Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Infinity Wars - TCG [NOW ON STEAM]  (Read 18289 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Infinity Wars - TCG [NOW ON STEAM]
« on: January 30, 2014, 11:15:35 pm »

http://www.infinitywarsgame.com
(Steps on how to join at the bottom)

Another TCG, this one with fully animated cards! Infinity Wars is a newer TCG, and is definitely one of the most fun ones out there nowadays. Currently in beta, Infinity Wars patches about once every 2 weeks, and has a big update (100 more cards) coming that should release soon. It has been steam green lit, and should hopefully go up onto steam sometime in the next couple of months.

Some things about Infinity Wars:
  • Turns activate (mostly) simultaneously. Players alternate "initiative" which determines who's cards resolve first in the event of a conflict, but both players characters attack or defend "simultaneously", meaning draws are fully possible.
  • Each card has a morale value as well as an attack and defense value. Each player starts with 100 morale as well as 100 health, and when a creature dies their morale value is subtracted from the player's morale total. Players can win by either bringing their opponent's health or morale to zero (in fact some factions specialize in winning this way!).
  • Game uses a resource mechanic similar to hearthstone, where players start with 1 resource that can be spent on anything, with the maximum increasing each turn up to 10 (though it can be raised higher through certain cards and the trading post).
  • Trading post allows for the spending of your resources to draw more cards, increase your resource cap, or shuffling cards from your hand into your deck.
  • Merged dock mode, where both players share a single deck.
  • Command zone - This is a zone where you are allowed to place three creature cards, which can use their abilities to affect the battlefield or may be played out from, essentially allowing you to top deck your favorite three cards of a deck.
  • Purity - In order to determine which cards you can place into your deck each card has a "purity" value, where it requires a certain amount (0-3) of your commanders to be of their faction.
  • Draft mode - One of the more balanced draft modes I've seen in these kind of games.
  • Unique digital mechanics - They actually take advantage of the fact that this is a digital game, and they do it well.
  • Single Player mode! Right now the game has both a (fairly small) campaign and a (not very good) AI. These are planned to be improved as the game develops, and playing AI's does give in-game currency rewards (though not very big ones).
  • 7 Unique 'factions' as well as factionless cards. These are:
    • Cult of Verore - Control based faction, kills other creatures to grow stronger
    • Descendants of the Dragon - Morale based faction, wins through building up unbreakable defenses and grinding the opponent down
    • Flame Dawn - Rush faction, specializes in high attack low defense creatures that rush onto the battlefield
    • Genesis Industries - Specializes in combining creatures to buff them, making huge single creatures
    • Warpath - Tanky faction with many expensive high attack/defense creatures, slow to ramp up, but difficult to stop
    • Sleepers of Avarach - Zombies that grow stronger as they die, eventually overrunning the opponent
    • The Exiles - Demon faction currently in progress but has a very big rework coming on the horizon

And it's totally free. Yes, you can buy booster packs, but those can also be bought with the in-game currency at fairly good rates, and there are only a small handful of items that can't be bought with said in-game currency (all of which are cosmetic only!). Also there are enough soul bound cards given out to make it fairly easy to get many cards anyways, as well as daily rewards for just logging in, playing three games, and doing some quests (such as kill 250 characters, or win with >50 health and morale).

Screenshots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You can't see it due to them being static images, but all of the cards have short animation loops that play constantly.

How to join:
1) Go to http://www.infinitywarsgame.com.
2) Click on "Got a Code?"
3) Create a new account and enter 8D4BD as your code.
4) Download the launcher and launch it. It's a fairly large download the first time (150 MB or so) but after that it just has to do occasional small ones.
5) If you want to add me in-game as a friend (it might do this automatically since it's my invite code) my in game username is "OtherPlayers".

Starting Tips
1) Play the campaign. Beating it all gives a fair amount of cards.
2) Getting to level 3 in a given faction gives a large number of cards in that faction.
3) Saving up to buy one of the pre made faction decks is a good starting strategy, after that the big booster packs are the way to go.
4) Log in every day and play three games (even against the AI, which are fairly dumb right now). Complete quests whenever possible.
5) Generally early on you don't want to do draft mode games. Once you've got some games under your belt draft mode is one of the best ways to get more rare cards, however.
6) For the first 24 hours after you join the collectors pack has a huge discount. This means for $1-2 you can get a fair amount of cards, including some rarer ones to help you get started.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:39:03 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Wars - Free, Animated TCG [BETA]
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 01:29:53 am »

Hmm, so you can actually play this one by yourself?
I may consider trying this, then.
Posting to be Reminded Later, looks interesting.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 02:21:38 am »

Will there be resets prior to proper launch?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 03:50:33 am »

I don't believe so, especially since there were kickstarter rewards for those who backed originally that involved card rewards. That said it's extremely easy to gain enough cards to make viable competitive level decks, and even to get all of the cards with soulbound cards + draft mode + a little bit of trading on the side (Though getting all of the foils/gold/platinum edged cards is another story).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:54:05 am by i2amroy »
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 09:07:13 am »

Downloaded it. Took it out for a spin. Seems quite fun in theory.

I just have a tiny problem that when I win a game it just sits there and says that it's resolving the turn. So I can't actually play the game.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 03:55:12 pm »

Strange, it works fine for me (and I can't see any bug reports on it on the forums). Would you report said bug through the in game button at the top (I think it's part of the "help" button IIRC). Lightmare is usually pretty prompt about support getting back in touch with you, so they might have a solution to your problem.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 05:13:04 pm »

I think it might have been some missing essential assets. It fixed itself after I downloaded the whole thing, rather than trusting the light that says "Playable".

It's really damn fun though. I love the fact that the different factions play so differently. My current favourites are Genesis and Sleepers. I'm really crappy at it at the moment though, playing the Genesis campaign, I had to cheese the AI by building up a 100 damage construct and then slapping it on one of those jetpack guys. Otherwise one of their commanders just instakilled the damn thing with its ability whenever it stuck out its nose. But it was kinda hilarious to see turn after turn of the enemy wasting 8 resources on trying to hit a dude sitting in the support zone.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 05:22:05 pm by cerapa »

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 05:27:27 pm »

Screens look cool might give it a try, one of the bigest complains i have with hearthstone its the art quality, i know its not a huge deal gameplay wise but its one of the things that got me into magic.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 05:40:27 pm »

All the cards are animated too.

There's one dragon card whose animation is immolating a constant stream of wolfmen charging at it.

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 06:57:59 pm »

Went through tutorial and want to play more but  "Playable" on the launcher is bit misleading. Mechanics look solid so far and it looks pretty.
Will say more after i play with it a bit more.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 09:50:57 pm »

Downloading now. I like the idea of TCGs, but I just haven't found a good one... Playing IRL just seems like a money-dump to me, and I don't have the funds for it right now. I've tried Scrolls, but it just didn't click. So let's see how this one does.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 10:30:14 pm »

I'll give it a whirl, pvp is too stressful for me to play hearthstone more a few matches a day, so a game that I can progress in somewhat without having to face other players is something worth looking at.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 10:43:20 pm »

I like the mechanics better than Hearthstone, but it did freeze on my after I won the second battle. Seems a bit rough on the edges but has potentials. And Flame Dawn cards look really awesome!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Teremus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 12:32:56 am »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Teremus, Community Manager for Infinity Wars. Every now and then I just like to see what people are saying about Infinity Wars, and I was brought to this forum by the magic of the interwebs to see what's going on.

There will not be a reset of anything player related prior to the full launch. Only leaderboards/MMR will be wiped to make everything an even playing field.

Downloaded it. Took it out for a spin. Seems quite fun in theory.

I just have a tiny problem that when I win a game it just sits there and says that it's resolving the turn. So I can't actually play the game.

If this continues, could you please e-mail us at Support@lightmare.com.au so we can help you out personally? We have also provided a Bug Report board on our forums, a Report Bug option on our website, and you can get in contact with us easily through the contact form of our website.

You guys will see me plenty in-game, we like to interact with our players. You can also be a part of our forums if you so choose, we're a rather friendly community. We're getting ready to launch on Steam, push out the third set of cards in Infestation, and start focusing on fixing bugs and polishing the game.

See you on the battlefield!

Teremus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 08:18:58 pm »

Also forgot to say thanks, OtherPlayers. Good to see our users enjoying Infinity Wars so much.  8)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6