Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Infinity Wars - TCG [NOW ON STEAM]  (Read 18276 times)

Teremus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Wars - Free, Animated TCG [BETA]
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2014, 11:37:38 pm »

Name is Teremus*  ;D

Yeah that's something we'd like to offer as part of Forging, Rez. There would be some kind of option that would be obtainable to un-soulbind something. There's no information I can provide on any of that yet as we're just simply not at that phase to start planning that feature out. It's definitely something we'd like to have in the game, there's just a lot higher priorities right at this time for us to talk about that.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2014, 02:55:28 pm »

Just wanted to drop this here for anyone who is grinding bots for cash (fighting players is better of course; but sometimes you just need some easy money when only the top players are online :P). The amount of IP and XP that you gain from a game scales with the amount of turns the game goes, with the maximum being on turn 10 IIRC. Since bot speed is only limited by yours, stall decks can end up making much more in the long run. One particularly good deck I've found for it is 40 invincible defenders with Daode, The glorious strategist, and a glorious warrior as commanders, which can pull a late win like that off against the flame dawn bit pretty regularly (with only two more rare cards).

That said I highly suggest taking on players once you feel you can, even if you lose you make the same as a bot game. If you check out the infinity wars forum deck building board Adorabear has a few threads titled "X for noobs" that provide some fairly useable decks for some factions that can almost always be thrown together from campaign wins.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2014, 07:14:03 pm »

The problem I generally have with TCG's/CCG's is that they just offer the cards for cash.
While I realize that they need to make money, this completely devalues any worth the cards would have for someone who had to work their way up to those same cards. This is why I generally avoid games that have in-game stores of any kind, unless they explicitly state that its cosmetics only.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2014, 08:05:15 pm »

The problem I generally have with TCG's/CCG's is that they just offer the cards for cash.
While I realize that they need to make money, this completely devalues any worth the cards would have for someone who had to work their way up to those same cards. This is why I generally avoid games that have in-game stores of any kind, unless they explicitly state that its cosmetics only.

I wish somebody would make a good subscription or just a base cost CCG.  I could see myself parting with 5 dollars a month or something for a fun, fair and competitive game.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Teremus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2014, 08:18:26 pm »

I apologize you feel that way. Perhaps when you see a game that does it properly through design of the cards rather than a business model, you'll feel differently. A simple concept that not many people in this industry understand has been buried underneath the desire to become rich. Pay To Win is about design, not money. Players associate it with money because of terrible design concepts other companies have implemented. When rarity = power, money becomes more valuable. When rarity = uniqueness and synergy, money only accelerates your collection and cannot give you the ability to win.

I wish somebody would make a good subscription or just a base cost CCG.  I could see myself parting with 5 dollars a month or something for a fun, fair and competitive game.

You don't even need to spend a single cent to have fun or be competitive. We're getting new players constantly and after they've played the game for about a week they're all saying the exact same thing. They were never pressured. Give the game a shot before making these kinds of assertions. We do all we can to make a fun, fair, and competitive game that you never have to spend a dime on. If you choose to support us, we thank you, otherwise enjoy what we're doing for absolutely free and interact with our community.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:22:01 pm by Teremus »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2014, 09:02:50 pm »

Yeah sorry, not buying it.   :P 

I don't really care if its a little pay to win or completely pay to win.  Its not a model I ever want to support.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Teremus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2014, 02:13:22 am »

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. You either understand our model or you don't, if you don't like it you don't like it. We're here to make a video game, not get rich.

Have a good one bud.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2014, 10:46:04 am »

Heh, don't worry about him :D Some of us are just happy to get to try new cool games, and then decide whether we want to invest more on it or not :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2014, 11:34:49 am »

The closest you are EVER going to get is Wizardry 101

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Wars - TCG [NOW ON STEAM]
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2014, 01:40:31 pm »

And the steam release is out, which should help with the player numbers a fair bit.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2014, 03:51:35 pm »

flame dawn mono is trashhhh

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2014, 05:03:21 pm »

Flame dawn mono is an all or nothing gamble for rush and win or death, yeah. It's not impossible to win with it, but it's much easier if you add a splash of something else to give them some more control or a better late game.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2014, 05:25:17 pm »

It's not even good early though.  If the opponent has literally anything to stall with or, god forbid, verore ability cards, you will lose.  If you're rushing with a single faction deck, you're better off taking warpath or even sleepers.

Speaking of verore ability cards.  Are there going to be commander cards that let me stack 40 lightning blasts?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2014, 02:18:33 am »

The closest you could get is probably the Verore Aleta, who's ability is fairly similar to a lightning bolt. (Short of the omni promotional Na'vi, who can't be used in ranked matches).

As for solo flame dawn, yeah, which is why for flame dawn rushes you generally throw in a bit of Verore for a little more control, a bit of warpath for some tank, a bit of DoD for health buffs, or a bit of genesis for big buffs (a 60/60 paladin that is immune to death effects is terrifying). Generally I find FD as less a faction that you build a deck around and more as a faction to provide early game pressure while you obtain your actual win conditions.

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2014, 07:11:05 am »

Reporting back after a couple days of playing. Either I'm really darn lucky (probably not), or the booster packs gained by leveling up are very generous. I've got a lot of powerful cards which are capable of having a deck built around it and/or serve as win conditions, a brief explanation for people not playing the game:

- Call the Warpath: 14 mana epic ability, puts ALL the beasts characters you have in your deck into play. All of them. Personal record is 273 damage to the enemy fort in one attack (max fort health is 100), although people without answer cards usually just concede on the spot. :P
- Veroria, the Lone Keep: 6 mana rare location, only one enemy character without flying may attack you each turn. You lose 4 morale each turn. Except for specific cases, this means that you can just ignore the attacking enemy cards or toss a chump blocker to stop almost all of the damage from the enemy. I use this with a bunch of flying cards so that they can't hit me, and they can't stop me from hitting them either. Super annoying and extremely fun.

Now I admit I'm making the cards sound a lot better than they actually are, but I hope people can see the combo potential and silly hijinks you can pull with these. There are some hilarious stuff you can do even just with the starter cards - Weld a robot into a infectious zombie, stick him in the defense zone and watch as the entire enemy attacking force become yours the next turn! Although they'll be a bit messed up due to minor things like, well, getting their brains eaten by rampaging nanobots and replaced with HIVEMIND CPU.

I'm at around 50% winrate in constructed, and I've just played for something like a week or so right now. No real world money spent as of yet either (although I'm considering it as soon as Steam wallet gets fixed), so I guess I take back my initial comments on the game being a hard grind and PvP for newbies being a complete mess. It may seem like I'm praising the game a lot, and I'm in no way affiliated with IW or anything, but I strongly recommend people interested in TCGs and especially those who find Hearthstone not complex enough to give this game a try. Its a lot better once one sits down and studies the game for a while.

Finally a tip from noob me to other newbies: Although you start out with basically none of the power cards, finishing the campaigns will give you a handful of factionless answer cards: Graveyard destruction, land destruction, creaturekill, targeted direct damage, AoE damage. Pack a LOT of these into your early decks, and you can easily capitalize on overconfident and overextending opponents. I'm not saying that you'll be on equal footing with the other guy, but you can often give them quite a run for their money by just playing carefully, and remembering the classic TCG principles like card advantage and board control. Worked for me. :D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6