Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Infinity Wars - TCG [NOW ON STEAM]  (Read 18280 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Wars - Free, Animated TCG [BETA]
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 09:03:05 pm »

Also forgot to say thanks, OtherPlayers. Good to see our users enjoying Infinity Wars so much.  8)
No problem, it's an awesome game. :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 02:20:31 am »

It's pretty cool.  The simultaneous turns thing is interesting and refreshing; I've been a little sore lately about new innovations being wasted (Chromebooks means you can give every student in a school a nice computer for cheap, all that changes is he types his essay instead of writing it), and it's cool to see the medium being leveraged in an interesting way.

So far I like Genesis Industries the most.  As the above suggests, I like the factions that utilize some of the unique mechanics more than the standard factions.  Avarrach or whatever is pretty bog standard zombie recycle as far as I can tell, I hate those decks.  Flame Dawn is momentum-based aggro, using constant pressure to keep the enemy on the defensive rather than using strong defense yourself.  Dragondudes is pretty cool, heavily defense-based decks that grind the enemy's morale down.  Genesis Industries has an infinite supply of weak drones that revive each other, along with abilities and cards that sacrifice units to buff other units. 

The command thing mentioned in the OP is cool.  When you design your deck you pick three units to sit in the command section of the board.  You can use their abilities from inside the command board or play them directly from it, skipping the normal summoning sickness.  Genesis Industries for example, I have a drone in there to ensure I never accidentally kill all my drones and lose them, a constructor to sacrifice and combine, and an overloaded soldier to steadily buff and drop into support for maximum overdrive as soon as I draw an extended operation or whatever.

Shoes...

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 05:30:03 pm »

Enjoyed this as well.  Has the same arena run thing hearthstone does.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 05:48:23 pm »

Yes, and it's not as boiled down as hearthstone is.  Hearthstone's a lot of fun but it's pretty must chemist-grade distilled CCG.  At some point it almost feels like a multiplayer math puzzle and once you've solved the puzzle (my warlock aggro deck won about 9/10 games, most of those handily once I learned to play it optimally) it's kind of a chore.
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 09:19:16 pm »

I, too, am having a lot of fun with this. I dropped Magic back in secondary school and I've been looking for a replacement ever since, and IW seems to have everything I want. You guys are innovating in all the good ways: fresh mechanics, an art style that takes advantage of the medium, and a good F2P model.

Actually, I'm enjoying Genesis a lot myself, Cthulhu. There's just a ton of potential for mechanics abuse there, and I think it may actually be a better morale faction than the one designed to abuse morale.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 11:12:30 pm »

Had a terrible time trying to play. Needs a lot of balance work. Trying to play with basic starter cards made me physically ill despite me taking the first two days I played to beat the entire singleplayer campaign. Which, by the way, didn't even give me enough money to buy a booster pack, and mostly gave me more duplicates. Head is killing me.

TL;DR
Boosters too expensive in IP, Boosters from levelup gave me 90% the starter cards I already had 3 copies of, Switch them to collection boosters instead of IW2013 or whatever boosters. Don't want to play Draft or whatever, or merged, I want to play games with a deck I've made, that's nearly the entire point of TCG, and right now the starter decks are too crappy and new cards take too long to get. 3 days of play and I managed to buy 1 booster pack. 1. Singular.

Also, the lack of players means you often get matched with the same people who stomp you over and over and over. Just compounds the problem. A lot of players with the same crappy cards I had would probably have made it less painful.

God my head is killing me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 12:53:39 am »

I concur about boosters being too expensive. On the other bits, though, I think it's to be expected--the game's in beta, and there's a very slim card selection. I'm planning on just playing bot games until I have a rare or two for my deck. OTOH, a lucky draw or two can eliminate enemy rares and epics very easily with Assassinate.

3. Run Resize Enable

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 01:14:23 am »

I'm pretty much going to agree with what's said above. I also think the gap between AI players and human players is a bit wide... I realize that's a stupidly-difficult problem to solve, and I don't really expect AI players to match good humans, but there's just something inherently discouraging about being able to stomp AI players with a deck, then going to PvP and getting stomped. I can't tell if the problem is my skills (or lack there-of) or if the deck is fundamentally flawed and I'm just scraping by because the AI sucks.

I do really like the game, though. I'm currently leaning towards Warpath, but that may change as I get more used to other factions. Major kudos for actually having factions with distinct gameplay, too.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 01:22:44 am »

I will agree that having somebody else to play with early on can be a big help. That said the beginning card thing should hopefully be solved once the game actually finishes getting themselves set up on steam, since there is a fairly good matchmaking algorithm, it's just the playerbase is so small right now that it can't operate too well. Once more players come in it should automatically become much easier to play against players at approximately your level.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 05:42:36 pm »

The AI is definitely derpy. I think the best thing I've seen so far was the one that decided it would be smart to start playing 0/20 golems in the assault box.

3. Run Resize Enable

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 05:52:37 pm »

I've been having issues with the AI just blatantly cheating. In one of the Cult of Verore missions you fight a Sleepers of Avarach deck who uses mass death. And once I used burning prejudice (or whatever the card is that sends all unit of the same name back to the support zones and then exhausts them) where the AI just sent out his dudes next turn whereas my dudes of that name had to sit in the support box.

It's kinda funny actually.

Edit: Also I'm sorta interested in playing the dragon dudes campaign. But I'm not sure how you are suppose to actually play them once you get past the first three missions and no longer have access to the sage that gives them +0/+3. Since your defenders no longer. Actually. You know. Work.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:54:23 pm by Criptfeind »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 06:44:55 pm »

Edit: Also I'm sorta interested in playing the dragon dudes campaign. But I'm not sure how you are suppose to actually play them once you get past the first three missions and no longer have access to the sage that gives them +0/+3. Since your defenders no longer. Actually. You know. Work.

Having been (slowly) playing through the dragon dudes campaign I can say this does force a change in tactics. Without proper healing I've found careful juggling of cards, judicious use of tech knights/other neutrals, and knowing when to shift from defense to offense. The last few campaign levels I beat devolved into a race for who can break the other's base first once the enemy starts fielding their heavy guns. Alternatively, mixing some flame legion folks into your deck for some needed offensive power might be a temporary measure...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 06:57:35 pm »

DoD works without Daode, you just need to be a little more strategic.  Defense drones, glorious warriors, strategic offense with balanced warriors, it's doable.  Remember you also have the cheap spell cards which replicate the sage powers.  Some of the later missions are stupid hard, Avarrach is a bullshit faction overall I think.  Every time I play them something annoying and stupid happens.  Zombie recycle is a stupid deck archetype and always has been, not least because it feels like god damn everyone plays it.

I agree that Genesis is ripe for exploitation.  I've been playing around with the idea of a DoD/Genesis deck that uses mass spam of Unending Drones and Invincible Defenders.  Still working through some of the issues, one big one is that you pretty much have to draw perfectly for it to work.  When you get the right cards at the right time it's pretty much impossible to break your defense before the enemy's morale is gone, but if you get a drought of either of your unlimited cards you crash and burn.  Also people tend to just stop attacking you and pursue other routes, and I'm still looking at ways of dealing with that (Meditating monk commander, glorious warriors, balanced warriors with defense golems etc.). 

It's a stupid gimmick deck, but when it works it's pretty funny.  Invincible Defenders indeed.  I crashed my client once against a Sleepers (what else?) deck.  It was a clash of the ages, immovable object vs immovable object.  When he realized he was never gonna break my defense he went full defensive with his zombie horde I went on the offensive, splattering my infinite supply of drones across the rest of my infinite supply of drones, constantly refreshing them and switching them so he couldn't predict who to use patient zero on.  Eventually there were so many colossal cards on the table the client crashed.  70/70 drone, multiple 30+ warriors, but since he had infinite zombies I couldn't really do anything and then he pulled some awful bullshit cards out (Delete avarrach) that would've definitely lost me the game had it not crashed.

Biggest issue with genesis, and a pretty big one seriously, is that drones are useless without secluded constructors, and pretty much every half-decent deck has a way of killing your constructors.

I've also thought about how to use tech knights with drones.  You can easily heal them and since they're unlimited too you can keep swapping them in and out.  Hmmm.
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 07:40:28 pm »

The key against Sleepers decks when playing Genesis are your flying attackers. You can also fuck a lot of their revive mechanics (especially the special characters that auto-return from the graveyard) with judicious application of graverobber. Actually, one combo I'm looking at is Genesis/whatever the purple-themed magic-centric faction is; they both orient around buffs, and the two types synergize really well (buff your drones to kill a bunch of enemies, which in turn buffs your cultists), as well as giving you a ton of targeted and table-clearing spells, all of which work well for setting up graverobber combos. I even got lucky with one of my levelup boosters and drew an epic which (IIRC) removes every character on the board from the game. Let your Sleeper opponent build up his massive stack of zombies while you have nothing but a single hyperbuffed defender out, then nuke them all.

Really, there's a ton of options right now for shutting down the setups which require a certain, special character, which is why Genesis is good: they don't need anything but a Secluded Constructor and a pair of drones to start building a monster.

But yeah, tip: Have a Wealthy Noble in your command area. First turn you can move him into the support zone to buff your resources from the very start.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 09:06:23 pm »

I've been using a Genesis/Verore deck for the campaign and it's working pretty well. I usually just buff up a flying guy to attack, while continuously buffing a tank in the defense zone. My Verore commander is a battlefield scavenger that I get out once I have my tank set up for extra card draw, and if I'm lucky I get some wealthy nobles early to give me the resources to use my card draw. Otherwise it's mostly bots for combining and flying guys, with a bit of creature removal. Works decently against the campaign AI, although decks with creature removal get annoying.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6