Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 224811 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1650 on: December 28, 2015, 03:57:25 pm »

Is there any way we could weaponize our Newton enraging magic?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1651 on: December 28, 2015, 08:08:08 pm »

Say that the pocket dimension doesn't work on the Sword because you have a jammer active that prevents its activation close to the ship to prevent people from accidentally damaging the ship. Or say that creating pocket dimension generators is hard/dangerous/expensive/impossible so you only have one on the sword and portals can't be created too close to the generator. Or that it doesn't work because of all the other space magic things we have there.

Also, for power creep, you could offer players the option to retire their old characters and start a sort-of new game+, with some extra levels and tokens. That's how I do it on my RTD.

You could make the old characters NPCs. Take them out of the game and have them do things in the background with the possibility of appearing in a future mission or some epic final battle. Kinda like the guy from the Ice-9 mission who was actually an HMRC member on a mission.

Oh, speaking of things happening in the background: Remember how you talked about one of the other HMRC ships infiltrating an asteroid-sized UWM ship? What's going on with the other HMRC teams like that one? Or should I ask these questions when I'm back on ship or in the ER talk page?

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: December 29, 2015, 04:48:53 am »

St. Bernard gurney bot
This will all work, though gunner bots are fairly expensive, even stripped down. Wetware computer and all.
So, what is the procedure now (argh, noobs... ;) )? The Heph OOC guys also showed some interest in it for BLOPS, so could you be more specific, please?
Well, if you're ok with paying 12 tokens for it, then consider it done.
For the whole thing, with both bells and whistles? Definitively. As soon as I have 12 tokens, that is...
Lessons learned: tinkering is worth it, but expensive...
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1653 on: December 30, 2015, 11:41:15 am »

((Oh c'mon pw, using the pocket dimension to travel to the sword was exactly one of the things I warned for in that council pm. It's like you don't even read them (then again, there were a lot of possible exploits in there, so I can see why any particular one would get lost in the sea of hypothetical munchkinnery  :P ).))

So, you wanna veto the gunship shuttle in its entirety? Or only allow it on a select few missions? Or would it be ok if there was an exact cost involved again, like it was originally proposed like? Something else perhaps, some totally other way of doing this?

Say I was standing on a bridge on a normal earth like world above a deep abyss. I shoot with the gauss rifle down into the pit, and hit the 5sec reset after 4 seconds. What happens? The bullet returns to my gun, right? Or do I teleport to where the bullet is?

If now someone pushes me off the bridge and I fall, and I press the reset again after 4 seconds. What happens? Do I get moved back onto the bridge, or does the piece of bridge I was standing on get ripped off and moved so it's under my still rapidly falling feet?

((I'll warn in advance, I think things might get difficult as the 5sec reset is explored. If at any point you wanna say "it doesn't make sense/I don't bloody know, it just works like I need it to in that situation, shut up" then feel free to. I'm not trying to maneuver you inti a corner, even if it might look like it.))
(I think just straight up forgot. Sorry.)

Hmm The thing is, I'm not sure if we're gonna be getting many or any more missions in which we have a nice normal space to shoot from. We're gonna be diving through alternate dimensions and otherwise sticking our dicks in places they don't belong.  I dunno if it will be worth while anymore.

The bullet returns to the gun, you stay where you are. The location that matters is where the reset is at that time.

Likewise, you end up back on the bridge, because thats where the reset thing was 5 seconds ago.

Is there any way we could weaponize our Newton enraging magic?
We could wrap wire around his corpse and turn him into an electromagnet to power our weapons.

Since he's spinning in his grave.

Say that the pocket dimension doesn't work on the Sword because you have a jammer active that prevents its activation close to the ship to prevent people from accidentally damaging the ship. Or say that creating pocket dimension generators is hard/dangerous/expensive/impossible so you only have one on the sword and portals can't be created too close to the generator. Or that it doesn't work because of all the other space magic things we have there.

Also, for power creep, you could offer players the option to retire their old characters and start a sort-of new game+, with some extra levels and tokens. That's how I do it on my RTD.

You could make the old characters NPCs. Take them out of the game and have them do things in the background with the possibility of appearing in a future mission or some epic final battle. Kinda like the guy from the Ice-9 mission who was actually an HMRC member on a mission.

Oh, speaking of things happening in the background: Remember how you talked about one of the other HMRC ships infiltrating an asteroid-sized UWM ship? What's going on with the other HMRC teams like that one? Or should I ask these questions when I'm back on ship or in the ER talk page?

Jammer seems reasonable.

Hmm. A NG+ where you reset to new stats but keep your items and tokens would be ok.

Well those asteroid sized ships require manips to move so...

St. Bernard gurney bot
This will all work, though gunner bots are fairly expensive, even stripped down. Wetware computer and all.
So, what is the procedure now (argh, noobs... ;) )? The Heph OOC guys also showed some interest in it for BLOPS, so could you be more specific, please?
Well, if you're ok with paying 12 tokens for it, then consider it done.
For the whole thing, with both bells and whistles? Definitively. As soon as I have 12 tokens, that is...
Lessons learned: tinkering is worth it, but expensive...

Yep, that tends to be the general opinion.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: December 30, 2015, 11:54:47 am »

Ah, I see. So can we keep the gunship option as a 'maybe' then, should the situation ever come up?

The bullet returns to the gun, you stay where you are. The location that matters is where the reset is at that time.

Likewise, you end up back on the bridge, because thats where the reset thing was 5 seconds ago.

But before you said the 5sec reset uses itself as frame of reference. But from that frame, a bullet speeding away or a piece of bridge suddenly falling sideways and upward (as seen from the reset's point of view) is equivalent, no? How does it know to bring back the bullet in the first case, but the person (and not the piece of metal in the bridge) in the second?

A different example: say you are floating in zero gravity. How does the resett see the difference between 'a bullet moving away' and 'you moving backward while a bullet comes out of the gun and stays stationary'? After all, both 'bullet moves, you stay still' and 'you move, bullet stays still' are equivalent frames of reference on their own. So if the 5sec reset uses itself as reference frame, how does it differentiate between 'bullet moves' and 'person moves' if it doesn't use some sort of outside frame of reference?

To put it in another way: the earth spins around the sun at about 30 kilometers per second. So if the reset takes you back to 'where you were', shouldn't it teleport you 5*30=150 kilometers away, to the exact location your body was in terms of some 'galactic coordinates'?   
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:12:18 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: December 30, 2015, 12:10:51 pm »

Hey now Morpheus, I gave pw the explicit option to just shut me up whenever he wants. "Stop talking nerd" is all I'd need to hear.

But it does kinda matter, because it determines what to expect from using the device in different situations. If the rules aren't consistent, no problem, but it at least means we'd know to ask pw for what he thinks would happens if used, since figuring it out yourself wouldn't be a reliable way to make correct predictions. And if you happen to come to the wrong conclusion (wrong, in that it isn't what pw thinks, not that it isn't consistent with the rules) at a bad time, it could have serious consequences.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1657 on: December 30, 2015, 03:01:48 pm »

Whenever someone asks how with clearly alien and exotic artifacts, I instantly want to yell "Magic!" in the most hilarious tone of voice I can. Maybe break out into song.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: December 31, 2015, 06:48:19 am »

Sounds like the reset is the frame of reference. So if you and the bullet were to move opposite each other for five seconds, you you both be returned.

... I mean, at least how I hear PW talk about it. Ot's not so much where the reset is, it's more about the world around the reset.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: December 31, 2015, 07:06:10 am »

Whenever someone asks how with clearly alien and exotic artifacts, I instantly want to yell "Magic!" in the most hilarious tone of voice I can. Maybe break out into song.
I't not really about 'how' it works, and more what one can expect to happen in-game when you push that button.

Sounds like the reset is the frame of reference. So if you and the bullet were to move opposite each other for five seconds, you you both be returned.

... I mean, at least how I hear PW talk about it. Ot's not so much where the reset is, it's more about the world around the reset.

Yes it is, pw has said so, but then how does the device differentiate between 'I am moving away from x' and 'x is moving toward me'?

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: December 31, 2015, 08:03:15 am »

how does the device differentiate between 'I am moving away from x' and 'x is moving toward me'?
You have to use external reference points. Lacking those, the problem is meaningless; the very concept of immobility is a fallacy of the ground-bound mind.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:05:34 am by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1661 on: December 31, 2015, 08:34:37 am »

The 5-second-reset actually has a tiny skeleton inside that decides how thongs should be reset.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: December 31, 2015, 09:11:28 am »

how does the device differentiate between 'I am moving away from x' and 'x is moving toward me'?
You have to use external reference points. Lacking those, the problem is meaningless; the very concept of immobility is a fallacy of the ground-bound mind.

That's the thing, pw says the machine only uses its own internal reference frame. And if it indeed uses some external ones, I'm trying to figure out which ones (assuming the while thing is internally consistent, which it doesn't have to be, but in which case that'd be good to know). Some sort of galactic coordinates? Does it stay in relation to the nearest gravity well?

The 5-second-reset actually has a tiny skeleton inside that decides how thongs should be reset.
Deus ex lingerie?

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: December 31, 2015, 09:31:17 am »

Yes it is, pw has said so, but then how does the device differentiate between 'I am moving away from x' and 'x is moving toward me'?
Kinda like missiles I guess, kinda like this?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: December 31, 2015, 10:53:09 am »

Kinda like missiles I guess, kinda like this?

Hah, that was unreasonably hilarious.

For the record, the very first two results already give some interesting potential results, in case people are wondering why I'm bothering with all this. For example, we know that if we fall down the pit, and hit reset, we go back up. Now imagine that instead of falling, you were standing inside a shuttle that flew down the pit so that your body has about the same trajectory as it had during the falling of the first scenario. It follows that, if you hit reset inside the shuttle, you will be teleported outside the shuttle up to that bridge (assuming the shuttle isn't so small it is teleported along with you, which is probably since the reset area isn't that large). Ergo, using the reset in a moving shuttle will teleport you outside the shuttle (and presumably to you splatting against the ground some time later). Thus, you can't safely use the reset while inside any moving vehicle.

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 127