Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 225232 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2014, 03:44:17 am »

Viral videos transmitted via psychokinetic amp?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2014, 04:01:54 am »

Dear god, I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2014, 08:43:09 am »

THE ULTIMATE RICKROLL
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2014, 09:44:38 am »

THE ULTIMATE RICKROLL
No, no, no.
The ultimate rickroll would be doing that to an entire PLANET at once. The same one that Rick Astley is on.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2014, 02:56:50 pm »

((Back in-character now.))

Anton, content with the destructive effect of his rockets, moves over to Simus' testing area of the VR scene.

"Ah, XO? Do you have a minute? We have a few things to finalize here, and I figure now's as good a time as any. Primarily, there's the matter of the Black Death, that's what I call my flying cannon of a ship overhaul. Its uses are strategic rather than tactical, and I was hoping to have the generals weigh in on the matter. It is going to be the biggest of the overhaul projects, and if those resources are needed elsewhere, now's the time to decide whether or not we need it.

Then there are smaller matters with the equipment of the other ships, like Tweedledee and Tweedledum - our two regular shuttles. I put weapons on them because they'll be flying during a combat situation, but I am a technician, not a tactician. More experienced warriors of ours may have a better idea of what's useful.

And finally there's a... well, a side project that I'd like your input on, and maybe permission to prototype. I kinda threw the design together just recently, but I've been thinking on the idea ever since our stay on the Canary Base, and I have reason to believe it'll help our troops in the long run.

But first things first. I know we can contact Miyamoto, but is Jim or Milno anywhere they can see us?
"

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2014, 03:34:00 pm »

Posted for the ease of people.
This one is for you, piecewise:
At the moment, I have two ideas:
1. A nuclear explosive thingy small enough to be used as a bullet or other such projectile (likely a larger-caliber one), for when normal explosive rounds just aren't enough.
2. Synthflesh/Normalflesh hybrids. I have some ideas, but first I need to make sure this is possible and sane.
-snip-
Enter Ms. Simus's VR Session
"Miss Simus, do we have a budget or something like that? Do we have restrictions on what we can make it be?"
1.Gauss cannons (the man portable guns that are basically upgraded, larger gauss rifles) have 16th kiloton shells.
2. They don't hybridize. You can have a synth-flesh limb attached to a normal body, but they're not hybrid, it's just attached like a normal robot limb or prosthetic.

Hrm.  One horsepower = 3/4 of a kilowatt, so 200 HP would be 150 kW.  But I feel like you want to avoid giving definite levels of energy, so I'll just say that from some quick googling it looks like a modern high-performance 200 HP engine would weigh a little under three hundred pounds.  Is ER tech advanced enough to make a forty pound nuclear generator with similar or greater power output?  If so, how fast would it charge a cutting laser's battery, assuming you had a rechargable battery?

Next question, how effective is the cutting laser at range?  Test against a battlesuit at 100m, 500m, 1000m, 2000, and 3000m.

Lastly, you missed the actual bit of tinker in my post:

I am so sorry.

Edit:  If I'm allowed to, use that +/-2 dynamic AUX bonus I was charging to write a virus that can infect a computer through a text message.  Nothing particularly malicious, just a virus which allows me to remotely access whatever's infected.  Focus on making it hard to detect.  Save the virus on my wristpad for future use.

If I'm not allowed to do this, just let the dynamic bonus float away like wisps of smoke drifting above the fires of a burning school.

I feel like this is the sort of thing I created TPU for a million years ago and it only ever sorta got used. Check the wiki, there's a list of the power outputs and usages for weapons I believe. But yeah, you could get that much energy from a generator.

>Automanip stuff
Something with those specs...5 token.

And for your launchable glue bomb thing....

Well the thing could be fired at, oh, 150, 200 miles an hour and manage not to smash itself and stick on most of the time.

Do that with a rocket and make the launcher just a metal tube and it should be like 3 tokens, so 8 over all.

As per successful...well that depends. 20 degrees isn't a lot, especially if it's for a short time.  Doubly so if the pilot isn't full human or you don't hit the cockpit straight on.

Also, I'd be careful with viruses. Remember, you might not have the ability to remotely access things but steve is practically everywhere in anything electronic that can accept outside signals. He might take offense to malignant code crawling around. 

The intent with the penetrator is the same as a HEAP round. Shape the penetrator in such a way that the kinetic/explosive force applied results in most of the mass going forward as a directed armor-penetrating spike, even if it means the mass deforming, melting, and otherwise doing very bad things to itself. Make the penetrator like a double-helix spring tapering to a point, for instance. The pressure and destruction wave will travel in such a way that the outer layers, at the base of the spring, would fly forward with the most force, and funnel the rest of the penetrator into a single direction as it disintegrates in their wake. The double-helix spring shape will mean that the mass of the penetrator will have an infinitesimal amount more time to react to the force applied, so that it doesn't all shatter in one go. That sort of thing.

Hmm. Well alright. That will work I suppose.

IS THE WRIST MOUNTED GRAPPLING HOOK MOTORIZED? CAN IT LIFT 300 POUNDS FAST? WHERE IS THE MOTOR LOCATED? HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?

Also, I will try to make a kinetic amplified axe.
Spoiler:  Diagram. (click to show/hide)
The kinetic amp is stuck to one wall of a sealed chamber inside the axe. When swung, the kinetic amp will activate and push all the air in the chamber to one side, creating a powerful pneumatic effect. Kinetic amps have no equal and opposite reaction, so this will propel the axe forward with a lot of force.
Add a button on the handle of the axe. When pressed down, it will activate the kinetic amp. When released, it will turn the amp off.

It can be. It could. Probably on the upper arm. 4 or 5 tokens.

I believe what you created there is either an ax shaped grenade or something that just doesn't work.

Same game different rules...
enter session with simus and others move slightly away from the group spawn two battle suits facing each other one normally assembled and one shown mechanically exploded
Spoiler: design (click to show/hide)
test system
I have no idea what you're trying to make there. Pump with a laser? Help.

Hey, how big is an automanip? Such information is important for my planned Battlesuit-killer!
You don't need to be piecewise to answer, you know...
Depends on what they're being used for and how powerful they are. The ones in cannons like the ones on the sword are the size of small trucks.

((Sean, you can use whatever, just so long as you're not spawning complete weapons at cutting laser level and up. And I'm not working on the engineering challenge.))

I'm basing this thing on a design that uses it for propulsion (kind of like an Orion, but the detonation occurs at the throat of a magnetic nozzel and the fusion products and lithium are the reaction mass) - with a recycle rate of 14 seconds per pulse. And there's actually not that much fusion fuel to ionize - the lithium (actually, now I've read a study or two more... aluminium is better, swap that in instead) combined with the theta pinch (what I was reading for info was wrong, it's not a z-pinch, but a theta pinch that compresses the metal liner around the fuel) is what does most of the work - and scaling up the power of the device is done, it seems, by making the liner more massive (makes sense, I suppose - the fusion fuel ends up being crushed even more with the additional mass).

Though if it's really that much of an issue, we could swap fuels to a mix with a lower Lawson Criterion (deuterium-tritium, perhaps), since if less energy is required to set off the bomb but the energy from compression remains the same, then it should require less energy given to the fuel by radio excitation.

You're getting a bit beyond my knowledge of physics at this point.  I'm gonna trust that you're gonna be realistic when it comes to the details; so whats the nitty gritty of this. What are you trying to make? Just a cheaper fusion bomb?

So, several inches?
Mortar shell or something it is, I guess.
Spoiler: The Grate Shell (click to show/hide)
Grate attempts to make the aforedescribed weapon for his Simus project, without destroying his virtual self.
This is basically the same as the Microwave glue bomb someone made elsewhere in this reply. Except it's gonna be more expensive. and bigger.
Neither are impossible, but that chemical charge might be hard to get balanced perfectly. And I doubt you can make that missile really reusable. Even if it is in theory I doubt many will survive to be reused.

For shaped chemical charge: how large would the smallest round be that can still reliably penetrate battlesuit frontal armor?

For automanip launcher: what is the smallest size the 'inner core' could be (this includes the automanip, guidance computers and other reusable but vulnerable bits)? And would it be possible to protect the inner core from damage when using a combination of padding, shock absorbers (hydraulic, springs and/or pneumatic) and a crumple zone?

((Also, hot damn it seems everybody and his grandmother is experimenting with automanips all of the sudden. Do I get a prize for starting a trend?  :P ))

OY!
How do automanips work? I need some help before I can start with Grate's design.
Do yer own frikkin' research! Though now that the search function is borked, I guess one could be forgiven for not wanting to use that unpractical solution using google search.
And thereby my tinker project is already completed.
Man I'm good at this.
Indeed, a good tinkerer will always start out with researching if there are existing things already that do what you need. A good tinkerer is quite lazy, like a good programmer really.
We REALLY need to do some science on Grate.
I mean think about it, if we could give his quantum immortality to OUR TITAN....
We need to determine what Grate retains from his current form when he dies. e.g. If his brain is removed to be put into a synthflesh body, does he even keep the quantum immortality?(problem: if not, the whole enterprise becomes kinda moot, since the only way of testing it is killing Grate and seeing what happens)
And if he dies while being full synthflesh, does he return full synthflesh? If yes, interesting options there.

This is the third auto manip launcher I've seen this post. I'm starting to feel like I'm trapped in some sort of tinker purgatory. Send help.

For that chemical charge...ohhhh, baseball sized.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2014, 04:17:25 pm »

1.Gauss cannons (the man portable guns that are basically upgraded, larger gauss rifles) have 16th kiloton shells.
And how big are those shells? Could they be sized down to normal-bullet-sized ones, albeit with smaller yields? Would any such bullets be able to be fired at people without the shooter being in danger?

2. They don't hybridize. You can have a synth-flesh limb attached to a normal body, but they're not hybrid, it's just attached like a normal robot limb or prosthetic.
That's boring.
What's the fleshy part of synthflesh, anyways? Plastic? Rubber? Undefined intermediate polymer?

Hey, how big is an automanip? Such information is important for my planned Battlesuit-killer!
You don't need to be piecewise to answer, you know...
Depends on what they're being used for and how powerful they are. The ones in cannons like the ones on the sword are the size of small trucks.
...Might not be practical for my plans.

So, several inches?
Mortar shell or something it is, I guess.
Spoiler: The Grate Shell (click to show/hide)
Grate attempts to make the aforedescribed weapon for his Simus project, without destroying his virtual self.
This is basically the same as the Microwave glue bomb someone made elsewhere in this reply. Except it's gonna be more expensive. and bigger.
How big would an automanip for something like that be? And how flexible of a shape?

Spoiler: Another Grate Weapon (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2014, 06:15:33 pm »

PROJECT OVERWATCH:
Yeah, TPU is on the wiki.  I put it there. 

Problem is that there's no weight for anything, so I don't know if strapping two gauss cannon generators on the thing would be light enough, or if it is how much weight I have left over.  Although... really, a cutting laser should draw massively more power than 200 HP, so it's probably not very important...

How much would an 8 TPU generator (four gauss rifle/two gauss cannon equivalent) cost by itself, without the extra costs presumably caused by needing gauss generators to be miniaturized?  Twenty pounds, unless it can be smaller for the same price.

Next question, how effective is the cutting laser at range?  Test against a battlesuit at 100m, 500m, 1000m, 2000, and 3000m.

-----------
PROJECT ABS-8

As to the sticky rocket, twenty degrees is a lot.  At least, if it affects the right area- the brain.  If your brain is just a few degrees off temp, it's doing pretty bad.  Serious seizures start happening when your brain is just five degrees over.  Twenty degrees should start doing damage pretty much immediately, making coordinated dexterity hard at the least.  And then, even if the manip cuts out after five seconds, their brain is still hot, and it's not going to cool before the pilot goes into a coma.  Especially considering the air jumped twenty degrees too.  Oh, and full robobodies should be just as susceptible- they have brains to cook too.

As far as range... How big is a battlesuit?  Is the head of the pilot more than three meters up?  If so, how much would it cost to increase the automanip's heating radius so it's one meter taller than a battlesuit?  I'll assume it costs one token for the test.

So: Take the design I have.  Create a large urban battlefield, then spawn two opposing forces a distance away.  Each is composed of fifty sods with MKI suits and gauss or laser rifles alongside five battlesuits piloted by a UWM trooper in MKI.  One side gets five trained UWM operatives equipped with my launcher, and four tokens worth of stealth technology for sneaking up on a battlesuit.  The other side gets the same operatives, but only equipped with Piezoelectric shard launchers- no stealth stuff.

Both sides have remote commanders who have good knowledge of their force's positions, and good communications with the troops.

Run the battle an arbitrary amount of times.  Who wins more often?  Try to figure out why- what's the biggest failing in my weapon?

((I'm mildly surprised that this might be a feasible weapon.  Only costs eight or nine tokens, and extra shots cost two if you can recover the manip.  Also, it can function as a trap, leaves the battlesuit at least mostly recoverable, and should be pretty light.  It's not even as short ranged as I thought it would be.

It's actually really similar to a futuristic AT4 with some added functionality, come to think of it.))

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2014, 04:23:46 am »

enter session with simus and others move slightly away from the group spawn two battle suits facing each other one normally assembled and one shown mechanically exploded
test system
Gain medium = the object that produces a laser (coherent light) when energised with another energy source including other lasers
Pump  = energy source for Gain medium

As above
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2014, 05:12:43 am »

test system
Gain medium = the object that produces a laser (coherent light) when energised with another energy source including other lasers
Pump  = energy source for Gain medium

As above
((I normally call that a "lasing medium". And it would really do to take a page out of the Star Trek book on technological specifications, and provide concise descriptions to go with your technobabble - regardless of whether the babble is fictional or realistic, because past a certain point many people won't be able to tell. Like PW there. :)

For PW's convenience, you are making a shoulder-fired laser cannon out of a capacitor bank and a series of reinforced laser rifle emitters chained to fire in phase - a linear phased array laser with a backpack powersource, if that even makes sense.))

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2014, 06:11:25 am »

((I normally call that a "lasing medium". And it would really do to take a page out of the Star Trek book on technological specifications, and provide concise descriptions to go with your technobabble - regardless of whether the babble is fictional or realistic, because past a certain point many people won't be able to tell. Like PW there. :)
((a good thind to keep in mind :)))
For PW's convenience, you are making a shoulder-fired laser cannon out of a capacitor bank and a series of reinforced laser rifle emitters chained to fire in phase - a linear phased array laser with a backpack powersource, if that even makes sense.))
((Well that is entirely accurate,and yes I have absolutely no clue how powerful the final beam would be or its power drain))
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2014, 11:15:32 am »

((a good thind to keep in mind :)))
((Well that is entirely accurate,and yes I have absolutely no clue how powerful the final beam would be or its power drain))

So if I'm reading this right then you're basically making a normal laser, but instead of just using ONE lens, you are putting it through multiple lenses?

If this works...hmm I wonder if you could "reverse" the last lens to make the beam scatter over a wide area, or if that would just lower the power that you've gained from the other redundant focusing lenses. Probably the second.

Also if you put TOO many lenses in I assume the beam would be focused enough that it just shatters the last one.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:38:11 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2014, 11:34:40 am »

Hey, it works in XCOM. Anastasiya "Socks" Smirnova, may she rest in peace, can prove it.
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2014, 11:40:09 am »

Hey, it works in XCOM. Anastasiya "Socks" Smirnova, may she rest in peace, can prove it.
YOU LET "Socks" DIE? YOU BASTARD, I TOLD YOU NOT TO DO THAT.

Because my first "volunteer" got the same nickname. Ah Alice Evans, how utterly badass you were.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 127