Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Random Article Wiki-Warfare [Round 3: Organized Religion and Rumba Parties]  (Read 20384 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This game was inspired by ultra-minimalistic yet interesting topic. I thought it would be fun as a musing for all of us. Expect absurdity.

Gameplay:

The goal of this game is to incapacitate all of the other players to the point where they can not incapacitate you back. The simplest way to achieve this goal would be to kill the other players, or put them in a comatose/long-term K.O.'d state, but there are other viable methods including complete subduction or damage to one's mind to the point where they can't even cognitively function well enough to be a proper contender anymore. The last player remaining will be the Champion.

The Game runs on a 10-Sided Die system for completing actions, so a Rolled 10 will result in the complete satisfaction of the intended action, whereas a 1 will result in the direct opposite. Everyday simple actions require no rolls. Things like climbing a ladder, breaking down a door or hacking through an electronic lock, will.

Each player receives 5 Attributes, based on 5 Random Wikipedia Articles loaded for them. Abilities have some sort of effect on the player, oftentimes a modifier to certain types of rolls, or access to a non-standard ability. For example, a Random Article on a Baseball Player will give the player a +2 to actions involving the use of Baseball Bats or similarly-shaped Club-type items. Most nouns will simply give the player a certain amount of an item. Getting Graphite may have them simply starting out with a sack full of Graphite.

But won't this result in huge disparities, with one player starting with an assault rifle, another with Telekinesis, and another with a pogostick? Of course, that's what makes this fun! Be creative, that's why the goal is to Incapacitate, not just Kill. A player can be blessed with getting the Article for Immortality, but that makes them far from unbeatable.

In general, most Articles will work like this:

-Organisms, People, Fictional Characters, and Mythological/Religious Entities will give the Player an Attribute based on their own abilities and habits.
-Locations will give Attributes based on what they're known for, ex., Detroit would give its player a +2 to actions involving automobiles.
-Items will mostly result in the player starting with one or more of them on-hand, depending on their function, size, etc.
-Concepts, Theories and Abstractions will give Attributes based on their general subject. A player with Pragmatism will get an ability to disprove untestable impossibilities, ex., nullifying the magical powers of another player.
-Miscellaneous Articles will result in...something. Eh, I'll figure it out. This game is Bollocks enough already.

Attributes aren't inherently bad, but may carry risky side-effects, or could simply be almost useless.

The location of the game will be the first Random Article I get to that could physically hold all of the players simultaneously. So the location will vary from a cruise ship, to the entire country of Moldavia, to a gas station in Central America, to Al Capone's Jail Cell, etc.

So that's it. If you want, simply say so.

Example Player Load-out:

TCM

Rich LeFevre: +2 Competitive Eating.
Jersey City Public Schools: +2 Public Education.
Texas Southern Tigers Football: +2 American Football.
Van Oord: +3 Land Reclamation.
Alan McCullough (Loyalist): +2 Counter-Terrorism, become a North Irish Loyalist.

Players:
1. My Name is Immaterial
2. mastahcheese
3. Elephant Parade
4. Playergamer
5. darkpaladin109
6. Urist Mc Dwarf
7. Ozarck
8. Ddynamo
9. TamerVirus
10. NAV
11. LordSlowpoke

Waitlist:

Champions:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:16:39 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In.

Know what might be neat? If you found five articles for each player, and they selected three.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:41:43 pm by Elephant Parade »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

IN
Waiting for the person who invariably ends up with Hitler.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Know what might be neat? If you found five articles for each player, and they selected three.

That sounds good, except it seems like it would make things a bit fair with people choosing the Attributes that would actually work. At that point, what's the point of giving someone a Random Article Attribute when they're instantly going to ignore it to go for 3 other useful Attributes?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That sounds good, except it seems like it would make things a bit fair with people choosing the Attributes that would actually work. At that point, what's the point of giving someone a Random Article Attribute when they're instantly going to ignore it to go for 3 other useful Attributes?
I guess that's true.

Can you roll for my articles now? I'm curious as to what I'll get.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have done so already. I'm not sure if I should reveal attributes until the game has started though.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

I have done so already. I'm not sure if I should reveal attributes until the game has started though.
I'd say wait.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd say wait.
I'd say don't wait.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile

I'd say wait.
I'd say don't wait.
I'd say I wanna be in.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i'm just wondering what sort of glorious thing awaits the poor fellow who rolls unconsciousness

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

I'll play.

Poorly, probably.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile

I'll throw down. In
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile

I'm IN! I just hope I don't get anything involving those things.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:09:41 am by Donuts »
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

Did someone say IN!?!
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

IN.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16