Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for games in the same genre as Magicka  (Read 811 times)

Sixteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for games in the same genre as Magicka
« on: February 05, 2014, 12:10:08 am »

Sorry if there's already a similar thread, all I saw were the forgotten name and nonexistant games threads.

Anyways, I'm looking for a multiplayer "casual" pick-up (as in you can do things in the background without losing much) game with no penalty for death, a simple learning curve, some level of story (ie. not an arcade/flash game), and the possibility of messing with the other players, for a group of people in the same room who aren't there just to play the game. So far, Magicka has been the only game I've found that's fit the bill.

I realize this is the exact opposite of DF and most of the games here, but I'm looking for something to do with an RTS/FPS/MMO player and someone who doesn't really play games.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for games in the same genre as Magicka
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 04:43:19 am »

Well... Get Medieval! kinda fits since it's more or less the same genre (a bunch of heroes against giant swarms of monsters).
Other than that i have no idea really.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:13:19 am »

Take a look at Dungeon Defenders, it might fit what you are looking for. It's basically a tower defense combined with a third person shooter/beat em up. It was a bit slow on my laptop though, so your mileage may vary.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 03:25:27 pm »

From what little I've seen of Magicka, it reminded me a bit of Nox. But Nox is pretty ancient by now, so I'm not sure getting multiplayer to work would even be possible.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 03:38:58 pm »

Magicka:Wizard Wars is out now, you might want to try that.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 07:22:47 pm »

How many PCs do you have in this room? Does everyone have one, or is there just one?

Or, umm, NES M.U.L.E. Just because a game only takes about 1/2 an hour, but you need to be on the same PC all at once. Completely not what you're looking for, but great against flat-mates. Hunt that wumpus! And be a complete and utter bastard when you can. So you win.
It's a game. Have fun.