Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 225377 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #630 on: June 10, 2014, 11:01:58 am »

Any problems other than that it can't work in vacuum?
((Well, for one sonar isn't going to work (or rather it'll interfere), and the sand from the bags we manufacture can't be disengaged once formed into a shape. So if you form armor out of it, it'll solidify around you like a sarcophagus.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 10, 2014, 12:45:37 pm »

Have design be sent to Hept for testing. Then leave tinker and enter mission replay.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 10, 2014, 01:49:09 pm »

I know I'm on mission, but just to save some time later, I have a few things I'd like to test.

Looking at the three-edged monoatomic sword concept, would the top/stabbing blade be effective against sods? How big a target would I have to reach before I can't effectively stab anymore? Assume a blade that fits on top of the two side monorazor frames, with sharpened corners.

Finally, can I get a price-check on this idea?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 11, 2014, 09:18:21 am »

Jump back into tinker and load my Gauss Piledrivertm

Explore the possibility of retaining gauss rifle functionality without increasing the price by allowing the trigger plate to be rotated and locked in place above the barrel or by moving the barrel above the piston and reshaping the coils as necessary.

How are gauss coils configured anyway?
Are they a single big coil wrapped around the barrel or are they multiple coils operating on the sides of the barrel that work together to push the round along?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #634 on: June 12, 2014, 09:55:30 am »

Ah, I see. I was trying the reverse tinker procedure of trying to see what I could get and then building off of that towards my goal. Let me try the normal tinker procedure: Stating my goal and then looking for equipment to achieve it.

Project name: One-eyed King (O.K.)
Sub-project name: Sandman's shroud

Take an exoskeleton. Put two sandbags on it. Then have the bags' sand be computer controlled (should be possible since it already is in a way).

There are three dials, an on/off switch and an emergency trigger.
Once the system is turned on, the sand will exit the bags and begin circling around the user. When turned off, it will return to the user's bags. Sensors will ensure that the sand keeps a small but safe distance from the user, so that he doesn't get hurt.

One dial controls how fast the sand is rotating, one controls the distance from the user and one controls the density of the sand cloud (how close the sand particles are to each other).

The emergency trigger causes some of the sand around the user to fly towards the exoskeleton and then solidify a short distance from it to form armour. (Not too short though, don't want to entomb the exoskeleton. Think of it as spaced armour.) The longer the trigger is pressed, the more sand is used to form the armour and the thicker it gets.
(This would work better if it was automated but I'm keeping it manual for now.)

Spawn the above system and search through sensors until I find something that can see through the sand cloud.
Would sonar work? Or a combination of different sensors? Or sensor pods further away from the exoskeleton, like eye stalks?

Then test the result against sods with laser and gauss rifles.
Is unhardened sand effective protection against those weapons?
What about hardened?
Is it effective in reducing visibility of the enemy?
Is the sand effective at killing sods or at least blinding them long enough for the suit to close in and kill them?
Any problems other than that it can't work in vacuum?

ehhhhhhhhhh.

EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Nah. I don't really want to just let you control the stuff with no rolls.

Have design be sent to Hept for testing. Then leave tinker and enter mission replay.
Okie dokie. That would be back on ship.

I know I'm on mission, but just to save some time later, I have a few things I'd like to test.

Looking at the three-edged monoatomic sword concept, would the top/stabbing blade be effective against sods? How big a target would I have to reach before I can't effectively stab anymore? Assume a blade that fits on top of the two side monorazor frames, with sharpened corners.

Finally, can I get a price-check on this idea?

NOPE NOPE NOPE

I ALLOW THIS EVERYONE WILL BE DESIGNING SHIT WHILE ANYWHERE.

NO NO NO.

It's the multiple coils one.

And yeah, thats possible but it's gonna have rather shit aim.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #635 on: June 12, 2014, 11:03:07 am »

((Damn. I really thought I had designed something good there. Oh well, I'll find something else to e-mail to Simus.))

Create 5 civic defender's longcoats.
One is normal, one has the ablative anti-laser paint, one has solid sand scales, one has a coating of sand and one has scales made of that energy absorbent material from the anomalous planetoid mission (if it is available on VR).

Test the 5 against lasers and gauss rifles. Which one's the most effective? Any problems (too heavy, etc.)?

Civic defender's longcoat is 3 tokens. Civic defender's longcoat with ablative anti-laser paint is 5 tokens. Are the other modified longcoats as cheap?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 14, 2014, 11:23:49 am »

How small could tavik his new mech design (the blue gender one) be made? Assuming cost stays the same and with the same capabilities, what's the minimum height it could be?

Secondly, assuming one is willing to increase the price, what is the absolute minimum size the suit would be (retaining all functionality).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #637 on: June 14, 2014, 11:37:41 am »

((Damn. I really thought I had designed something good there. Oh well, I'll find something else to e-mail to Simus.))

Create 5 civic defender's longcoats.
One is normal, one has the ablative anti-laser paint, one has solid sand scales, one has a coating of sand and one has scales made of that energy absorbent material from the anomalous planetoid mission (if it is available on VR).

Test the 5 against lasers and gauss rifles. Which one's the most effective? Any problems (too heavy, etc.)?

Civic defender's longcoat is 3 tokens. Civic defender's longcoat with ablative anti-laser paint is 5 tokens. Are the other modified longcoats as cheap?

A coating of living sand is gonna do grrrrrrrreat against lasers.

And that hexagonal stuff from the planetoid is gonna be best against the gauss

The sand grows when exposed to the light, so that might cause problems in the long run.
The hex stuff is pretty heavy, though not stupidly so. Just enough that it might effect normal people.

Oh, you could shrink the legs, move the sensors to the chest, and it could get to 8 feet or so.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 14, 2014, 11:53:55 am »

Deleted, was mistaken.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:40:30 pm by Radio Controlled »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 14, 2014, 12:21:45 pm »

How small could tavik his new mech design (the blue gender one) be made? Assuming cost stays the same and with the same capabilities, what's the minimum height it could be?

Secondly, assuming one is willing to increase the price, what is the absolute minimum size the suit would be (retaining all functionality).

Missed me I think.
He replied, but skipped the quote. Look at the last line in his post.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 14, 2014, 12:39:39 pm »

Missed me I think.

Oh yeah, somehow I thought that was part of Paris' action. Thanks.

Anyways, we can now safely assume the suit could be downsized by a third without losing anything, as by the gm's words. That would bring it just below a battlesuit I think.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 14, 2014, 02:01:59 pm »

Missed me I think.

Oh yeah, somehow I thought that was part of Paris' action. Thanks.

Anyways, we can now safely assume the suit could be downsized by a third without losing anything, as by the gm's words. That would bring it just below a battlesuit I think.

That's... actually what I said when I discussed it with Tavik.

Tavik, try 7-8 feet.
7-8 feet sounds like a large exosuit. Battlesuit seems fine with 10.

He's trying to make something cheaper, lighter, and faster than the battlesuit - so 'large exosuit' size range is perfect for it.
It's still possible to make a cheaper, lighter, and faster battlesuit by still keeping the battlesuit and making it cheaper, lighter, and faster. Reducing the size will mean a lot less space remains for the suit's workings because of the pilot.
Pretty much this.

Going by what Tavik posted he wants (though I'm interested in what his 'Auto Repair Kit' consists of), 7-8 feet is more than enough space. And, keep in mind - if you have it battlesuit-sized, then you have to deal with the fact that you have a battlesuit-sized target with nowhere near battlesuit-scale protection.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 14, 2014, 02:05:05 pm »

Indeed you did, good job. I just asked so that we now have hard, conclusive proof that the suit could be downsized without loosing anything whatsoever. Just wanted to move this out of speculation and into hard data territory. 

Nevertheless, good analysis, since it's exactly what the gm says as well.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 14, 2014, 02:08:29 pm »

Indeed you did, good job. I just asked so that we now have hard, conclusive proof that the suit could be downsized without loosing anything whatsoever. Just wanted to move this out of speculation and into hard data territory. 

Nevertheless, good analysis, since it's exactly what the gm says as well.

I'd point out that I got yelled at for it (admittedly, not by Tavik), but that got scrubbed by the Toad.

And I'm still wondering about that 'auto repair kit'. If nobody clarifies that, I would bet that the GM will take it to mean a stripped-down advanced emergency kit with the medical equipment removed (auto, repair kit), rather than what I think some people might think it means (auto repair, kit).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 02:16:31 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 14, 2014, 02:33:55 pm »

Sent Smurf a PM asking them to explain what the Auto Repair kit is exactly once they come online.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 127