Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: V.4h Becordobar - Mastermind Dwarf Challenge  (Read 26269 times)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
Re: V.4h Becordobar - Mastermind Dwarf Challenge
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2014, 11:07:11 pm »

Oh be careful of those rothe.  I've had human steel sieges run into goblin caravans and cut through every goblin until they hit the rothe mounts and get smashed to bits.  Same thing with rutherers.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2014, 12:05:39 am »

2nd Granite
We noticed something... One of the drow shadowsniper was standing, where usually the bridge would be...

4th Granite
Now there is one shadowsniper less....

6th Granite
So we ordered the axe throwers to their position, when I was told by Uvash, her husband, that kamikazi was busy. What? How? Her only task is to train and defend the fortress. But he insisted...

8th Granite
kamikazi rushed by me today, straight to the bastion... I called her back... In her arm...

Really? First no one tells me that she got pregnant, then she silently birthes the baby, and now she takes the 2 days old one to the bastion, so she can nurse it while throwing axes at the drow? I mean seriously....

9th Granite
Once both (well, now they were three) were in position they opened fire. 2 dwarves behind fortifications vs one shadowsniper. How bad could it be?
Quite bad. While the Drow dodged most axes, the first arrow hit ColdBones right were it hurts most. I just heared the scream.

Well... if he makes it out of there... Surely there won't be any more children for Arcvasti and him. Kamikazi, with her baby on the arm, tried the best to save her companion. And now she finally also hit the sniper. Being slowed down by it's wounds, the Drow had troubles dodging the axes thrown at him, and somehow ColdBones managed to evade the arrows shot at him. Probably because he was running around in pain... kamikazis axes found their target now, and suddenly the drow was dead...

And ColdBones? I ordered both of them back, so his wounds could be treated before they could kill the now defenseless Drows. But he...

I have no words...
OOC: It seems the groin is a completely unessential part of the body, and a clean cutoff causes no bleedings, pain or any other sort of consequences and surely requires no diagnosis or even treatment... Okay, DF, okay... So which of the two is more badass? The one with the 3 days old child, or the groinless one?

12th Granite
As ColdBones claims to be okay, I ordered them back in position. Now they can kill the two remaining guards and the spiders, so we can send in Cpt Crunchy and dawnofdarkness without risk.

14th Granite
With all their quivers emptied, their targets were still not all dead. The drow had blocked and dodged almost all axes, and even though one guard and both spiders had finally died, one was still alive. But the dwarves had to get some new ammo first...

16th Granite
Finally... The axedancer had danced around the axes long enough... Cpt Crunchy and dawnofdarkness rushed now in to take out the remaining merchants and rothes. Now there blood everywhere in the depot area....

17th Granite
Haulers have started bringing all the goods from the drow to the depot. Sooooo many bloodsteel items. We certainly could armor all our soldiers with it. It would be smelted down and reforged as quick as possible. While checking the lists of items, I noticed we had 1400 bars of coke... I told the furnace workers to stop cokeproduction... at least for a while.

22nd Granite
Sometimes the wrong dwarves are at the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing. Like Mosey... Should be around the hospital, but complained about lack of work. Instead was at the skyproject. Deconstructing something... then dropping down 5 levels, into the ground... Now there would be work for a medic...

3rd Slate
Now it is Shadows turn to have a mood...

7th Slate
Migrants! 22 new dwarves arrived... Most of them were recruited directly into the masonry force.... Construction is too slow right now.

10th Slate
Well Shadow, you disappoint me. Really!

22nd Slate
WHAT? HOW???

How did this beast get in here, through all the traps, through all the dwarves and moleweasels running around... Straight into the fortress? HOW???
OOC: wtf? No clue how this happened... but the screenshot is from when i got the msg...

23rd Slate
While the civilians ran in panic, the militia was charging straight at the bear. Luckily it decided to attack some mountaintuscox instead of our dwarves. And so in the end it was dawnofdarkness who got the kill. Another one in her long list...

2nd Felsite
Coal dust is our new enemy... A miner and her child found their death today...

17th Felsite
Goblins!!!

Time to test the Heartgrinder!

18th Felsite
Even though two Goblins were killed right away, the test failed. Some changes to the abort system have cause the system to stall. Damn it... Looks like we have to change it again.
OOC: mainproblem is, that raised bridges do NOT work like constructed walls! A minecart crashing into a wall will change direction, if there is an impulseramp facing the wall and some free space... Do the same with a raised bridge and the minecart gets stuck.
As another squad of Goblins has shown up, I ordered dawnofdarkness and Cpt Crunchy to engage. We have to get rid of them. Also this way they can finally test their new weapons. Cpt Crunchy received a orichalcum meteor hammer, while dawnofdarkness is using a oricahlcum zweihander now.

20th Felsite
The Elves arrived. And were promptly ambushed by more Goblins. The Goblins killed a mountain tuscox, which caused the merchants to run, while the guard slaughtered the attackers, before following their masters. Meanwhile our soldiers had also cleaned up our portion of the Goblins. They are racking up more and more kills. (Cpt 27 dawn 46 Cold 10 kami 8)
Sadly a few stray arrows had hit a construction worker at the skyfort. Mosey will have to patch him up again...

1st Hematite
Finally summer!
Again a lot happened during spring. The battle with the drow and the Goblin ambush later, while it showed, that the changes at the Heartgrinder ruined it. So we need some more changes... more tests will come.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2014, 12:23:10 am »

@palu
will be done (read it after i posted the update)
@kamikazi
not really, imho - never had any problem with them, as they can't take much punishment... unlike the Drow ^^

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2014, 11:31:12 am »

I'm surprised at the amount of kills us melee dorfs have been getting, being the tertiary defense at this point.  Are we still rushing out and slaughtering snakes or something?
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2014, 11:45:15 am »

not really, imho - never had any problem with them, as they can't take much punishment... unlike the Drow ^^

Ah maybe I'm just unlucky.  I'm usually quite terrible at running a military.  I've started using the two man squads like you've shown and have much more success.  It used to be 1/4 armored dwarves with 2 or 3 level skills fighting when using large squads.  I know I'm right about the rutherer though.  Watch out for those monsters, especially if they are undead.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2014, 11:58:07 am »

I'm surprised at the amount of kills us melee dorfs have been getting, being the tertiary defense at this point.  Are we still rushing out and slaughtering snakes or something?
mass kills on wildlife (uncalled) and the fights against caravans ;) Not many enemies. But well... there weren't many enemies anyway, until now.
3 werebeasts(one killed after changing back, one killed by caravan, one popped up in the city and was killed by you two),
a titan(killed by heartgrinder),
18 goblins ambushers (heartgrinder failed, some were killed by Elves, the rest by you two),
18 darkstranglers(killed by ranged dwarves),
Spoiler: update below (click to show/hide)
I should build something to shred everything at the depot, then there won't be much to do for you guys... until a werebear sneaks through all defenses again or dawn hears some enemy over half the map and decides to rush there...
Also i admit that the ranged bastions are fairly inefficient right now giving them not as many shots as back in the days of hexxedgarish.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2014, 01:06:32 pm »

2nd Malachite
Again migrants. But this time only 10 came. But I'm not sad about it, as we are still having capacity problems.

20th Malachite
Finally the new dining hall high up in the sky was revealed!

Considering the old one was located in a mined out ore vein, this new one should really lift the spirits of the dwarves here. Sadly no one cared to remove the bloodstains and arrows from the shot mason (see end of spring), slightly disturbing the looks of it. An eyecatcher were the display stands in the center of the hall. They contained all the artifacts crafted here at Becordobar, as an inspiration for all the dwarves living here.
Next Pascale promised to build some living quarters, as there was still only the dormitory down in the mines as a sleeping place, which caused a lot of frustrated dwarves.

3rd Galena
It was a boring summer. Until today.

We couldn't figure out at first, if this thing is able to fly. If it is, this may cause massive problems.

4th Galena
Looks like it wasn't as it rushed towards the Heartgrinder. That was good news.... in multiple ways. Time for another test! We pulled the lever...
and...
IT WORKED!
Now we just have to wait for the beast to walk in...

5th Galena
It walked in... and... OH BOY!!!

It didn't even make half the distance through the trackway, as it was hit for the fourth time and got completely annihilated. The system is even more efficient then I had expected from Meph's descriptions earlier. Palu, the third engineer, besides Arcvasti and Meph tried to explain it to me: While a single hit of a racing minecart may not be severe on a big enemy like a titan any may not throw it back, like it would do with smaller enemies, the force of the impact would still stun the beast for a second. This causes the beast to stand still for a moment, while the carts run back through the system... And just when the beast recovers it's ability to move and maybe made a step or two forward, it gets hit again, repeating the game. And enough hits by those highspeed minecarts almost certainly kill everything, it seems.

6th Galena
But there was another crucial moment. Would the reworked shutdown work? The lever was pulled...
YES!!! It worked... finally.... Everything is working!
It starts, it repeats, it kills, it can be shut down!

(screenshot taken after the bridge was raised again)

12th Galena
I studied the old papers of Hexxedgarish. And I noticed something... Half of the town back then was considered a criminal, even by their own standards, as they had traded away quivers! Certainly this would not happen again...

I immediately called a stop on all exports on quivers. We would show more discipline here!

14th Galena
We are under siege!
About a 18 Tigerman, with their leader riding a boozebelly goat... How fearsome... or so....
15th Galena
We just wanted to start the Heartgrinder, when one of the furnaceoperators cmoing back spotted 2 Koboldthieves, that already crossed it, and were now in the trapway.. dawnofdarkness heard the shouts and always looking for another kill, she started charging... Straight into the Heartgrinder... And the Tigerman were already close to the entrance...
I had no choice... I ordered Cpt Crunchy to follow to join dawnofdarkness into the battle with the Tigerman, as it was impossible to avoid now and we had to save her... Save my love!

16th Galena
A guardian of Armok, some migrants had brought, joined the battle, as it had also chased the thief. This proved to be great help, as it absorbed a lot of hits, that would have struck our soldiers otherwise. But even then, the situation was tense.

dawnofdarkness took down one of the Tigerman, but now had to evade a lot of attacks, but her training could finally show it's effects.

While she was busy dodging around and blocking all those weapons directed at her, Cpt Crunchy again and again let his meteor hammer run down on the Tigerman, disabling them. And whenever dawnofdarkness found some time, she killed one of the attackers with a quick strike.
But the situation wasn't cleared yet. One missed dodge and everything could go wrong...
OOC: dawn has about one attack for every 5 dodges/blocks, but at least half of the attacks are killing blows, while Cpt Crunchy breaks them ever bone, but rarely gets attacked... Cpt has probably 3 times as many attacks as dawn, but in the end, dawn got ALL the kills...
But it didn't. With half of their numbers killed, the Tigerman decided to run, chased by our two stout defenders. Even though I really have to talk with dawnofdarkness to avoid such behaviour in future, the battle has shown that in times of emergency, there will be dwarves who will stand up and protect this fortress!

1st Limestone
Another season has passed. It looks like any potential caravan was scared away by the Tigerman, but that's okay with us, as not damage was done. The new dining hall has found a lot of positive responses, and new the new sleeping quarter is under construction. Sleeping space will stay tight, but it may easen the situation at least a bit. Also we are planning to move our entire  food/butcher/bone industry on top of the dining hall. This will free up some space at the surface level, while shortening the ways for the hungry dwarves. And Tenderroast has started massproduction of copper spears... We have already 40 from the old weapon traps, but he said that the engineers requested many more...

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2014, 01:55:00 pm »

OOC: dawn has about one attack for every 5 dodges/blocks, but at least half of the attacks are killing blows, while Cpt Crunchy breaks them ever bone, but rarely gets attacked... Cpt has probably 3 times as many attacks as dawn, but in the end, dawn got ALL the kills...

That's the exact reason why I went with hammerdorf to compliment dawn's sword.  I just love that tag team style of fighting, one person disabling, one person killing.
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2014, 04:14:50 pm »

Here is to good teamwork and more kills to come! (im kind of disappointed that my military dwarfs i make for my self never live up to these standards)
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2014, 05:23:44 pm »

27th Limestone
So when will someone explain me, what the point of those artifacts is?

At least we learned, that our enemies are not quite allied with each other. That's good to know. But don't ask me, where the maker of this amulet knows from.

15th Sandstone
10 more dwarves have joined our course. At least the first few rooms were finished, but it is still a long way to go, to give every dwarf his own property.

2nd Timber
Our bone and food industry has finally moved to it's new home above the dining hall. We also included new stockpiles for drinks, food, refuse/corpses and furniture. While this made a lot fo space at the ground level, it also caused a lot of hauling jobs. Looks like we will busy for quite some time.

We also prepared the second half of the Heartgrinder, but won't open it yet, as we expect hostilities soon and don't want to be caught with an unfinished and undefended track way. And the the bedrooms are also making good progress... In general Pascale is leading his masons quite well and efficiently, with them by now making one quarter of the fortress population (24 / 97).

15th Timber
So one apparently one of our spear weapon traps had killed an Orc thief. One of the haulers went there and instead of giving a report decided to just haul the corpse home, finding another thief... That one then got killed at exactly the same position as his companion by the same trap.
OOC: It is weird to find corpses without battle report, but hidden units do NOT produce a combat log, even when they get killed by the trap.

16th Timber
The caravan from the mountain homes. Finally! I'm not even sure, we have anything of value for trade... But we surely will find some junk and leftovers to sell them.

17th Timber
Not only the Orcs found us... Meph spotted an Automaton. Even though it was just a single thief, it means, they know we are here... Things are heating up.

(Mephs color is because her being legendary and blinking)

18th Timber
To underline my words...

A siege! Ferric Elves! EVERYONE GET IN!
Well everyone is... except Meph, who got scared by the Automaton. Hopefully she realizes, that she is running out of time and has to get in here... And the caravan is also still out there, luckily on the other side of the fortress. Still, if the Elves decide to go for the depot instead of the Heartgrinder... Things can get ugly.
Meph is still running like crazy, even though the Automaton is also running from her. And just when the first one finally had left our sight, Meph spotted two more, causing him to run further away again.
OOC: (Meph is northeast, Elves west, caravan southwest)
But she would be lucky. As the Elves could not decide which direction they should go, he finally found her way back into the fortress. At the same time the caravan made it to the trade depot and the  Elves finally decided which direction to go... they went... north! To the Heartgrinder. Now please, dawnofdarkness... stay here... and let the machinery do it's job... I told the militia to hide in a corner, so they could not accidentally get a sight of some Elf through the door, the trapway and the Heartgrinder...
And then we let the minecarts go...
Obviously not knowing what awaited them, the invaders went into the Heartgrinder...

19th Timber
They would quickly learn to know it... While the first strike threw most of them back, and the second round killed two, in the third round everything was over...

With their leader dead, the remaining 4 Elves obviously didn't know how to handle the situation. They would neither move onto the trackway nor would run away... They were just standing there... leaderless and without any plan.

As they would not fall for it anyway, we were turning off the Heartgrinder, but to get rid of them, it would need some manual work. The militia got themselves ready. As charging through the Heartgrinder seemed like a bad idea, instead we lowered the bridges through the depot, so they could go around.

27th Timber
After some delay (dawnofdarkness needed some provisions, her kill list made her quite a diva) they finally engaged the Elves. Even though ColdBones forgot the ranged aspect of his equipped weapon, with the 2 legendary warriors on our side, the Elves didn't last long.

The siege was lifted! None of the attackers had escaped. And finally the civilians could go back outside. The elvish equipment, consisting out of iron mostly, would be smelted down again. Why would anyone dig deeper, if you can gain everything from your enemies?

1st Moonstone
Winter! With the clothes from the Elves and some other stuff we could now trade with the caravan.
Autumn has proven, that we are no longer unknown to the other races. With Ferric Elves, Automatons and Orcs we had met 3 new enemies. But the Heartgrinder proved to be worth its long construction time and the many tests we needed to make it work. We now have some time to also finish the second half of it, it would probably only require a week to do so, but there is a small problem. A minecart is stuck in it, bouncing back and fourth right now... We somehow have to get it out of there without it getting accelerated again and driving over the worker. Let's see what we can do about that...
But there are more projects planned. We have to reconstruct the fortified positions for the axethrowers as the old ones proved to be almost useless. Maybe also add a few new ones.
Even higher up in the sky the new apartments also still need roofs and furniture.

Oh, and as Tenderroast has almost finished the spears he was supposed to make...I expect we can see something here as well.

PS: It looks like the Ferric Elves also know quantum stockpiles:
One of the two (the other one looks the same) end tiles of the Heartgrinder:

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2014, 05:32:05 pm »

So the HeartGrinder is also self-cleaning? Hehe that thing is awesome

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2014, 05:47:13 pm »

I just went through the kill list, when I found something strange...
dawnofdarkness has a kill on a greater ogress called Robek... Investigating the case via legends mode, I found something interesting...
She was actually the leader/general of the Jotunar civilization in this world since year 1. She led every attack they made (and that were quite many, all won...) and also acquired a dozen warwolves kills. Then in year 17 she was cursed by some deity connected to chaos to become a werebear... After that she got another 30 kills, but mostly on animals.
Well, and then she suddenly stood in the doorway of my fortress after sneaking through all defenses, to be greeted by the military. Usually I'm happy when werebeasts transform back... Guess here I was lucky that she kept her weak bearform.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2014, 06:21:42 pm »

And as I was looking around in legends mode, I thought, maybe you guys care about those summaries:

I added them to the startpost as well, and future ones will be added there bulkwise... (maybe I go through legends every 2 years or so^^)

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2014, 08:45:51 pm »

wow my dwarf just seems to be more and more badass
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2014, 11:06:02 pm »

that is awesome!!!

I love being the blacksmith... Everything in the fort was killed by my creations. Muahahah. Question, is there anyway to know how many masterwork quality items my dwarf has made?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12