Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When designing a fort for the adventurer's mode, what should I keep in mind?  (Read 906 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello, I have limited experience with adventure mode, that is why I am asking this.

I am awaiting the new release and meanwhile I am getting various ideas for fortress layouts and themes. Once I start playing I intend to build all those forts in only one world, that could be then played with an adventurer. (I would be happy if some other players tried it afterwards.)
What should and what shouldn't I do? For example, obviously I should not wall the fortress in because adventurers can not remove constructions or mine. What other things should I know?

I tried marking my fort as "lair" by DFHack, then came there with an adventurer and I noticed that all the dwarves even merchants are at the same place they were when I abandoned, is that because of the "lair" command? Does that command cause any troubles?
I also noticed that half the fort was flooded and I have no idea why. Can some door get accidentally opened?

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AFAIK, the "lair" command helps massively for making an Adventure Mode fort, because without "lair," all your junk gets strewn all over as if you were reclaiming it.  So if you wanted there to be a challenging labyrinth with, say, a set of artifact Adamantine equipment at the end of it, the "lair" command would keep the set at the end of the maze instead of throwing it around everywhere.

I think.
We're basically feasting on eldritch abomination cookies. I love this game.

Nico2167

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE Bogeymen
    • View Profile

Some ideas:
Minotaur Lair
Forgotten Beasts trapped in cages (linked to levers)
Big Shiny Prize at the end
Parkour (jumping and climbing are going to be added next version, right?)
Lots of Engravings on walls (to make it look like some sort of ruin)
Traps, lots of them
Beware that looking into cross breed babies tend to be hella glitchy and crash the game if you save and reload the game as DF doesn't know how to reproduce what ever the god living hell you made.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile

add complex traps, like a pressure plate unleashing some amount of water, and DEFINITELY breach cavern layers, so that there's at least some sparse population of your fort by crundles and other such cave critters. It'll increase the tension if nothing else. Lots of complex traps and levers. And if possible get the fort to die from something interesting like a megabeast attack or a goblin invasion or antmen.

Another thing that isn't so much in the building of the fort as the playing, wait a while before you explore in adventure mode. Even if you go right away it'll be weird exploring it from a non bird's eye view, but if you also can't remember the whole layout, it's much more exciting.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you're looking for themes for a 'level' type construction, I've got a few.

One way in, one way out:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Backtrack Hell:
Boss Rush:
The Water Level:
The Fire Level:
Transitions:

These examples are not exclusive from each other and could be combined to create a grand old adventure.
If you find yourself with a mental block, just watch someone else play a video game on Youtube(because ain't nobody got time fo doing dat demselves). If the ramblings of a nasally let's-player don't manage to distract you, pay attention to the layout of the stage, dungeon, or what-have-you. Take note of little details, such as the transitions between different areas and the positioning of landmarks. Part of what makes classic games so great is how their levels were planned, and they can have a lot to teach an observant player. Food for thought.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool, but I was more interested in mistakes I should avoid.

Also, what kind of a world should I generate for this? Medium? Pocket?
How long should the history be?
How about the number of civilizations? Is higher better?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 08:00:31 am by ancistrus »

MrBull

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Although I can't give you the advice you desire for fortress mode. I can digress that in smaller lands (pocket and such) after a large period of time many larger beasts become extinct and you'll find a highly skilled adventurer will have fewer beasties to target because of this. And I've come across town shops being deserted for whatever reason later in the dates. Although the feeling of ending a thousand year old, first of its kind night creature is a feeling that can't be replicated doing the same with a hundred year old one.