Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: V.4h Becordobar - Mastermind Dwarf Challenge  (Read 26277 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: V.4h Becordobar - Mastermind Dwarf Challenge
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2014, 11:24:43 pm »

Heartgrinder sounds pretty epic. Also, I think you could just ask for changelings from the dwarves rather then hunt for warpstone. Also, you made the minecart grinder a bit more complicated then I imagined it. My method for minecart grinders is looks more like this:
But to each his own, I suppose. Or there's the minecart weapon in Charmcrafted which looks more like this:
Some food for thought on innovative methods of minecart-based mayhem.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:27:01 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:19 am »

yours: power/windmill required? -> simply a nono, as stated earlier
Charmedcrafted design: without autorepeat? -> another nono
both: no impulse ramps? -> lack of speed, considering there will be regular races with a size of 100 dwarves I need some more hitting power... And I'm not even sure the speedbuildup here is enough. Also where is the fun in minecart engineering without impulse ramps?

In general there were 2 things making the construction a bit more difficult then thought.
a) lack of space
there isn't much space between the border and the trap entrance and as I like style and symmetry I didn't want to build the system facing to one of the sides ^^
b) the idea of a 2x2 laned system (currently only 2 lanes build, but as i said, a symmetrical second half will follow)
this made it necessary to guide both lanes back on the same side (on the left in this case) requiring a bit more difficult track layout. This also led to me accidentally building the track the way it is now, with both lanes connected, instead of 2 separate loops. Even though, looking back, this looks like a nice feature, as it makes shutting down the system a bit safer, once my small adjustments are done.

Pascale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2014, 10:35:13 am »

Still a very good read.

I would like to submit my request for a pet ironclad mastiff since I like them. Nothing too urgent; obviously there are far more important things, but once we can afford luxuries I'd like one.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2014, 10:54:28 am »

I want to double that request by saying that the ironclade mastiff pet should get a unique name, using dfhack naming script. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2014, 12:20:35 pm »

I would like a steel clad grizzly bear haha. If there's only four military might as well go all out. Either that or a war trained gorilla troop. Or a personal guardian of armok haha

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 01:00:30 pm »

well since everyone seems to be requesting pets/guardians id like to request a pair of animated swords for my dwarf, im fine if these are a ways out
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

Pascale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 02:11:47 pm »

Oh Armok, what did I start...

Wait, dfhack name script? How does one do this? I MUST KNOW!

Oh, and the mastiff's name should be Cuttlefish, if I get to choose XD.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 02:54:31 pm »

Code: [Select]
# gui/rename script - rename units and buildings
keybinding add Ctrl-Shift-N gui/rename
keybinding add Ctrl-Shift-T "gui/rename unit-profession"

You can call your distillery: "Most epic distillery of the gods", and your masonry "Block Maker 5", call dwarves, prisoners, pets, wildlife just like you want...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2014, 03:46:01 pm »

Or you just use Dwarf Therapist to rename your pets... ^^ quick and easy.
Remind me later of those pets. I doubt this will be something I can do soon.

I finished playing year 2, will probably post it during the night...

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2014, 04:12:19 pm »

i just read my dwarf's description on the front page.... holy crap.... about 70% of it describes the real me.... the bottom white paragraph is 100% spot on...

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2014, 07:06:53 pm »

3rd Limestone
It seems the rookie miners have some trouble with warpstone. Another accident...

well... actually two.

11th Limestone
One of our haulers has a mood. Another useless piece of junk to be produced. Can't wait for it.

18th Limestone
Another pure malachite artifact. How useless, erm awesome...

And clinging to the past won't solve our problems. Who cares about some general back at the mountain homes. This here is the future!

22nd Limestone
There was still the guild representative of the Humans lingering around. Cpt Crunchy found him.

26th Sandstone
11 migrants arrived today. And they brought something we really needed. Two medics! Shadow could finally go back to crafting, while one of the two Arrivals, by the name of Mosey, was appointed our new chief medical dwarf. Now all we need is a proper hospital.

19th Timber
The merchants from the mountain homes have arrived. Once they were inside the depot, we closed the bridge behind them and our haulers started to bring all excess goods, mostly gems, to the depot.
Hopefully we could aquire something nice. Meanwhile two fortified positions for our axethrowers have been finished. One is overseeing the depot, one the front entrance. Also the design of our front entrance has been cleaned up.

1st Moonstone
Autumn ended without further events. We traded away the gems and other random stuff worth around 11k for 2 trade licences. Even if we would not use them right away, they would be useful later on. But I'm surprised about the lack of invaders. Besides some single thieves there hasn't been much.

19th Moonstone
Wasting precious working time and materials to produce useless artifacts should be a crime. Even worse, when all they create are some selfpraising pictures....

21st Moonstone
Armok gives and Armok takes.

It is the first child born here at Becordobar, but at the same time, we lost one of our founders. It is hard to express this mix of feelings...

27th Moonstone
We put up some temporary coffins, as ghosts were plaguing us. Shadow did her best to calm them down, by crafting some places to rest.

That should help them to get over their tragic death.

17th Obsidian
Drow! They are sending a caravan. We will lock them in the depot, before we decide what to do with them.

18th Obsidian
The drow have lured the enemy to us.

They will die for that! But first we had to deal with the dark stranglers... Everyone had to get in, so we can use the heartgrinder. ColdBones and kamikazi were taking position on top of the grinder. As the stranglers had no ranged weaponry, they would not even need the fortifications.
21st Obsidian
Heartgrindertest cancelled. Who needs that advanced machinery, when the our two axe throwing soldiers were killing the whole army before they could even get close. 9 stranglers had already died, when the remaining ones decided to run. Well, saying that two dwarves routed them is probably not completely fair to ColdBones. It was basically only him. He took 8 lives, while kamikazi scored only one kill.

1st Granite
And so the second year ended. This year had quite a few things happening. Under ground we lost 4 miners to warpstone, including good old Luror. The miners are the backbone of the dwarven civilization, and it seems like this world really hates us dwarves, so they get punished first. Still, our copper industry is going well, even though we are lacking more advanced metals yet. Oh, and the miners got some secret plans by Meph. She will probably explain me later what it up with it. Earlier she already requested some changes to the entrance trapway.
On the surface we have built the Heartgrinder. Tests looked very promising, even though the dark stranglers didn't even make it onto the tracks, as they were shut down by ColdBones. But we expect more enemies to come. We constructed already the wall for the second half of the Heartgrinder, but haven't finished it yet, as there were more urgent things to do. There is almost no space left inside the walls, so we have to put some buildings under ground.

And then there were 2 fortified position floating over the area, connected by some constructed tunnels high up. And even further up (surface+5) one can already see some new construction casting a huge shadow and the masons are still bringing blocks up there every day. I know what it will be, but Pascale wants it to be revealed once it is done, so I have to keep the secret...

For the upcoming year the most urgent question will be, how we deal with the Drow. There is no forgiving them, that they brought the enemies to our fortress. But they are guarded by 2 shadowsniper, an axedancer and a claivemaster. At least only 2 of their packanimals are forestspiders, as they can be quite dangerous when engaging them headon. (and 4 rothes... never seen rothes for Drow in the older versions...)
dawnofdarkness and Cpt Crunchy both have completely mastered their weapon- and shieldusage as well as their general fighting skill. But on the defensive side they are still lacking some training (dodging/armoruser is around 6-7 for both) Even though their physical condition is perfect (maxed out, for normal dwarves), I'm still not sure, if it would be wise to fight the drow directly. Kamikazi and ColdBones could also try to shoot them from the bastion above the trade depot, but then they may receive the returnfire from the shadowsnipers. Even though the fortifications should give our guys a serious advantage. We will probably try that. If it works, it will be a nice target practice for both of them, as their skills have still room for improvement. (lvl5 archer/thrower)

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2014, 07:29:29 pm »

Can't wait to see the Heartgrinder in action!
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2014, 07:43:35 pm »

Drow are nasty. Be careful. I'm not sure what a rothe is, but those things have killed me a decent amount of times in nethack, so I'm going to say they're nasty too. Maybe designate a dump zone above their heads and rain junk on them? Or put a bridge over the depot, pile junk on it and retract it? Even if those latter two ideas are not practical for killing the drow traders, you might want to consider using them against invaders in future.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2014, 08:01:35 pm »

Okay... I'm only ten days into the next season... Let's summarize it like that:

Reproduction + Dwarf = awesome!
No reproduction + Dwarf = even more awesome!

Oh, and I hope there is no connection between the actors of these few days and the forum members they are named after... Otherwise... please stay away from me!

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2014, 10:17:35 pm »

Can I be dorfed as the engineer who came in the last migrant wave?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12