or warping a focusing chamber right? You don't need anything special, just a focusing chamber and a hammer.

((Last time someone (Anton) tried to make a throwable laser grenade, it was rather stupendously weak. Lasers need time to inflict their damage, compact lasers even more so. Even if you fit a few full-size laser rifle emitters into a disc the size of a manhole cover, any kind of rapid movement or rotation from being thrown or launched is going to murder its ability to murder things. Making it a single bigger laser and a rotating prism array would work better, but you'd have to put it down, and it'd have to rotate fairly slowly to be a danger to people. There are some things lasers suck at, and being a grenade is one of them.))
Unfortunately this is pretty much true. The best kind of "Laser grenade" would probably be a weeble with a built in laser that slowly swept around on a track, but thats not terribly fast or easy to make.

Again, what ever happened to a jar full of nails and c4?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 27, 2014, 12:56:36 pm »

send message to Doc:

What, exactly, is the 'purpose' of the Renen-body prototype? If one can use an artificial brain to work around the problem of an organic brain going berserk, why test a system that's not always on?

Oh, and do we have the needed data to produce these high quality artificial brains? If not, any idea where we could get that?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #843 on: October 27, 2014, 05:48:16 pm »

Just for fun:
Battlesuit-sized Mythril chainsword that is efficient and won't break apart after a hit: more than 30 tokens?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:49:59 pm by Parisbre56 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: October 27, 2014, 06:43:48 pm »

((Mrglefrgle. Why are my ideas never panning out? Oh well, forget the whole thing then, since my next idea would be something like a plasma grenade, and I doubt I'd be able to scrounge the materials for THAT through our fronts :P)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 27, 2014, 06:55:01 pm »

Just for fun:
Battlesuit-sized Mythril chainsword that is efficient and won't break apart after a hit: more than 30 tokens?
This but only the blades are mithril and then only the cutting edge, price difference?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #846 on: October 27, 2014, 07:26:57 pm »

Just for fun:
This but only the blades are mithril and then only the cutting edge, price difference?
((I think that will still be at least as expensive as that ice-pick-like thing that one guy made and more likely to fail. The connection between Mythril and whatever other material you are using is likely to break apart due to the stress involved with cutting something like battlesuit armour. It's better if the entire chain is made of Mythril.
Or you could just use a normal, less  expensive material.
Or if you want something cheap, capable of cutting almost anything and don't care about the chance of it breaking down, you could use the spinner sword or monoatomic drill I developed.
But anyway, you're better off using a less ridiculous, less expensive and more efficient weapon like a kinetic amp.
Or just buying specialized ammo for the gauss rifle. The most efficient choice by far. Which I am surprised that almost nobody ever takes for some reason.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 27, 2014, 07:39:38 pm »

I kind of was meaning tha tge entire chain would be mithril, it would just be made from razor sharp angular donuts so tgat it requirs less material to make.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #848 on: October 29, 2014, 10:00:09 am »

send message to Doc:

What, exactly, is the 'purpose' of the Renen-body prototype? If one can use an artificial brain to work around the problem of an organic brain going berserk, why test a system that's not always on?

Oh, and do we have the needed data to produce these high quality artificial brains? If not, any idea where we could get that?
"Artificial brains are hard to come by. A system not dependent on one would be useful. Need more research."

"You have bio-forge yes? First, it needs to copy the brain you're basing the artificial system on. Then, molecular level construction system needs to replicate in non-organic medium, replacing synapses with electronic equivalents. Computer simulation of brain possible but potential dangers. Aberrant behaviors. Artificial brain fine tuning takes time as well; altering structure to maximize usability."

Just for fun:
"Battlesuit-sized mythril-"

Yes.

Just for fun:
Just for fun:
((I think that will still be at least as expensive as that ice-pick-like thing that one guy made and more likely to fail. The connection between Mythril and whatever other material you are using is likely to break apart due to the stress involved with cutting something like battlesuit armour. It's better if the entire chain is made of Mythril.
Or you could just use a normal, less  expensive material.
Or if you want something cheap, capable of cutting almost anything and don't care about the chance of it breaking down, you could use the spinner sword or monoatomic drill I developed.
But anyway, you're better off using a less ridiculous, less expensive and more efficient weapon like a kinetic amp.
Or just buying specialized ammo for the gauss rifle. The most efficient choice by far. Which I am surprised that almost nobody ever takes for some reason.))
You wanna run this tinkering stuff Paris? You're pretty good at it.

What he said.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: October 30, 2014, 11:14:41 pm »

Okay, tinker time. For the sake of the ARM good, nothing less!

How is treating sods in the field different from vanilla humans? What traditional difficulties and problems have been solved in their design (no pain, what else - boosted immune system? faster coagulating blood? etc.)?
What (if any) new medical challenges does treating sods pose? Are they even human enough to be treatable with the same medications? Would the fleshknitter work on them?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #850 on: October 31, 2014, 01:15:55 pm »

Okay, tinker time. For the sake of the ARM good, nothing less!

How is treating sods in the field different from vanilla humans? What traditional difficulties and problems have been solved in their design (no pain, what else - boosted immune system? faster coagulating blood? etc.)?
What (if any) new medical challenges does treating sods pose? Are they even human enough to be treatable with the same medications? Would the fleshknitter work on them?

For the most part they're the same. Tougher,generally harder to kill but they're not SPASSMARINES they're not filled with redundant organs or special systems to keep'em alive. We just make more. They're storm troopers.

You treat em like anyone else: 1 part good medicine, 9 parts malpractice.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 31, 2014, 03:54:23 pm »

forget what I was doing and exit VR.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 02, 2014, 01:35:47 pm »

Basic concept check: a Gauss Rifle that shoots smaller slugs at a faster rate-of-fire than a normal Gauss Rifle. Are there any major technical hurdles?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: November 02, 2014, 03:44:10 pm »

Basic concept check: a Gauss Rifle that shoots smaller slugs at a faster rate-of-fire than a normal Gauss Rifle. Are there any major technical hurdles?

((Capacitors. From how I recall ER-tek Gauss Rifles (and real life ones, too) work, you have a small generator feeding a capacitor bank constantly, which discharges all at once when you fire, then starts recharging (usually fast enough to fire again in just a few moments). For example, the Sibilus, which is essentially a Gauss Rifle firing smaller rocket-propelled slugs with the capacity for burst-fire, has, I believe, three capacitor arrays.))
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 03:46:06 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 02, 2014, 05:13:06 pm »

((As I recall, the Sibilus has so many capacitors because it fires the rockets at a similar force to gauss rifles, despite their smaller size.  There's no problem with smaller rounds, although there's probably some small issues with inefficiency- larger rounds are cheaper by weight, and making more complex mechanisms for a higher fire rate would cost more too.

Hapah, I've had two ideas for a smaller caliber gauss automatic, ever since the Testament was nerfed.  First, an FN P90 shaped SMG that fires a 9x39mm projectile at subsonic velocities (which effectively makes it suppressed).  A 9x39mm projectile has similar dimensions to a full 5.7x28mm cartridge, is designed for subsonic velocites, and maintains excellent accuracy and armor piercing capability at those velocities.  Of course, it'd effectively be a hollowpoint, considering light body armor in ER stops 20mm rounds, and it would do less damage since real 9x39 is primarily lead, and this would be a lighter material since it needs to be magnetic.  Also, you'd have to fit gauss coils inside the P90's frame, which might not be possible.

The second, more realistic idea, is basically a gauss LSW.  Make it 5.56, and assuming ER 20mm has similar dimensions to real life 20mm, you could get 250 round magazines for the same material cost as the gauss rifle mags.  It has the same problems as the above idea though, and doesn't even have the advantage of being silenced.  And it would probably cost three tokens, one less than the Testament, which has absurd AP ability, and only somewhat worse ammo economy.

That was probably more information than anyone wanted, but there you go.  Anyways, I'd suggest you not even look into low caliber gauss weapons, except maybe for use as SMGs.  Lasers are basically entirely superior.))
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 127