Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 225414 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2014, 10:32:05 pm »

We REALLY need to do some science on Grate.
I mean think about it, if we could give his quantum immortality to OUR TITAN....
I'm pretty sure that was a nigh-impossible-to-reproduce event. Like the weird hard-water-and-lightning accident that made The (first) Flash. Or the gamma bomb that made the Hulk.

But if we can reproduce it...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2014, 10:39:46 pm »

((Could get STEPHEN HAWKING to try something))
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2014, 11:09:50 pm »

I'm starting to think that Grate is only gonna get 9.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2014, 11:16:32 pm »

I'd hope piecewise came up with something a bit more creative...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2014, 11:29:01 pm »

Im thinking every time grate dies stephen loses some life force or something, eventually hes gonna die and/or run out and grates gonna stay dead.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2014, 11:30:32 pm »

((What if Grate became "entangled" with something else? Quantum computers cease working if their superpositions get entangled with an external factor after all...))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2014, 11:49:59 pm »

Alright, no more Twister for Grate.
Sig

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2014, 12:25:05 am »

((Sean, you can use whatever, just so long as you're not spawning complete weapons at cutting laser level and up. And I'm not working on the engineering challenge.))

I'm basing this thing on a design that uses it for propulsion (kind of like an Orion, but the detonation occurs at the throat of a magnetic nozzel and the fusion products and lithium are the reaction mass) - with a recycle rate of 14 seconds per pulse. And there's actually not that much fusion fuel to ionize - the lithium (actually, now I've read a study or two more... aluminium is better, swap that in instead) combined with the theta pinch (what I was reading for info was wrong, it's not a z-pinch, but a theta pinch that compresses the metal liner around the fuel) is what does most of the work - and scaling up the power of the device is done, it seems, by making the liner more massive (makes sense, I suppose - the fusion fuel ends up being crushed even more with the additional mass).

Though if it's really that much of an issue, we could swap fuels to a mix with a lower Lawson Criterion (deuterium-tritium, perhaps), since if less energy is required to set off the bomb but the energy from compression remains the same, then it should require less energy given to the fuel by radio excitation.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:52:17 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2014, 01:43:44 am »

Follow'd

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2014, 01:58:10 am »

((Sean, you can use whatever, just so long as you're not spawning complete weapons at cutting laser level and up. And I'm not working on the engineering challenge.))

I'm basing this thing on a design that uses it for propulsion (kind of like an Orion, but the detonation occurs at the throat of a magnetic nozzel and the fusion products and lithium are the reaction mass) - with a recycle rate of 14 seconds per pulse. And there's actually not that much fusion fuel to ionize - the lithium (actually, now I've read a study or two more... aluminium is better, swap that in instead) combined with the theta pinch (what I was reading for info was wrong, it's not a z-pinch, but a theta pinch that compresses the metal liner around the fuel) is what does most of the work - and scaling up the power of the device is done, it seems, by making the liner more massive (makes sense, I suppose - the fusion fuel ends up being crushed even more with the additional mass).

Though if it's really that much of an issue, we could swap fuels to a mix with a lower Lawson Criterion (deuterium-tritium, perhaps), since if less energy is required to set off the bomb but the energy from compression remains the same, then it should require less energy given to the fuel by radio excitation.

I think the core of the issue here is that you need quite a lot of energy to start the reaction regardless. Part through magnetic compression, part through radio excitation, but still a lot of energy. That you get a whole lot more back is obvious, but you need that starting spark, and that means a very high-density power cell, like the ones in the Black Death.

The entire device ends up being the aluminum fusion fuel canister surrounded by magnetic coils, plus radio antenna, plus power cell, arranged in a cylinder to be put into a missile, with the fusion canister up front. Only thing I can't say is how much energy needs to be delivered, so as to see how large the cell will need to be.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 02:02:20 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2014, 09:13:13 am »

Hey.
Guys.
How big is an automanip?
Sig

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2014, 09:17:04 am »

diminutive, but not fine, nor tiny, if you want dnd terms and my memory of the progression is correct.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2014, 09:55:38 am »

So, several inches?
Mortar shell or something it is, I guess.
Spoiler: The Grate Shell (click to show/hide)
Grate attempts to make the aforedescribed weapon for his Simus project, without destroying his virtual self.
Sig

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2014, 10:09:53 am »

While not a particularly bad idea, I see two issues with that.  Maybe three.

First, it's got such a low blast radius.  If it's fired from a mortar, it's really only useful against a target that's entirely stationary for long periods of time- mortars have a long travel time, and are fairly innaccurate.

Second, it's probably reaally expensive.  Matter conversion manips are just plain expensive without needing to be automated, an automated one's gonna cost more than twenty tokens, not even factoring in the launcher or casing or anything.

(Maybe) Third, I think automanips are decently fragile.  Even with padding, you might need an inertia dampening manip just to make it survive the trip.  And then you'd have a mortar round that costs more than an Avatar of War.

Plus, you could always just fire a traditional mortar round.  It does require a direct hit anyways, so just a solid slug of metal should be able to take out a battlesuit.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2014, 10:13:30 am »

While not a particularly bad idea, I see two issues with that.  Maybe three.

First, it's got such a low blast radius.  If it's fired from a mortar, it's really only useful against a target that's entirely stationary for long periods of time- mortars have a long travel time, and are fairly innaccurate.
True. I could set it higher, but I'm worried about excessive collateral damage and remembering that the AM at one point said that that's about the ideal size for amp stuff.
It's not like that that's the hardest thing to change.

Second, it's probably reaally expensive.  Matter conversion manips are just plain expensive without needing to be automated, an automated one's gonna cost more than twenty tokens, not even factoring in the launcher or casing or anything.
Wait, there was a 20-token budget? I missed that. Well, I might need to change the concept. Although this should work pretty well as an anti-armor round, neh? Up the radius a bit and it's great against starships (not enough to eat the whole starship, but enough to cut through both walls of the room?).
Thankfully, everything except the automanip should be pretty cheap.

(Maybe) Third, I think automanips are decently fragile.  Even with padding, you might need an inertia dampening manip just to make it survive the trip.  And then you'd have a mortar round that costs more than an Avatar of War.
I certainly hope I don't need all that.

Plus, you could always just fire a traditional mortar round.  It does require a direct hit anyways, so just a solid slug of metal should be able to take out a battlesuit.
...If it did, wouldn't this be pretty pointless as an exercise?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 127