Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Infinity Wars - TCG [NOW ON STEAM]  (Read 18278 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Wars - Free, Animated TCG [BETA]
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 10:10:43 pm »

Meanwhile, the Radiant Dawn guys look like they're in something of a hard spot, because unless they have a god-tier deck and an ideal draw they really don't have much chance of winning with their rushdown; they're hard-countered by so many things that can either stick a nasty defender out there by turn 3 and keep them alive, or that can just straight up blast their dinky little critters with abilities, or that gets stronger the more their defenders get to fight.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 11:56:08 pm »

The whole exhaust line of cards is brokenly good if they use a lot of duplicates or singular strong monsters. Two whole turns of a card being out of commission, bar a few niche counter cards, is obscenely good for a rush deck.

Teremus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 12:39:47 am »

Interesting to hear some of these statements regarding the PVP interactions and AI problems. If you don't mind hearing it from myself, I'll be happy to inform all of you of what is happening so that you can lay your concerns to rest.

1] In regards to matchmaking or the gap between AI and player, that will naturally resolve itself. As of right now you are very much so correct in the statements that coming out of the campaign you'll likely just get stomped by some mid-higher tier player right out of the gate. That's most certainly due to the lack of a playerbase at this time which will resolve itself with our Steam launch and our marketing push once the game is in a more completed state.

2] In regards to the AI's cheating and being dumb. Yep, I won't even sugar coat that haha. They're dumb and not programmed to precise specifications. They will be however, for about 2-3 months prior to the full release of the game all we're going to be doing is polishing and bug fixing. Polishing is the part where the campaign's and overall AI's get optimized and worked on to be a tad more intelligent and at the very least follow the rules. We'll also be expanding the available PvE content in the future with events and storylines and lore and fun things with stuff.  8)

3] There is a feature that will be available come Steam launch called The Academy. It is an education tool in which all levels of players can visit various mechanics and concepts of Infinity Wars to better educate themselves on how to think and how to play. With how cerebral we're designing our game to be, it's rather necessary for new users to visit this to understand what they're up against.

4] There were some comments regarding the size of the card pool and balance. Firstly, there are currently 220 cards in the game. Infestation, the third set of cards, is set to launch Mid-February sometime following the Steam Launch so that some of those players of the chance to get some preorders in. Infestation adds 100 new cards to the game, a ridiculous amount of options/responses/niche mechanics, and I'll be releasing a preview video in about a week or so.

Balance is nigh impossible with an incomplete playset, however once you learn more about the mechanics of the game outside of the cards themselves, the balance comes a bit more into focus. Cards like Mass Death or Calamity usually throw new players for a loop until you start to understand how to react/predict as a player rather than just the options you might have in your hand.

I'm glad to see such a healthy discussion going on. Let me know if there's anything else I can discuss for you.  :D

~Teremus
Community Manager
Infinity Wars

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 01:07:52 am »

Nothing there that's too surprising, and I think we're all more than used to "beta is beta" at this point. I'm looking forward to future developments with this!  :)

3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 02:40:35 am »

God damn the AI is stupid.  I know it's beta and I don't mind, but yeah, aside from giving you lots of cards to play with, the AI doesn't prepare you at all for real games.  I don't know why the campaign is so god damn obsessed with the zombies considering it doesn't know how to play them and usually has to flagrantly stack the deck to even stand a chance (for one, it doesn't have any idea how to use converted creatures, often letting 10/10s chill in the support zone)

And the zombies also seem to get more lore than everybody else, and get premade decks for every campaign mission.  I'm prejudiced against Avarach if you didn't notice, which sucks because a universe of the dead pouring in through portals is pretty rad.

Still all about Genesis, mostly judging factions by their synergy with Genesis.  I want Drone/Invincible stupid gimmick to work but I think it might be too one-dimensional.  Not enough space in the deck to do anything else and it doesn't work if the enemy doesn't play ball.  Genesis Exiles seems pretty interesting, infinite sacrifices with the drones but it's tougher to fit everything you need into your commander slots.  I can't live without turn 1 noble and that leaves you choosing between constructor and functioning drone economy.  I usually go with drone economy.)  Also neat flavor, cyberdemons.

Shoes...

Teremus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 06:14:07 am »

Ah, I forgot to respond to one topic as well.

There was a comment about boosters costing too much in IP so it takes too long to grind the cards. I've heard that concern before, and I'd like to let you know what Lightmare is doing to address that.

First off, the costs for the packs will not be changing. We WILL, eventually, be implementing a middle-tier booster pack with about half the cards of a booster and half the price. Right now it's just a big mountain to climb to get that big pack, and that seems like a pretty daunting task when you're focused on that goal. Aside from that in mid-march we'll also be implementing a rewards/quest/achievement system that is designed to give you a goal oriented focus rather than a number orientation.

The design intent we're looking for is to have IP as a secondary desire, and the achievements/gameplay as the primary desire. For new players transitioning from the newbie phase into the veteran phase we'll also later in the beta be implementing a ladder-style ranking system similar to what you're familiar with in LoL/SC2 with a best of 3 style gameplay and sideboarding to fuel the competitive desire.

Basically we don't want you to focus on grinding. It's boring, monotonous, and generally not a fun thing to do. So we'll be making stuff that let's you have fun with the game and not have to think about I NEED MOAR POINTS. GIME 5250 IP RITE MEOW.

Cuz that's not fun.

~Teremus
Community Manager
Infinity Wars

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 10:13:27 am »

Just a point to consider, but maybe have that mid-point pack have at least a guaranteed rare and a guaranteed uncommon or two? Because that's obviously the big reason why blisters aren't already filling that role; nobody's going to blow that much IP when they're pretty much always just going to get more 2/2 common cannonfodder that they don't need. Even with fake money we're stingy. :V

3. Run Resize Enable

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 03:56:26 pm »

Anyone building DoD decks care for a gold foil Mian disciple? I'd mostly be interested in any non-basic Varore or Exile cards I could get for it. I also have a regular Gao Han.

For some reason all the other decent cards I've gotten from boosters are soul locked. Which is slightly baffling.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 05:17:35 pm »

Any cards you get from leveling and daily wins are soulbound IIRC. Cards you purchase from packs aren't. As for a drone-exiles deck, I've had a bit of luck with having two ritual masters and a Lucca as my commanders. You basically just pump out drones, sacrificing 2 every turn, then drop Lucca and buff them when needed. (Plus a few temporal anomalies and other Lucas to provide more buffs. It isn't exactly competitively viable, but it's fun to beat an enemy using nothing more then huge drones. :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2014, 03:01:00 pm »

So, uh. My "card" of the day for logging in was a booster pack. I'm suddenly much more okay with the store cost of boosters if there's a chance to randomly get one for login (or potentially for the daily win reward).

3. Run Resize Enable

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2014, 12:42:03 am »

Depends. IW2013 booster changes nothing. Since pretty much only the rares and some uncommons are at all useful. Collection boosters would be better because you can potentially get anything.

Also eh if they're soul locked.

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2014, 04:39:14 am »

Finally almost done with grinding through the campaigns to get the starter decks for each faction, still missing Sleepers and Exile. Some of the later missions got a bit ridiculous (3rd turn 24/24 unstoppable AOE flying dragon? Seriously?), so I resorted to just startscumming for Grave Rob to get through those. Not exactly proud of that, but hey it worked pretty well for me and saved me from quite a bit of frustration. :P I really like the mechanics of this game though, for some reason the game feels a lot more fun for me than other online TCGs.

e: Uh, I think I need some advice on how to... Well, stop being a poor newbie without any of the good cards. A bot win is 19IP, and a constructed loss is 60IP. The smallest booster is at 1,050IP which is only 3 cards with a single uncommon, which has quite a chance of being off-faction. Note that I'm not complaining here, I'm just interested in how people got started off with the game, and whether I'm doing this the wrong way lol.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:57:26 am by FluidDynamite »

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2014, 11:15:21 am »

typical f2p, p2w fare in this respect.  Expect plenty of grind from any f2p that doesn't specifically state that all microtransactions are cosmetic-only. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you're good enough, you can go into drafting once you have the entry ip.  The cost of booster decks seems to be pretty economical relative to other TCG's, if you're interested in spending money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 11:24:42 am »

Yeah, it's pretty P2Wish. I'd still want to see a price drop on boosters unless they genuinely give us a 1 rare/# uncommon/<# than booster common guaranteed pack at a significantly lower price. Or make boosters that, and add faction-specific boosters at the current price.

That said, load your deck with Assassinates, location killers, character-target spells, and Grave Robs. There are plenty of instagib spell cards (one that comes to mind for dealing with those Genesis bullshit dragons is the Genesis anti-air missile, instakill on any flying target--or you could draw an anti-location spell and fuck the Dragon Project before it begins). There are plenty of ways to utterly fuck someone who dropped a load of dosh on cards for those juicy hero characters.

3. Run Resize Enable

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 11:32:52 am »

typical f2p, p2w fare in this respect.  Expect plenty of grind from any f2p that doesn't specifically state that all microtransactions are cosmetic-only. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The day somebody makes a non-p2w collectable card game is the day I start being interested in these games again.  :)  CCG's were pretty much designed to manipulate people to pay up cash to feed their addictions.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6