Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 224931 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: TINKER
« Reply #405 on: May 19, 2014, 09:21:15 am »

Start writing a new program for the MKIII, called the Aim-Bot

Basic Goal: Use the MKIII and AUX skill to aid in aiming CON weapons

Basic Features: After calibrating with a CON weapon (likely by firing the weapon a few times at a target), displays an accurate targeting reticule for that weapon. Possibly basic range-finding
             Passive? Gives a sort of weak failure protection (can still roll poorly and miss, but cannot cause friendly fire in most cases. As in, I could still shoot someone behind or in front of my target, but not someone to my left)

Advanced Features: After calibration, User can select a target. The program will then use the MKIII Exoskeleton to aim and steady the weapon at the target.
             Activated AUX roll to use, gives some bonus to firing. (I can think of a lot of applicable bonus's, not sure which one you'd go for. Range bonus, aiming bonus, general CON bonus, dynamic bonus, AUX-replace-CON, etc. Not sure which one or at what power you feel is balanced.)

Main (intended) Downside: Requires per-weapon calibration to function. The program will not work immediately with any CON weapon, it needs to be calibrated for a specific weapon. Maybe you have different ideas about the calibration, PW, my thought was that it would require firing the weapon a few times at a few different ranges, but could potentially involve studying the weapon carefully and manually calibrating the system. (Handi + Aux roll? Or Con + Aux?) It could also be limited in how many weapons it can be calibrated for at once

So basically functionally like unholy's hardpoint except using the MKIII exoskeleton?

Now that the chem mix is ok, try to modify the namite launcher to also accept sticky foam canisters. The sticky foam canisters would hold both solutions, in separate compartments. They mix inside a small mixing chamber in the container, start expanding a few meters out of the nozzle.
(Doing it like this so that one could have 1 launcher for multiple kinds of ammo).

In fact, try to change the namite thrower so that it can easily accept different kinds of containers.

If needed, ask Pancaek for help and/or permission.

Exactly how does the namite thrower work now? How does it throw it's payload? Is it the same as a flamethrower which has pressurized tanks of the substance? Since I don't think that will work for the foam...At least I don't think so...Hmm.

Translocator/Blink module:

Three automanipulators: 2 of the vector(or kinetic, whichever is best) kind and one of the electctromagnetic kind.
The two vector manipulators are positioned in an armoured sphere and can move to point anywhere inside it.

It works like this: 1 vector automanip speeds you up to as fast as possible (a fraction of c) and the other applies the same effect in the opposite direction. The electromangetic automanip nullifies all outside electrical and magnetic forces in the area the user occupies from the time the first vector automanip is activated, to the time the second is activated (or a set amount of time if variable operation time is not possible). Since that time should be presumably short, it should have little adverse effects for the user.

This should allow someone to be transported almost instantaneously between two locations, even through walls, provided the material the wall is made of isn't very dense (since atoms are mostly empty space and without electrical forces there's only the weak and strong nuclear forces that can have any sort of effect). The distance moved can be controlled by the delay between activation of the second automanip. It can also be used to alter one's speed by positioning the two vector automanipulators at an angle.

Is this possible? If yes, cost and danger of operation?

I'm willing to explain further or make a small drawing of how it would work if necessary.

Can I get a picture? It sounds interesting although I can basically already tell you it is gonna be very very costly.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 19, 2014, 09:36:12 am »

Exactly how does the namite thrower work now? How does it throw it's payload? Is it the same as a flamethrower which has pressurized tanks of the substance? Since I don't think that will work for the foam...At least I don't think so...Hmm.

Yes, as far as I'm aware it works like a flamethrower. Why would that not work for the foam? Remember, until it start crosslinking it's just a fluid, and it only really gets going once it's a few meters or so outside the nozzle.

Also, make sure the thrower is calibrated to empty it's tubing with each shot, to prevent foam clogging it.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 19, 2014, 09:41:43 am »

New gauss ammo type.
2 part. In front, there will be a saboted steel flechette designed to pierce through light armour.
Behind that, there will be a Steel canister of maldavian mind rot. The canister will be designed to break open upon impact, getting several drops of mind rot in the wound.
This should be cheap, because mind rot is free at the armoury. It sould be highly effective against organic targets, because a single shot anywhere in the body will instantly incapacitate them.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 19, 2014, 09:48:17 am »

New gauss ammo type.
2 part. In front, there will be a saboted steel flechette designed to pierce through light armour.
Behind that, there will be a Steel canister of maldavian mind rot. The canister will be designed to break open upon impact, getting several drops of mind rot in the wound.
This should be cheap, because mind rot is free at the armoury. It sould be highly effective against organic targets, because a single shot anywhere in the body will instantly incapacitate them.

Not to undermine the effectiveness of the proposed round, but I see a sort of a problem. Namely, a regular gauss rifle shot anywhere to the body should already quite severely incapacitate the target if it penetrates. It might be more useful for the civilian gauss rifles though, since those have damage more resembling that of conventional firearms.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 19, 2014, 09:48:41 am »

Also, it's probably a war crime, but who cares about that, right?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 19, 2014, 09:50:51 am »

I don't think it'd be any different from animal control tranquilizer darts, except in physical damage delivered. So probably no on the war crime.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 19, 2014, 09:57:59 am »

New plan:

Step 1: invent gauss tranquilizer darts.
Step 2: distill magic space pills in tranquilizer fluid.
Step 3: shoot someone.
Step 4: laugh at sleeping turkey fish man.
Step 5: loot all the things
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 19, 2014, 10:03:00 am »

Wouldn't gas grenades be more effective?  Pretty much all the opposition we've faced hasn't been suited.

(And if it's suited it's probably not civilian)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 19, 2014, 10:42:20 am »

I've been watching too much Stargate recently, so one of my future "nonlethal dispatch" weapons is going to be a scaled-down Plasma Projector firing little clouds of electrons, or some form of highly electrically charged plasma, instead of the usual giant globules of superheated plasma. Should theoretically maintain effectiveness against insulated targets - the magnetic containment will carry the charged medium through the nonconductive layers until it has somewhere to discharge into.

Of course, it's going to be one of those "potentially nonlethal" weapons again...

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 19, 2014, 01:58:26 pm »

So basically functionally like unholy's hardpoint except using the MKIII exoskeleton?

Yes, essentially. Just wanted to give you room to use a different bonus if you so desired.

(( Personally, I think the hard-point being straight CON to AUX is a bit... I don't know, feels a little unbalanced? Maybe it's just particularly unbalanced for us Fleshtechs, who would otherwise have an extra -1 in CON, meaning CON to AUX is essentially a gain of over 18 points in CON. I guess you feel the inflexibility of having to swap out the weapon manually and it being a worthless brick if the hardpoint is disabled is sufficient downside? ))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 19, 2014, 02:07:57 pm »

Wouldn't it also mean you can't swap it mid-mission?

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 19, 2014, 02:30:37 pm »

(( You could, but I imagine it would require a handi roll and probably some help, since you probably can't access it with both hands. Conceivably, if it is a more flexibly designed system, there's actually an eject button that would let you take a turn to disconnect and reconnect without a roll, but you can still only have one weapon on the hardpoint, and switching in battle is likely dangerous. That's just the only downside I see, which seems minor when you consider how much benefit Fleshtechs get from it :P ))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 19, 2014, 02:51:13 pm »

(( You could, but I imagine it would require a handi roll and probably some help, since you probably can't access it with both hands. Conceivably, if it is a more flexibly designed system, there's actually an eject button that would let you take a turn to disconnect and reconnect without a roll, but you can still only have one weapon on the hardpoint, and switching in battle is likely dangerous. That's just the only downside I see, which seems minor when you consider how much benefit Fleshtechs get from it :P ))
I'd imagine you'd get a penalty to Aux and Handi with that thing attached. Forget weight, how are you going to manipulate a keyboard with a three-foot metal brick strapped to your forearm?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 19, 2014, 03:40:24 pm »

I'd imagine you'd get a penalty to Aux and Handi with that thing attached. Forget weight, how are you going to manipulate a keyboard with a three-foot metal brick strapped to your forearm?

If you're a robot you can send texts with your mind at the speed of thought.  And as Kri is pointing out, you don't need a three-foot brick attached to your arm- just an exoskeleton or robobody.

Frankly, Saint was created with the plan of using AUX to devalue all other stats.  I'm am flatly amazed at the fact PW is basically saying "yeah sure" to stuff like Kri's action.  I've been figuring he'd go "Well, makes some sense, but it's completely unbalanced so no.", so I've pretty much been trying to tip-toe into it sideways.

But seriously.  I already have a program that entirely devalues stats for melee combat.  Apparently it's easy to make a con devaluer.  Saint effectively has a +2 to more stats than most people, and will only need a single decomp.  That's more OP than I ever thought I'd be allowed to do.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 19, 2014, 03:48:48 pm »

Exaaaactly, which is why I'm trying to give him an in on limiting that a bit, by adjusting how this bonus works. Though I do like the idea of a handi and aux penalty to *other* things while wearing a gun on your arm. Ignoring weight concerns, which could be eliminated by strength or a exoskeleton, the thing should get in your way and be generally cumbersome to work around XD
It also wouldn't be a concern with my program, since it isn't welded to my hand or anything. Anything that nerfs competing systems :P

He's made it pretty clear that there's no getting around Uncon on manips, though potentially you could bypass other things (it seems that you should be able to arm nukes with AUX, for example :P ), and exo is probably just beyond the computer capability to understand (assuming there aren't some Exo parts mixed into it, in which case the computer itself is probably beyond  *our* ability to understand it)

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 127