Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Infinity Wars - TCG [NOW ON STEAM]  (Read 18281 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Wars - Free, Animated TCG [BETA]
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2014, 11:34:28 am »

typical f2p, p2w fare in this respect.  Expect plenty of grind from any f2p that doesn't specifically state that all microtransactions are cosmetic-only. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The day somebody makes a non-p2w collectable card game is the day I start being interested in these games again.  :)  CCG's were pretty much designed to manipulate people to pay up cash to feed their addictions.

Personally I played Magic just so that I could look at all the art and flavor text. :V

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 11:40:45 am »

Ok, thanks. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything important. :) I think the issue right now is either the pool of players right now is too small or the matchmaker is out of whack, I get matched with people with mid/high tier stuff who basically roflstomps my starter decks if I attempt to play constructed right now. I wouldn't consider it a "grind" if I could just play my deck against other newbies with their starter decks, but right now farming the AI seems to be slightly less annoying than just getting completely obliterated everytime I play PvP. Might try coming back to the game in a while then.

fakeedit: Yeah, I tried stuffing my deck with the counter cards, but I personally feel like my commander slots are simply so weak that I lose control of the game before it even begins. Seriously, screw overloaded drones and Aletas.

fakeedit2: omg the new replies

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 02:01:21 pm »

Decided to give this a try...
Wondering how badly driven this game is by cash...

Teremus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2014, 09:55:16 pm »

I'm disappointed that you're calling our game pay to win. We strive exceptionally hard to ensure that we're providing a quality playing experience where no one feels as if they have to spend money in order to succeed, and we've been given a lot of feedback that we're on the right track.

I won't try to sway your minds if you're set in your mentalities such as the definition of pay to win, I'm certainly not here to contest that. I'm here to talk to you honestly and openly about what Lightmare Studios cares about, and why we're making Infinity Wars.

Decided to give this a try...
Wondering how badly driven this game is by cash...

It's not. It's driven by us trying to make a game that is fun and competitive. Obviously we're not done just yet, but I'm not really sure where this perception of money grabbing is coming from. It's a beta, I have a full list of intended features up on the forums, and I provide full disclosure from the company.

If you have concerns on the game itself, talk to me. If you think we're just here to open your wallets you're wrong, and I'm not going to sugarcoat that. We want to make a game that you can enjoy, have fun with, and never feel pressured. Right now the perception of pay to win comes from the lack of a playerbase pitting new players against veterans with a CLEAR skill and collection gap in that matchup. That's not in any way the game itself, that's just that the matchmaking system doesn't have the ability to pair you against someone fairly due to lack of options.

With the steam launch and an increased playerbase, the skill/collection gap narrows tremendously and you'll be paired against players more fairly. Whether that changes your perception or not, I hope at the very least you'd endeavor to find out what Infinity Wars is actually about.

If anything, we are the farthest thing from trying to get money out of you in order to enjoy our product.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:11:53 pm by Teremus »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2014, 10:03:16 pm »

Probably because buying cards takes what looks like a ton of ingame grind (given the current rate of IP gain) unless you pay cash. It's a moot point for me, because fuck Paypal. :|

3. Run Resize Enable

Teremus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 10:14:50 pm »

I can understand that, but that's a perception that I'll be happy to inform you why it feels that way.

1] I getcha on Paypal. The only other option we'll have is Steam Wallet until the legal processes can get worked out for the rest of the options.

2] IP is a secondary desire in our core design of the game, but unfortunately that's actually missing the main point by a feature that isn't implemented yet. Achievements, rewards, and a progression system. We want people to go for a goal rather than a landmark. A pack of 5250 IP is most certainly an overbearing landmark, and if we just threw IP at you there'd be bots all over the place completely destroying the player economy.

Instead we want a goal of progression, achievement, and most importantly the re-work to the ranked systems. Progression is HUGELY important in game design and we just flat out don't have it yet. We will though! ^.^

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2014, 10:28:59 pm »

Meh, I'm giving it a go. Hearthstone doesn't have enough mechanics (bored, need to buy or grind "interesting" cards), MtG too many broken mechanics or PtW (in its "proper" format, or gimped in DotP. Liked Forcesc2Strategy's vid about a mid-game sliver deck though. Has anyone ever played Microprose's MtG game? Laugh at what mana does now. Laugh). Whatever. I'll give it a burl.

I'm glad there's still a market for CCGs. Smart ones. Computer based ones. Where the game can be fun and cerebral. Decks aplenty, strategies aplenty, without physical card game limits or noob limitations. I'll give you my thoughts in a few days.
It's a game. Have fun.

Teremus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2014, 10:31:04 pm »

We do have trading, so we're a TCG actually. ^.^

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2014, 10:34:03 pm »

I'd actually really like to see a more fleshed out version of the campaign/level reward system as the primary means for card gain--though hopefully not soul-locked cards.

3. Run Resize Enable

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2014, 10:38:58 pm »

I'm cool with that. At least if I do invest cash, it might be worth *something* to someone else, even with the RNG. Maybe not cash, but it brings the whole idea of "trading up" into a more reasonable perspective. What's good for me might be gained at a low cost (for my deck, and priceless to them). Thus a reasonable, and sometimes more-than-reasonable trade.

Well, sounds good. I'll give it a burl.
It's a game. Have fun.

Teremus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2014, 10:41:16 pm »

I'd actually really like to see a more fleshed out version of the campaign/level reward system as the primary means for card gain--though hopefully not soul-locked cards.

I'll actually just show you what's going up on our website in a minute. This is literally the text that will be up on the page we're making.

Here at Lightmare Studios and Infinity Wars there are two things we care about above all else.

1] Making the kind of game that we, as gamers, would want to play to ensure we’re always looking out for our players and their ability to enjoy themselves in a quality online gaming experience.

2] Prioritizing the quality of our products in the development cycle, making sure that we’re planning ahead to focus on what’s important to the game’s development and not just implementing little things here and there that don’t really impact your gaming enjoyment.

To this end we would like to provide you a rundown of exactly what’s happening and what’s planned with Infinity Wars, and we’ll always be prepared to answer your questions about the game and its development if we are able to at the time.

First and foremost there’s one thing we’ll get out of the way: bug fixing and polishing a game takes time, and a lot of dedication. For about 2-3 months all Lightmare will be doing with Infinity Wars is sitting down and going through all of the known bugs, fixing them, and polishing the game. This means optimization, cleaner screens, massive fly swatters, pesticide, and the occasional Mass Death for those pesky roaches.

Now aside from the entire bug fixing and polishing that will happen, we’d like to let you know what’s on the docket for new features and content throughout this time. Keep in mind all of this is subject to change but this is the general idea of what’s on the drawing board.

UI Features
•   Revamped Chat System and visuals.
•   Brand new shiny profile screen
•   More detailed player reward system
•   Renovated home screen for organization and cleanliness
•   Additional filters for both the trade and deck builder screens, as well as some polish to both.
•   Settings and options for various portions of the game
•   Re-work to the post match screen and information

Features List
•   Auction House
•   Android and iOS platforms
•   “Fun” formats such as Cube and Two Headed Giant
•   Spectating and Replays
•   Re-work to the Ranked system to also include Sideboards and ladder style play

It’s important to note that as we move through the development of Infinity Wars there is likely more we’ll add to this, and this list is in no particular order of priority, but this is the wish list of Lightmare for Infinity Wars as it stands right now.

Keep in mind that all of these are the things we’re looking at as we move through the life of Infinity Wars and that there is no timeframe on any of this just yet. When we are getting ready to start testing any of these features/additions I will be sure to keep everyone apprised of all the wonderful things happening with Infinity Wars.

So stick with us, it’s going to be one extremely fun ride and we need your help to get there.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2014, 10:57:21 pm »

Once again, I love being on B12. It's not that we get the news first. It's not that devs drop by here. Its that it's one of the few places that it's worthwhile putting a thought forward that can and will be listened to by devs if it's good, but they can chuck their own thoughts down to the player community without griping and whining.

Cheers Terminus.

Looking forward to playing the game.

(note: just to make sure you know, I'm in no way connected with Infinity Wars or Terminus. Just wanted to say how cool it is on B12. It is :) )
It's a game. Have fun.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2014, 11:13:40 pm »

Once again, I love being on B12. It's not that we get the news first. It's not that devs drop by here. Its that it's one of the few places that it's worthwhile putting a thought forward that can and will be listened to by devs if it's good, but they can chuck their own thoughts down to the player community without griping and whining.

Cheers Terminus.

Looking forward to playing the game.

(note: just to make sure you know, I'm in no way connected with Infinity Wars or Terminus. Just wanted to say how cool it is on B12. It is :) )
My thoughts exactly.
--
A lot of that sounds like stuff I've been wanting to see come up the pipe for IW. Cheers!  :))

3. Run Resize Enable

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2014, 11:24:03 pm »

Thanks for the responses Terminus. :) I'm really looking forward to the steam launch now, so that we can get a larger playerbase. I personally think that the game mechanics itself are really fun, and finishing the campaign does already give one a fair amount of cards, solving the newbie/vet matchmaking issue would completely eliminate the "grind factor" for me. I have no issue with working up to better tier cards slowly while having fun at the same time. And yeah, getting payment methods other than Paypal would be really nice too, I find the rates pretty good but, well, Paypal.

--

Tried messing around in constructed a bit more today. I'm currently using a Warpath mono deck, and after sticking even more counter cards into my deck it's actually working well enough to get myself a couple of wins. Granted most of those were from drawing Call the Warpath late in the game, which I got from a levelup booster pack. I think I'll play just to experiment how far a crappy deck newbie almost fresh out of the campaigns can go. :P

e: spelling
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:26:35 pm by FluidDynamite »

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2014, 11:26:14 pm »

The intended features on your forums mention card forging.  Is there any chance that that will let us convert soulbound cards into other soulbound cards?  I've got 6+ of lots of non-unlimited cards just after finishing the campaign and gaining some levels.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6