Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: 3DS games?  (Read 5952 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS games?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 08:53:08 pm »

Link Between Worlds, SMT IV, Etrian Oddysey Untold (Or IV, the two has different sets of classes though), and Fire Emblem Awakening are all good. Theres also a 3ds animal crossing if you want to play that, and Bravely Default soonish. Liberation Maiden is interesting, but it is right-handed controls only, so I can't recommend it.

As for DS games, theres plenty of good ones. Layton games, Phoenix Wright games, Rune Factory 3 (haven't played 4 yet, nor 1 or 2), Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, Radiant Historia (which has awesome music), and Okamiden. Theres also a duo of Picross titles, a tetris game, and Meteos if you want puzzles. And both 3ds and ds have plenty of pokemon if you're interested in that.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 09:23:36 pm »

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
This is literally the first time I have heard that game get recommended, I only hear bad things.

If you're doing DS reqs: TWEWY, Contact, and Ghost Trick are all great
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 09:29:43 pm »

Well, I haven't exactly gone looking for reviews. I just took out my ds case and picked out the ones that were fun to play. I'll second Ghost Trick and Contact though, I heard those were great.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 09:46:02 pm »

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is... okay. It's more that there's nothing standout about it, on a system with a lot of very strong contenders, and it had quite a legacy to live up to.

Also, in the TBS genre, for DS: Disgaea, Advance Wars (any) and Final Fantasy Tactics.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 12:34:56 am »

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
This is literally the first time I have heard that game get recommended, I only hear bad things.
I've played it with, uh, 'technical modifications'. It's OK. It does a good job copying the previous Golden Sun battle engine. The story is iffy (not to spoil much, but it suffers from objective-related amnesia partway through, and then ends on a cliffhanger), and the characters are only decent (the game pushes a full 8-man party without spending much time characterizing each hero, while the previous Golden Sun games had a full-length story to introduce each party of 4).

That said, I 100% support Ghost Trick and Advance Wars titles for DS gameplay. Also highly recommend The World Ends With You, if you're interested in a completely non-conventional story and a combat system that makes good use of the DS touch screen.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 12:47:58 am »

Well, I haven't exactly gone looking for reviews. I just took out my ds case and picked out the ones that were fun to play. I'll second Ghost Trick and Contact though, I heard those were great.

Ghost Trick was pretty great. Great soundtrack, too. I think the same guys who made the Phoenix Wright games did Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. Either way, really great game and I never hear anything about it.

To be honest, I've played both Rune Factory 4 and Rune Factory 3... And I think I prefer Rune Factory 3 over 4. It's probably because Rune Factory 3 was more easily broken and more casual than RF4. Rune Factory was originally an offshoot of Harvest Moon, but RF4 took too much from Harvest Moon, which I didn't really like because it made the usual farming grind worse. I liked that you could take more than one request a day in RF4, but I disliked the fact that there was a lot less personal character development because most of the character development happened via random Town Events, rather than the missions.

I would recommend Monster Hunter 3U... but it doesn't have wireless internet play, which is pretty huge. If you have a couple friends you can play with locally, that's great, but not having multiplayer denies access to one of the best parts of Monster Hunter. I'd hold off until Monster Hunter 4U, which has internet, I believe. Still a pretty good game, but you really do want multiplayer.

Honestly, I can't comment too much on RPG/TBS games for the 3DS. I do have Fire Emblem Awakening, but once I discovered the
Spoiler: eugenics program (click to show/hide)
The game consequently got a lot easier. I still haven't finished it, actually.
Also often called Boowells.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 11:07:35 am »

How does Rune Factory 4 compare to Harvest Moon A New Beginning on the 3ds? I like the farming/upgrading/expanding home progression in Harvest Moon, and I was wondering if that is as strong in RF4.

I'm thinking of picking up one of them up but at the moment I'm leaning towards Rune Factory because I already own Friends of Mineral town on the GBA.

For those who've played Friends of Mineral Town and a New Beginning did you have a preference?

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 12:22:14 am »

I haven't played RF4, but I've played RF1, RF2, Friends of Mineral Town and A New Beginning, plus a few other DS HMs.

Spoiler: On A New Beginning (click to show/hide)

The Rune Factory series is quite good, and should give you a familiar Harvest Moon style progression. I could ramble about it but it's probably better to listen to someone who's actually played RF4 because a lot has probably changed. :P

It's also worth noting that the DS Harvest Moons were generally...bad. A New Beginning is the best handheld HM since FoMT.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 01:02:15 am »

I was so keen in getting Rune Factory 4 until they announced it was not going to be released in my region (Oceania). Screw this region-lock thing, Nitendo!

I feel Animal Crossing New Leaf is too... cute. So my alternatives are either Rune Factory 3 or Harvest Moon: A New Beginning. Which one would you recommend?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 01:30:58 am »

Monster Hunter 3U, and 4U when it comes out. As mentioned, 3U has only local wireless gameplay so you'll need to have fellows with the game to do any multiplayer. This could be a huge turnoff if you don't like to fight monsters scaled for 2 with only 1.5 people on your team (you and the two buddies who aren't really damaging). 4U will have online so when it comes I'd strongly, STRONGLY recommend it.

For other games, I only have Shin Megami Tensei 4 (haven't finished, but I'm enjoying) and Etrian Odyssey 4 (maybe 60% done, also enjoying, haven't played in ages). I'd recommend them both if you're exactly like me, but they might not be for everyone.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 02:29:43 am »

For other games, I only have Shin Megami Tensei 4 (haven't finished, but I'm enjoying) and Etrian Odyssey 4 (maybe 60% done, also enjoying, haven't played in ages). I'd recommend them both if you're exactly like me, but they might not be for everyone.

I am not really into Monster Hunter series, but SMT4 and EO4 interest me. I am quite peculiar about being able to play after ending. Can I play after I beat the final boss in any of those two games?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 02:46:19 am »

That post was originally intended for the OP, sorry. For an actual response, I believe you can in both games, though I haven't beaten either (somewhat close in EO). Otherwise, how would you beat the super-mega secret bosses, aside from New Game+?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 05:51:00 am »

OP is more than happy for other people to discuss games in this thread.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 12:35:27 pm »

I am not really into Monster Hunter series, but SMT4 and EO4 interest me. I am quite peculiar about being able to play after ending. Can I play after I beat the final boss in any of those two games?

I hasn't finished EO4 yet, but if it's anything like the others, you'll get an achievement, an item that'll unlock something at the shop, and get to go back to exploring.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 03:04:21 pm »

OP is more than happy for other people to discuss games in this thread.

Thanks glorious OP. :)

I am in the same boat. Been doing too much Pokemon X/Y and need something refreshing to play in between Pokemon sessions.

I hasn't finished EO4 yet, but if it's anything like the others, you'll get an achievement, an item that'll unlock something at the shop, and get to go back to exploring.

So there are infinite randomly-generated dungeons?

I actually prefer SMT4 due to the artstyle and setting. Will watch some Lets Play videos.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5