Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 225074 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #480 on: May 26, 2014, 11:35:27 am »

@U_P: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering_iron

This might be easier way to get that.
Soldering iron =/= laser sword
I dunno man, you ever been hit with one? Feels about the same.

Otherwise you'd see a rather radical change in the personality of the subject placed in the body. You can turn them off manually though, if you want. Though doing so may have unforeseen effects.

Can they be otherwise tampered with?  For example, extra adrenaline, trigger a rush of dopamine, oxytocin to feel pleasure, etc.
Yes.

(In before Lars becomes a highly religious, pro weapon, oxy addict. It will be like having rush limbaugh as an inmate....
Now I want to make a character that does nothing but speak in Limbaugh quotes. Though He'd probably get shot fairly fast. )

Eh, no problem, that's fine. It was a cool idea anyways :P. Plus, if I ever get a cannon, I can just adapt the Mjolnir shell to it.

True.

Really, it's probably best to get a mission under your belt before you start tinkering up weapons. Not sure if you know what happened to Bishop, but his situation is the perfect cautionary tale for such things.

Bring Halberd Mech design back up.
Gonna have to kick the computers' memory bank a bit here, if you catch my drift.

replace the monofilament with a vibranium wire of equal size shaped like a gladius blade.
Vibrate the entire blade section instead of the wire itself.

Seems to me that a material that near instantly snaps back into its original shape would be perfect for a shaped monorazor.
Should be cheap too because youd only need like an Australian 5 cent piece worth of metamaterials.

new seperate project

Spawn a thin fibre obtic cable with a temperature threshold of 4000° Celsius or more.
Spawn a temperature resistant cable holder to hold the wire in a rounded rectangle shape where it feeds back into itself to form an infiniteloop but maintains a distinct laser seeding segment.
Spawn a laser rifle emmitter with no focusing lenses to serve as the hilt and feed its "beam" into the fibre optics seeding segment.
Place a thermostat in the crosspiece and connect it to the laser emmitter to regulate energy flowand coat the top of the crosspiece in that laser absorbing crystal to prevent heat reaching the hilt.
Run a power cable from the laser emmitter designed to connect easily to suit reactors.

Basic idea is that the light from the laser emmitter collects inside the fibre optics and heats it to 3500 degrees and is held at that temperature by the thermostat, then when you hit stuff with the cable it melts right through the target, or your leg if you screw up horribly.
Wait, how are you vibrating the entire blade...yet only using a small amount of material?

Also that...I don't have any real knowledge when it comes to physics but something about that seems deeply wrong. Also inefficiently expensive and complex for what it does.

What's vibranium anyway? Searching the board reveals nothing.
What Captain America's shield is made out of? I think he's referring to metamaterials of some sort, though. I'm not sure.

Piecewise, if I were to attach a sword point to a monoatomic razor, would the filament go to work on the stab just because of proximity, or would I have to move it once it's in the wound? Also, would makng a three-sided monoatomic blade allow me to 'stab' with the front filament?
The vibration only effects the wire. Otherwise the thing would buzz right out of your hand.

Yes, that could work, having a Square shaped blade with a flat "stabbing" point on the end.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER
« Reply #481 on: May 26, 2014, 11:41:29 am »

I'M IN TINKER AGAIN

WHY AM I IN TINKER AGAIN

Work in progress.

"Halberd"Rapid Battle Unit
Armour: Electro Reactive Armour
Height: Around 16 ft (how many meters is that?) tall for most configurations.
Weapons: 1 Coilgun or equivalent rapid fire weapon along with a choice of either a under barrel rocket launcher or a bayonet type weapon. 1 mech scale dagger or sword type weapon for melee. 2x shoulder blades as well. 1 optional wrist mounted shield made of battle suit plate.

Movement: Roller blade style system mounted on feet to allow for quick movement across most surfaces with ability to be stowed inside the feet to allow for movement on rougher surfaces such as a wreckage strewn fields or mountains.
Cargo: 1 Pilot and/or AI controlled.
Support: Auto repair kit.

Operation: This configuration is designed to rapidly engage enemy forces while being supported by other Halberds and other friendly units including infantry and air support. And if equipped with a under barrel rocket launcher, it can engage enemy armour units if it has to.

Advantages: Speed, adaptability and same basic parts used in all configuration.
Disadvantages: not as heavily armoured as units such as a battlesuit.

What do you think Piecewise, is there anything you think I should add or change?
Look at you throwing around the Armor shrikes and Double edges like I don't have the box set of Blue gender on my shelf AT THIS VERY DAMN MOMENT.

So wha, you wanna make a double edge, but one that doesn't make you go kill crazy? Seems reasonable. Hell, they're one of the few mechs that are really sorta realistic in anime. Reasonable size, move quickly using wheels instead of running, etc.

How many tokens would it cost with the normal weapons? And how much would each weapon or option like the double blades cost if the characters decided to change the weapons? And how much would something more like the Armour shrikes before the Double Edge appeared?
Probably something like 15 tokens for the whole thing, with weapons and such. Because they're not terribly complex, kinda like a light battlesuit but with less options. Weapons, at least the normal guns, would all cost about the same. Think..5 tokens.
This.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 26, 2014, 11:43:57 am »

I don't think it'd be any different from animal control tranquilizer darts, except in physical damage delivered. So probably no on the war crime.
Depends on if Maldavian mind rot is considered a WMD.

I'm saying it devalues stats gained by mundane people like Lars and Milno.
Lars fights by will of the gods!  He's more like a Paladin, really... though he's about to take a level in Psionicist.
Wait, what?

If my calculations are correct an electron goes about 2km/s when orbiting a proton.
I remember reading that if electrons really did orbit protons in a conventional sense, the moving electrical charge would cause a release of...something, I forget what, causing the electron to lose energy and crash into the proton in a tiny fraction of a second. So that number might be meaningless.

You also have the problem that heat from firing might just boil the booze.
I chatted with a firearms expert I know, and he said it was doable. He said it depends on how much was getting heated up, but unless it managed to make the alcohol reach its flash point, it would be fine. He compared it to incendiary rounds, in case that helps.
When I explained the situation, he pointed out that is might be pointless. How potent is a few grams of mind rot, anyways?

Three, You talk about the electromagnetic amp for the purposes of self protection, but I fail to see how it will protect you from being pulverized into subatomic shrapnel when you jerk your body forward at significant values of c, or just c.
They say that it's the sudden stop at the end that kills you, but they're wrong. What kills you is that all of you doesn't stop at the same time.
Your feet stop first, but your knees are still moving. If your shins can absorb the force, great; if not, you've got broken legs. Perhaps more importantly, when your skull stops moving, your brain hasn't stopped yet, so it bangs into the skull. I could go on, but the sum total of it is that if you accelerate all your bits and pieces an equal amount at the same time you'll be fine. Of course, at those speeds uneven rounding errors could be fatal, but aside from stuff like that, it'll be good.

Fourth, ignoring all the others, even if they all worked, you're accelerating to c and then back to 0 in HOW MANY METERS?! I'm no physicist  but I'm pretty sure that much energy would kill you  and everyone around you for several miles with just the shockwave.
Unless manips follow Newton's 3rd Law of Motion, it'll be fine.
Presumably, vector manips move material...um...they move stuff without needing to move anything in the opposite direction. Hence, the only thing that could cause issues from that is the stuff actually being accelerated...which can't actually collide with anything, since their electromagnetism is turned off.

The weapons we have, have a certain series of flaws, or perhaps one big flaw - they are too specialized. A gauss rifle, once you choose it, is good for exactly one thing - punching a hole in the thing you point it at. It's really good for it, as long as there's only the one thing - the refire delay means that you can't engage multiple rapidly approaching targets with it, and the shot power means that if you're threatened by something numerous and unarmored - like if Xan decides to flood the universe with Xanlings - then you're wasting your limited ammo on massive overkill of single targets. Conversely, the laser rifle is great for sweeping the beam around and killing little things, but it takes a longer, more concentrated and more accurate attack to kill something big with it. The designs I thought of try to address those two points, giving the weapons more versatility so that if a soldier has only one type of weapon, he is less screwed if he encounters a situation his weapon is not intended for. While, hopefully, staying cheap enough for mass production.
That is a bit of a problem. Brings a new level of meaning to phrases like "general-purpose machine gun," doesn't it?
And that video is exactly what I was thinking of when I was reading that. Good ol' Bert.

They are rather more like swiss army chainsaw-chucks.
Yeah, that is correct.  Still, they're being compared to simple daggers.  I'm more affraid of the perfect master of the SWC-C than the perfect master of a dagger.
So am I. That would be a good thing if I wasn't on the same team as them.
Space magic has its own downsides. Conventional weapons might not be able to damage a given enemy efficiently; space magic probably can, but it's a lot more reliant on luck. Too low and you'll do nothing except give yourself a crippling headache (something that you can't do with a gun), too high and you'll have people trying to fit a 9 to your situation.

Otherwise you'd see a rather radical change in the personality of the subject placed in the body.
Given the kind of people we're talking about, this is a bad thing?

Indeed, but the principle behind a soldering iron might mean you can get a stretch of 'wire/cable' incredibly hot in an easier way. That's what you're trying to get, right? A stretch of very hot material to slice through things? Or is the usage of lasers absolutely critical to you?  :P
Of course it is! Lasers make everything cooler! (Except the stuff they heat up to extreme temperatures.)

Alright. Just for fun, let's see if I can design some things I saw online. Unless piecewise rejects this kind of thing because it takes up too much time.
Let's start simple.

Design a sort of belt-fed shotgun built into a gauntlet. (The belt should also be covered by part of the gauntlet.) Also design incendiary shotgun shells. I don't know enough about shotguns or incendiary rounds to see anything terribly problematic with that, so that should be sufficient.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 12:44:02 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #483 on: May 26, 2014, 11:52:51 am »

Eh, I'm kinda out of tokens right now, but just to keep it in mind in case I do get some tokens, what kind of battery system could I get with 5 tokens? What kind of effect would it have? Use the data gathered during the defence of Hephaestus to extrapolate how much more  powerful it could make the cannon.

Also, would it be possible to bend a monoatomic razor's wire with centrifugal force or would the wire not be taut enough to vibrate and cut stuff?
I was thinking of having something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Where the red is the monowire and the blue is the thing that makes it spin.
Missed me.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 26, 2014, 04:39:31 pm »

Based on what GWG said in this thread about the booze not boiling when shot out of a gun, and what Paris said in the OOC thread about liquid mercury bullets successfully poisoning people, I think the mind rot bullets would work.

How many grams of mind rot can I get for one token?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 26, 2014, 05:38:12 pm »

PW, you missed part of something I had asked. I wanted some details on the Mjolnir's effect on armored targets(I had set up some tests on battlesuits and AoWs before logging off), and the exact area of effect the shockwave cone hits out to. Doesn't matter until I get back to this after the mission, but still something I'd like to know.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 26, 2014, 06:11:27 pm »

the "blade" is the rigid vibranium monofilament, the "blade section" is the non vibranium or vibranium tipped limbs that hold it in place. Hence ill only need a tiny coins worth of metamaterial.

test effectiveness of vibranium wire gladius against varying materials such as steel and battleplate with slashing and stabbing attacks.

Reset laser sword except for the hilt and power lead.
Place flourescent light tube made of bulletproof heat resistant glass on end of hilt.
Place refector dish in top end and reflector ring in bottom end of tube to reflect light away from the sides of the tube and form a photon condenser.
Hit virtual stuff with laser light globe sword of death.

Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 26, 2014, 07:02:12 pm »

Lars fights by will of the gods!  He's more like a Paladin, really... though he's about to take a level in Psionicist.
Wait, what?

15   Organochemistry Overrider Psychokinetic Amplifier
   Ammo:NA
   Range: NA
   Stat requirement: 15 Willpower 12 Charisma
   Description: An upgraded version of the Neural Connector that allows the user to freely manipulate the body chemistry of the target. A boring man would simply stop the target's heart or melt their brain, while a clnver man could hijack an alien's body and pilot it around or even completely rewrite their brains and turn them into passive drones. Feedback with this Amp tends to have rather messy results.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 26, 2014, 09:35:00 pm »

First I've heard of this.

Neat?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #489 on: May 27, 2014, 09:28:41 am »

I'M IN TINKER AGAIN

WHY AM I IN TINKER AGAIN

Work in progress.

"Halberd"Rapid Battle Unit
Armour: Electro Reactive Armour
Height: Around 16 ft (how many meters is that?) tall for most configurations.
Weapons: 1 Coilgun or equivalent rapid fire weapon along with a choice of either a under barrel rocket launcher or a bayonet type weapon. 1 mech scale dagger or sword type weapon for melee. 2x shoulder blades as well. 1 optional wrist mounted shield made of battle suit plate.

Movement: Roller blade style system mounted on feet to allow for quick movement across most surfaces with ability to be stowed inside the feet to allow for movement on rougher surfaces such as a wreckage strewn fields or mountains.
Cargo: 1 Pilot and/or AI controlled.
Support: Auto repair kit.

Operation: This configuration is designed to rapidly engage enemy forces while being supported by other Halberds and other friendly units including infantry and air support. And if equipped with a under barrel rocket launcher, it can engage enemy armour units if it has to.

Advantages: Speed, adaptability and same basic parts used in all configuration.
Disadvantages: not as heavily armoured as units such as a battlesuit.

What do you think Piecewise, is there anything you think I should add or change?
Look at you throwing around the Armor shrikes and Double edges like I don't have the box set of Blue gender on my shelf AT THIS VERY DAMN MOMENT.

So wha, you wanna make a double edge, but one that doesn't make you go kill crazy? Seems reasonable. Hell, they're one of the few mechs that are really sorta realistic in anime. Reasonable size, move quickly using wheels instead of running, etc.

How many tokens would it cost with the normal weapons? And how much would each weapon or option like the double blades cost if the characters decided to change the weapons? And how much would something more like the Armour shrikes before the Double Edge appeared?
Probably something like 15 tokens for the whole thing, with weapons and such. Because they're not terribly complex, kinda like a light battlesuit but with less options. Weapons, at least the normal guns, would all cost about the same. Think..5 tokens.
This.
Gotcha. Alright loaded. Whatcha wanna do with it?

I don't think it'd be any different from animal control tranquilizer darts, except in physical damage delivered. So probably no on the war crime.
Depends on if Maldavian mind rot is considered a WMD.

Wait, what?

If my calculations are correct an electron goes about 2km/s when orbiting a proton.
I remember reading that if electrons really did orbit protons in a conventional sense, the moving electrical charge would cause a release of...something, I forget what, causing the electron to lose energy and crash into the proton in a tiny fraction of a second. So that number might be meaningless.

You also have the problem that heat from firing might just boil the booze.
I chatted with a firearms expert I know, and he said it was doable. He said it depends on how much was getting heated up, but unless it managed to make the alcohol reach its flash point, it would be fine. He compared it to incendiary rounds, in case that helps.
When I explained the situation, he pointed out that is might be pointless. How potent is a few grams of mind rot, anyways?

Three, You talk about the electromagnetic amp for the purposes of self protection, but I fail to see how it will protect you from being pulverized into subatomic shrapnel when you jerk your body forward at significant values of c, or just c.
They say that it's the sudden stop at the end that kills you, but they're wrong. What kills you is that all of you doesn't stop at the same time.
Your feet stop first, but your knees are still moving. If your shins can absorb the force, great; if not, you've got broken legs. Perhaps more importantly, when your skull stops moving, your brain hasn't stopped yet, so it bangs into the skull. I could go on, but the sum total of it is that if you accelerate all your bits and pieces an equal amount at the same time you'll be fine. Of course, at those speeds uneven rounding errors could be fatal, but aside from stuff like that, it'll be good.

Fourth, ignoring all the others, even if they all worked, you're accelerating to c and then back to 0 in HOW MANY METERS?! I'm no physicist  but I'm pretty sure that much energy would kill you  and everyone around you for several miles with just the shockwave.
Unless manips follow Newton's 3rd Law of Motion, it'll be fine.
Presumably, vector manips move material...um...they move stuff without needing to move anything in the opposite direction. Hence, the only thing that could cause issues from that is the stuff actually being accelerated...which can't actually collide with anything, since their electromagnetism is turned off.

The weapons we have, have a certain series of flaws, or perhaps one big flaw - they are too specialized. A gauss rifle, once you choose it, is good for exactly one thing - punching a hole in the thing you point it at. It's really good for it, as long as there's only the one thing - the refire delay means that you can't engage multiple rapidly approaching targets with it, and the shot power means that if you're threatened by something numerous and unarmored - like if Xan decides to flood the universe with Xanlings - then you're wasting your limited ammo on massive overkill of single targets. Conversely, the laser rifle is great for sweeping the beam around and killing little things, but it takes a longer, more concentrated and more accurate attack to kill something big with it. The designs I thought of try to address those two points, giving the weapons more versatility so that if a soldier has only one type of weapon, he is less screwed if he encounters a situation his weapon is not intended for. While, hopefully, staying cheap enough for mass production.
That is a bit of a problem. Brings a new level of meaning to phrases like "general-purpose machine gun," doesn't it?
And that video is exactly what I was thinking of when I was reading that. Good ol' Bert.

They are rather more like swiss army chainsaw-chucks.
Yeah, that is correct.  Still, they're being compared to simple daggers.  I'm more affraid of the perfect master of the SWC-C than the perfect master of a dagger.
So am I. That would be a good thing if I wasn't on the same team as them.
Space magic has its own downsides. Conventional weapons might not be able to damage a given enemy efficiently; space magic probably can, but it's a lot more reliant on luck. Too low and you'll do nothing except give yourself a crippling headache (something that you can't do with a gun), too high and you'll have people trying to fit a 9 to your situation.

Otherwise you'd see a rather radical change in the personality of the subject placed in the body.
Given the kind of people we're talking about, this is a bad thing?

Indeed, but the principle behind a soldering iron might mean you can get a stretch of 'wire/cable' incredibly hot in an easier way. That's what you're trying to get, right? A stretch of very hot material to slice through things? Or is the usage of lasers absolutely critical to you?  :P
Of course it is! Lasers make everything cooler! (Except the stuff they heat up to extreme temperatures.)

Alright. Just for fun, let's see if I can design some things I saw online. Unless piecewise rejects this kind of thing because it takes up too much time.
Let's start simple.

Design a sort of belt-fed shotgun built into a gauntlet. (The belt should also be covered by part of the gauntlet.) Also design incendiary shotgun shells. I don't know enough about shotguns or incendiary rounds to see anything terribly problematic with that, so that should be sufficient.
I see gwg is catching up on lost time.

HEY GWG, GO DESIGN THIS ON HEPHAESTUS. YOU HAVE AN ENTIRE PLANET TO USE.

Eh, I'm kinda out of tokens right now, but just to keep it in mind in case I do get some tokens, what kind of battery system could I get with 5 tokens? What kind of effect would it have? Use the data gathered during the defence of Hephaestus to extrapolate how much more  powerful it could make the cannon.

Also, would it be possible to bend a monoatomic razor's wire with centrifugal force or would the wire not be taut enough to vibrate and cut stuff?
I was thinking of having something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Where the red is the monowire and the blue is the thing that makes it spin.
Missed me.
Five you could probably add 25-50% more power. It would have the effect of more power. You're not sure if it would make the cannon more powerful or simply allow it to fire more without draining the suit.

Well...that idea works in theory of how to arc the wire. But right now the rotation has all the weight on one side, which means the thing is gonna either tear itself apart or jerk you around like the world's biggest rumble pack.

Based on what GWG said in this thread about the booze not boiling when shot out of a gun, and what Paris said in the OOC thread about liquid mercury bullets successfully poisoning people, I think the mind rot bullets would work.

How many grams of mind rot can I get for one token?

Thing is though, Liquid mercury bullets probably got lodged in people and had time to leak out. Gauss bullets tend not to get lodged.

As per the amount you get...I don't have it weighed out. You get a small bottle. The application method is an eyedropper after all.

PW, you missed part of something I had asked. I wanted some details on the Mjolnir's effect on armored targets(I had set up some tests on battlesuits and AoWs before logging off), and the exact area of effect the shockwave cone hits out to. Doesn't matter until I get back to this after the mission, but still something I'd like to know.
Depends on if it hits them (Shockwaves won't have too much an effect on them other then knocking them down) And the area of effect depends on how far you consider it effective. As in, the shockwave lessens in intensity as it heads out, so you have to know the lowest point you're willing to still consider it an effective attack.

the "blade" is the rigid vibranium monofilament, the "blade section" is the non vibranium or vibranium tipped limbs that hold it in place. Hence ill only need a tiny coins worth of metamaterial.

test effectiveness of vibranium wire gladius against varying materials such as steel and battleplate with slashing and stabbing attacks.

Reset laser sword except for the hilt and power lead.
Place flourescent light tube made of bulletproof heat resistant glass on end of hilt.
Place refector dish in top end and reflector ring in bottom end of tube to reflect light away from the sides of the tube and form a photon condenser.
Hit virtual stuff with laser light globe sword of death.

You mind drawing me a picture? Because all the ways I'm trying to visualize it don't work, but I might just be thinking about this the wrong way.

So basically it's one of those long, florescent light bulbs, but really strong and really hot because of the light bouncing around inside it?

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 27, 2014, 09:42:38 am »

See if I can create shoulder mounted rail cannons that can be used in place of the back blades. And also see how one does against a standard UWM squad.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:21:59 am by Tavik Toth »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 27, 2014, 10:04:04 am »

See if I can create shoulder mounted rail cannons that can be used in place of the back blades. And also see how one does against a standard sod squad with gauss rifles.

Now you're just being cruel.  You can beat a bunch of sods with gauss rifles in an unarmed battlesuit, if you know what you're doing.  At least give them equipment that's equal in price to what you have.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 27, 2014, 10:07:02 am »

Pictures... difficult...phone internets... horrible... drawing impossible...

Think of an oscillation grinder like the "renovator multi-tool" but with the cutting tip shaped like a vibranium edged gladius and the blade coming out of the center of the hilt instead of from below it.

As for the cutting blade, imagine an unshaded hand drawn leaf.
The exterior edging is the monofilament, the veins are the wafer thin almost superfluous support struts, the white spaces are air and the stem gets slitted into the oscillator to anchor the blade in place.

Get price check on flourescent death tube and vibranium osvillation gladius, test effectiveness against standard targets and materials.
Yeah, thats the basic gist of my flourescent laser sword, now it just needs to be telescopic and produce visible light.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:00:25 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #493 on: May 27, 2014, 10:38:14 am »

Thanks for the info. Wonder if Steve would let me connect to the Sword's power supply to test that. What's the worse that can happen? 6+2

How about this monoatomic Spinner Staff, Shredder Sword and Slicer Saucer? Would they work?
Assume I'm using the best quality monoatomic wire I can get and a reasonably strong material for the rest of the weapon, with something a bit stronger for the guards and covers. Assume the spinning parts are spinning as fast as possible without there being a danger of breaking.

How does each of those weapons perform against a sod and against a battlesuit? What are their problems? How do they perform in terms of cutting speed and fragility?

Spoiler: Shredder Sword (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spinner Staff (click to show/hide)

Yes, I know it's going to be expensive. But man-usable-monoatomic-sword. Only problem I see is that it will need some Dex and Str to use, because unless I use very expensive materials it's going to be heavy and because of the spinning parts it's going to be resistant to twisting the sword because of angular momentum.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:08:57 am by Parisbre56 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 27, 2014, 05:05:27 pm »

Well, even if my round doesn't affect the armor of a battlesuit very much, I'm pretty damn sure anything that almost instantly flattens one into the ground is still gonna injure the pilot/cause joints and systems to fail.

To answer the question on effectiveness though, I'd first need to know exactly what damage to the battlesuit(BESIDES knocking it down) it does. Assume direct hit to center of mass/cockpit for this. Then, extrapolate out from this calculation to the point where it doesn't do any damage besides maybe shifting the suit a little
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 127