Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Off to kill my second real monster  (Read 1905 times)

blazing glory

Off to kill my second real monster
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:40:19 am »

the first was a hydra,now I have to kill a dragon,should I train my shield skill furver then accomplished?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Off to kill my second real monster
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 06:43:49 am »

Dragonfire is basically too easy to block. If you have managed to duel a hydra, you'll block dragonfire just fine.

blazing glory

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 06:52:12 am »

Dragonfire is basically too easy to block. If you have managed to duel a hydra, you'll block dragonfire just fine.
I was dueling the thing a while before I had the inteligence to scroll down the body part's page and start attacking the hydras feet,once it was prone cutting off it's heads was a push over,the problem is that you only have 1 defence against dragon fire (shield) while you have 3 against melee creatures (dodge,shield,armor) and while I am using steel armor (broke something in the raws when making dwarves get towns so that humans ended up with steel,not complaining) I fear dragon fire will give the dragon canned food,which came preheated

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 10:20:32 am »

Hydras are a step UP from Dragons in difficulty.  Multiple heads (and thus multiple bite attacks, not to mention redundant nervous systems to shrug off decapitation) are FAR more dangerous than a gimmicky fire-blast-thing that really isn't that powerful in any case, and can be easily blocked with a shield (seriously, I modded the raws once to give Elves dragonfire.  It was USELESS.  I might've messed up while editing the reaction, though)
We're basically feasting on eldritch abomination cookies. I love this game.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 02:07:48 pm »

Just don't think that cause the fire missed that it cant harm you, raised ambulant heat can kill.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

blazing glory

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 03:40:06 pm »

Hydras are a step UP from Dragons in difficulty.  Multiple heads (and thus multiple bite attacks, not to mention redundant nervous systems to shrug off decapitation) are FAR more dangerous than a gimmicky fire-blast-thing that really isn't that powerful in any case, and can be easily blocked with a shield (seriously, I modded the raws once to give Elves dragonfire.  It was USELESS.  I might've messed up while editing the reaction, though)
Guess I don't have anything to fear since my character can shrug off melee attacks,of course you still have to watch out for ballistic missiles bowmen and crossbowmen

blazing glory

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 04:00:58 pm »

Stupid dragon,the thing didn't even crack off a bit of fire before I killed it though I admit to using sneak to get close the dragon he spotted me so we fought,a couple slashes to the legs and next thing you know he passed out!,of course his head was too big for insta kill so I did the next best thing,I started slicing it's throat,now I'm off to hopefully fight something more challenging

EDIT off on a long journey to the north to kill a forest titan,must say at least this adventure is better then the last one,on my last one the lord just kept giving me quest's to kill bandits
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 04:06:41 pm by blazing glory »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 02:27:09 am »

The worst problem with the dragons is that they are actually pretty puny. Don't be fooled by 20tons of weight listed in they raws, real-life dragons (200 years of worldgen at most) are much smaller. Think more of the size of a horse, or maybe a hippo. They're even weaker because claws are worse then hooves in df. Dragonfire can make difference, but most precautions are about
1) sneak, 2)wear a shield and 3)don't fight them in flammable terrain
With good spead you can actually run away from dragonfire if you see it coming, it's not very fast.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 11:30:07 am »

The worst problem with the dragons is that they are actually pretty puny. Don't be fooled by 20tons of weight listed in they raws, real-life dragons (200 years of worldgen at most) are much smaller. Think more of the size of a horse, or maybe a hippo. They're even weaker because claws are worse then hooves in df. Dragonfire can make difference, but most precautions are about

A quick modding is recommended to make dragons grow in few years to their full size.

And adding a iron-hard skin doubles the fun.

blazing glory

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 03:52:26 pm »

A quick modding is recommended to make dragons grow in few years to their full size.

And adding a iron-hard skin doubles the fun.

hmm...well at the very least I should make them feel less pain

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 04:02:02 pm »

Are you cursed?

Because my last adventurer was cursed and I was wondering why I was missing roll after roll and pretty much having the worst luck ever despite being Legendary+++++ in pretty much near everything.

He got an infection due to a smashed open nose. Since that was pretty much a death sentence I retired him in a quiet little town so he can die in relative comfort instead of being dismembered by a horde of zombies.

I have since then made a Human Jedi and have been avoiding crypts and tombs. He's been much luckier by far and has killed off a few Rocs and Dragons without any trouble. Currently clearing out necromancer towers because I've run out of things to do.

blazing glory

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 04:04:07 pm »

Are you cursed?

Because my last adventurer was cursed and I was wondering why I was missing roll after roll and pretty much having the worst luck ever despite being Legendary+++++ in pretty much near everything.

He got an infection due to a smashed open nose. Since that was pretty much a death sentence I retired him in a quiet little town so he can die in relative comfort instead of being dismembered by a horde of zombies.

I have since then made a Human Jedi and have been avoiding crypts and tombs. He's been much luckier by far and has killed off a few Rocs and Dragons without any trouble. Currently clearing out necromancer towers because I've run out of things to do.
Nope not cursed,if I was then I would probably end up failing my sneak role get spotted before I get close to the dragon and then get roasted to itty bitty bits because I failed my shield role

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 04:18:17 pm »

I killed my first dragon by throwing copper bolts into it from about 3 squares away, only took 5 bolts with a Competent level in throwing. Only thing you need to watch for is getting into melee range since dragon claws make tissue paper out of Iron and it doesn't give two diddlies about your Dodge level.

And shields do a pretty good job at blocking fire, even wooden ones apparently. Although I haven't come across any elves (not sure if there are any in Vanilla) so that is most unfortunate, since you can strap on 8 Wooden shields and they weigh as much as 2 iron ones apparently.

blazing glory

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 08:16:39 pm »

I killed my first dragon by throwing copper bolts into it from about 3 squares away, only took 5 bolts with a Competent level in throwing. Only thing you need to watch for is getting into melee range since dragon claws make tissue paper out of Iron and it doesn't give two diddlies about your Dodge level.

And shields do a pretty good job at blocking fire, even wooden ones apparently. Although I haven't come across any elves (not sure if there are any in Vanilla) so that is most unfortunate, since you can strap on 8 Wooden shields and they weigh as much as 2 iron ones apparently.
Does it make tissue paper out of steel?

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 12:36:32 am »

Does it make tissue paper out of steel?

Can't get Steel armor on human adventurers. So I dunno.

Wouldn't want to find out. You'll want to level up throwing anyway because it eventually becomes short range artillery.
Pages: [1] 2