Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: V.4h Becordobar - Mastermind Dwarf Challenge  (Read 26274 times)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: V4.h mechanical masterminds Dwarf challenge
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 04:07:59 am »

uhhhhhhhh
This is gonna be hard, pleasing everyone ^^

First of all, I can't give Mosey the Noble again, because that position is already taken ^^ Well, I can't skip myself in the starting 7 and considering the life expectancy of miners under my lead, I won't name any miner :D Also for the planned backstory it feels good to be the noble. But I have a position full of responsibility for him, even though not as part of the starting 7.
But I guess I have to give kamikazi a ranged dwarf then, as I had one left over, but Meph requested the position i had originally planned for kami :D

So right now my embark (that already happened, but the save is unpaused... took me 2 hours to get something casteless, which I gave up on in the end^^) is:
1 miner - unnamed (as written above, I won't name miners, except someone wants to die quickly)
1 noble - myself
1 mechanic - Meph
1 mason - Pascale
1 smith - Tenderroast
2 melee militia - CptCrunchy + DawnOfDarkness

And for the future i have noted:
Ranged dwarfs: ColdBones + kamikazi
Chief Medic: Mosey
Engraver/mechanic: arcvasti (I have to think about it, if I will really engrave something underground)

Last time I had a farmer instead of the noble in the starting 7... Well... If we all starve to death we know what went wrong :D

oh and @arcvasti
This fortress was actually my inspiration. But as I felt, that it didn't use the full potential, I wanted to make things a bit more... interesting... More enemies, no walling in, but 4 militia as compensation ^^ And tbh even though community fortresses are fun, they are not exactly the best for megaprojects or big trap design. And for ideas... well, there is some interesting stuff on youtube inspiring me ^^

Blazebase

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 04:37:47 am »

I tried to do a fortress with all the races turned on, just to see what would happen, ya know for shits n giggles.

I was not giggling, but the shit was flying at about 88 mph. I was attacked by nightwings within the first year at around late winter.

My fort value didn't come close to what was needed to trigger an attack, nor was I expected them until about 2 years later.

I did nothing to increase my value and they just.... CAME....

Steel armor and armaments, while being able to fly and feel no pain? It was a short battle.

You've been warned, but I'm curious to see how you will handle this, and the possibility of being trade blocked by multiple sieges waiting in line to attack you, once you finish one siege, another comes in it's place.

Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure.  ~Author Unknown

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 01:16:31 pm »

@arcvasti
This fortress was actually my inspiration. But as I felt, that it didn't use the full potential, I wanted to make things a bit more... interesting... More enemies, no walling in, but 4 militia as compensation ^^ And tbh even though community fortresses are fun, they are not exactly the best for megaprojects or big trap design. And for ideas... well, there is some interesting stuff on youtube inspiring me ^^

I may (or may not have) been advertising for Charmcrafted here. Charmcrafted is a bit unpopulated ATM, and I thought that those who would be interested in this would also be into a similar challenge thats been going for longer elsewhere. And no-walling in? Thats going to make it tricky to make some of the more elaborate traps. And also deal with first winter ambushes before you have any traps up. Maybe only take down the walls and drawbridges after the second year? Otherwise this could be pretty short with this many enemies. This certainly seems like it has a lot of potential and I'm looking forward to reading it.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 09:34:09 pm »

Can't wait to see how this turns out, hope I end up dying a glorious death with a sword in my hand and fighting to the end, instead of taking a bolt to the head in the first major encounter.
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

Shadow9657

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 12:01:23 am »

Could I be dwarfed as a butcher/boneworker from the first migrant wave?

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 02:53:42 am »

one thing... the 2 melee dwarves... give them swords AND knuckledusters. I tried it, they destroy everything. I just had 2 dwarves fend off 3 seiges, without a scratch, and the only armor they have is their starting clothes, and copper bucklers. Using copper short swords, and copper knuckle dusters. (seige 1, dark stranglers, seige 2 frog dudes, seige 3, white tiger men)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 03:29:31 am »

(seige 1, dark stranglers, seige 2 frog dudes, seige 3, white tiger men)
These are all easy FD races. Wait till you get something more difficult. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 05:51:17 pm »

I know they are the easy ones. But still, 2 dwarves without armor. Not a scratch. Except for my wood cutters, 2 of them did not survive.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 07:55:58 pm »

I know they are the easy ones. But still, 2 dwarves without armor. Not a scratch. Except for my wood cutters, 2 of them did not survive.

Yea woodcutters like to die to many things.  I always find that the problem is civilian dwarves get run down by anything.  I imagine even when they are caught by an animal or enemy they simply scramble away and try to escape.  Usually leads to them dying, even a legendary miner with a battlepick.  Whenever I have civilians caught out in the open that can't escape I quickly pause and throw them into a squad.  Wood cutters can use battle axes to chop wood and if you're quick to put them in the squad half the time they will spin around and tear the attacker to pieces while they would have simply died as a civilian.  Never underestimate the power of a quick militia squad with five fist and foot wielding dwarfs and one with a battle ax going in for the kill haha.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 10:59:05 pm »

my woodcutters are using wooden training axes  :P

They were toast no matter what.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 03:13:28 am »

The mainproblem is imho, that hunters, woodcutters and miners have that equipment conflict... In fact, a surprised battle worker of those kinds will still try to drop his working tool (aka weapon) and try to grab a another weapon...
Reminds me of the vanilla fortress where I lost about 20 crossbows to stupid flying thief animals... Because my hunters were always switching between hunting and archery practice, dropping their xbows wherever they felt like it. And when manually targeting those pesky things, of course my hunters first dropped their xbow... Bam... gone!

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: V.4g Becordobar - Mastermind Dwarf Challenge
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 08:35:17 am »

„What is luck?“ This question was what the dwarf was thinking about for hours. For the last days while he was travelling. Well, actually he had by now realized that it was the question of his life.
He wasn't even 3 years old, when the town he was born in, Hexxedgarish, was at it's peak. Everything was going so well, that the dwarves got greedy and breached hell. But the demons were too much for them... Everyone in the town got killed... Everyone except the dwarf, who, in all the chaos got grabbed by a kidnapping Kobold and was taken away. No one would call being kidnapped luck. But maybe it was his luck here?
As the Kobolds had no name for the child, they named him Mahrgell, after the legendary smith and one of the Founders of Hexxedgarish. Many Kobolds had fallen to the weapons she had crafted. And the young child was probably all they ever got from their raids to Hexxedgarish. But with the demon plaguing the world, there was no rest. They were running from the demons. All the surface races were running from the demons, as there was no stopping them. And if no mortal could stop them, it required the gods to do so.
And so, even though the chroniclers of the various races do not agree who exactly it was, it were the gods, who stopped the demons. Who stopped everything. They didn't make much difference who they hit with their wrath, and maybe they wanted to punish the mortals for their foolishness as well.
The demons were beaten, but there was not much left of the older races as well. Was it luck being destroyed by the gods, if your archenemy got hit even worse? Or not? The question troubled the dwarf.
And as even the gods had required troops to serve their purposes, new creatures had infiltrated these worlds. They were called 'fortress defense races'. And they were hostile to everyone.

The young Mahrgell had escaped the Kobolds and together with some other scattered dwarven survivors had found a new civilization. Remembering what had caused this chaos, they called themselves Egulvukrig, the controlling rift.

But even though he was finally between dwarves again, the situation was bad. They were lacking everything, being under attack by their old foes as well as their new ones. Mahrgell was asking himself, if he was lucky to be still alive. All this luck he had to survive... just to endure more suffering?
After 30 years, a decision was made. A new fortress had to be found. A better one. A safer one. A fortress where dwarves could finally live in peace and safety. 7 dwarves should go ahead, and more would follow. And Mahrgell would be the one to lead them. He didn't know exactly why they had chosen him. He didn't feel like he was best choice for that job. Actually, even though he had some basic diplomatic and social skills, he didn't think he was up to the task. But it was decided that way. Maybe it would just be, because everyone knew his story. Everyone knew he was the survivor. Many even just called him like that. ' The Survivor' And surviving... that was everything this new fortress was about. Yeah... It was probably all about the symbolic power. And while others would have felt they were lucky, getting so much trust, he was only feeling the pressure.
What they probably didn't know, when they tasked him, were his nightmares. The images of Hexxedgarish were still in his head. They were haunting him. And since he knew of his new position, the images were becoming clearer again. Not only during the night, but even during daylight he was seeing people, he had met back then as a child. People were looking odd at him, when he called them by names, that weren't theirs. But they knew he was the survivor. And no one would speak against the survivor. And so they played the game. And Mahrgell got stuck more and more in his visions, as there was no one waking him up.
But even with all that, he had to prepare. 6 more dwarves he had to select for the upcoming travel. First one he chose was Tenderroast. Tenderroast originally had a different name, but Mahrgell was calling him like that now all the time. And now everyone did. Even Mahrgell didn't know, how the smith reminded him of the earth mage from back then. Yes, men and women looked quite alike among dwarves but still. But whatever, things were as they were. Tenderroast was reasonably well skilled in armor- and weapon smithing, so bringing him would surely be no mistake.
The second dwarf joining them was Pascale. He was a proficient mason and would become the chief architect of the new fortress. Even though staying above ground was not necessary this time, there would be enough construction to do for him.
The next two dwarves were Cpt Crunchy and dawnofdarkness. The 2 young women would be responsible for the security of the settlement. Both had some prior experience in combat. While Cpt Crunchy was skilled in the usage of hammers and the art of dodging, her friend preferred to use swords and heavy armors. Hopefully they would keep everyone secure. Their responsibility was big, even though long term Mahrgell had different plans. He had studied the chronicles about Hexxedgarish. The militia was legendary. There was no challenge to them above ground. And still, when the demons came, they all failed. Now the demons were gone, but who knows for how long? And the new races? They had beaten the demons in battle and were attacking the dwarves again and again. Surely it would be foolish to repeat history. And he had met a girl, that  strengthened that opinion in him even further.
Meph, a young member of the engineers guild and with a lot of work experience as engineer and mechanic, had told him about some more creative means of defense. Some sort of defense that would not risk dwarven lives. Mahrgell could barely understand all her talking about constructions, traps, magma, minecarts and things he had never heard about. But it still made him believe, that this would be the only, the proper way to defend the new fortress. A fortress that would outshine Hexxedgarish, that would give the dwarven civilization new hope and would finally clear his horrible memories. His fortress.
The last dwarf joining them was Luror, a girl that had dedicated all her life to mining. And that would be her future task as well. Dwarves simply couldn't live without mining and so it was good to have her on board.
The skills of the expedition party gave Mahrgell some hope, but soon his expectations had to be lowered again. The mountain homes could provide them barely any valuable goods. All the had were 2 picks, some food, drinks, plants and seeds, a dozen moleweasel and a bunch of raw materials. The mountain homes couldn't even afford to give them already crafted armor and weapons, and thus they had to make them themselves as soon as they would arrive. Tenderroast had promised to give the 2 militiadwarves some proper weapons once he would get his provisonal forge up, and someone would have to make two armor sets out of that rigid scaleplate.

But all this preparations were now parts of the past. Now they were here. And it reminded him all of Hexxedgarish. The warm climate, the flat land...

But they wouldn't do the same mistakes. They wouldn't wait on the surface for the hordes to rush at them, but they would dig down, maybe built up... And there was another difference. When Hexxedgarish was founded it was a settlement of those not wanted by dwarven society. Of all those, that had lost their right to live along in the mountain homes. Maybe those lines were blurred later on s Hexxedgarish flourished, but still, the town never got completely rid of its mark. But now the situation was different. When back then every dwarf at the mountain homes tried to ignore the fact that Hexxedgarish even existed, now everyone was looking at the new fortress. It was their hope. Their only hope to survive. And it all weighted on Mahrgells shoulders. Was it luck to have to future of dwarvenkind in your hands? It was the question that he asked himself every night.
But now wasn't the time to struggle with such problems and so the 7 chosen one stopped their wagon, and the command was given.
Strike the earth! Let this place be known as... Becordobar!

And the goals were clear.
Get some stuff under the earth, prepare the militia so they could start training and build some sort of  fortification, to reduce the number of possible directions for attacks.

OOC: Still haven't unpaused ^^ :D Back to learning -.- Thursday should be the latest for some action here.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 10:27:58 am »

I love that your character is a survivor and is seeing shadows of the past and calling people by those names.  A genius way for many of us to be redworfed in the new fortress.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 10:58:38 am »

27t Sandstone in the last update of Hexxedgarish

;)
Wasn't intentional, but back then I already had that idea in my mind when i saw it happen ^^ I could probably check who the parents were.

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 11:14:42 am »

I like how you made a comment on my dwarf preferring heavy armors since this is how i usually try to play,I just prefer loading my teams with heavy armors so they can take the inevitable hit and have better odds of surviving.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:20:25 am by Dawnofdarkness »
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12