Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: We all hate elves...  (Read 4815 times)

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We all hate elves...
« on: January 30, 2014, 11:19:43 am »

... But it's the humans who are actually REALLY fucked up. Look at what they sold me in the last trade (highlighted):

This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We all hate elves...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:32:15 am »

Lol. It's prepared giant cockatiel something, but yeah, funny

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:54:02 am »

But I don't hate elves. ???

Midas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 01:22:20 pm »

Urist McGourmet has been ecstatic lately. He enjoyed a truly decadent meal lately.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 03:50:14 pm »

Likewise. That is now less a running gag than a limping gag, especially now that the elves bring stuff that's actually useful.

Mind you, I learned to appreciate them back in 40d when I discovered how ridiculously profitable the clothing industry is.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 11:48:17 pm »

Likewise. That is now less a running gag than a limping gag, especially now that the elves bring stuff that's actually useful.

Mind you, I learned to appreciate them back in 40d when I discovered how ridiculously profitable the clothing industry is.
GUYS
GUYS
I'M SO MAD YOU HAVE NO IDEA

I always kill Elves. Every time, since they're the weakest and easiest race to kill, they have good loot, like animals and wood, it can take a really long while for them to actually declare war on you, and when they do, their ambushes add a healthy amount of challenge to the game. Plus, they provide good training for your militia, and I've always hated elves in general, and letting them get chopped up is very satisfying.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:57:57 pm »

People shouldn't hate elves. People should be terrified of them! Remember? How elves were maniacal savage flesh eating warriors who overwhelmed their enemies through sheer weight in numbers, and then devoured them?

Elves aren't wimps.

At any rate, it took a good three minutes of staring to understand what the post was getting at. I was all "Is it... is it because they're accepting panda bones? As trade goods"

I am clueless.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 03:06:41 am »

People shouldn't hate elves. People should be terrified of them! Remember? How elves were maniacal savage flesh eating warriors who overwhelmed their enemies through sheer weight in numbers, and then devoured them?

Elves aren't wimps.

I have seen The Age of Elves in the legends. I have seen elves backstab their human allies and raze their towns to ground. I have seen them strangle dwarven civilizations with their bobcats and elephants.

Really, elves are probably the most effctive race in what comes to war in world gen. All those elephants are just damn invincible soldiers.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 03:18:48 am »

I actually only hate elves just because. There is no reason to, but I still do it.
And it takes 50x more time to get them to siege you, than to make their caravans actually useful.

*topic*
Urist McCook has been unhappy lately
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 02:05:21 pm »

they have good loot, like animals and wood,
Just buy them. T_T

Wood is about the cheapest thing you can buy, and even the giant animals aren't that expensive. Killing the caravan gets you the good loot, plus the bad (wooden armour and oversized clothing? No thanks), plus the corpses, plus any body parts severed in the process.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Midas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 02:49:03 pm »

Elves sold me a giant desert scorpion and giant eagle once (and I managed to capture a pair to them, breeding is a really fun thing), so there's no obvious reason to hate them for me. Yes, endless "no chopping, you monster" and extra care in trading can be annoying, but hey, spring caravan can save your ass with enormous amounts of wood and take away tons of stinky socks.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 03:47:45 pm »

Actually Elves are pretty cool and in the Next release they will probably kick arse.
Imagine Masterwork Wooden Swords that actually can be as good as steel? Well , that could be possible if Toady have fixed the elves :)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 03:50:51 pm »

Also don't forget Cacame.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 08:26:38 pm »

Wow, greed has corrupted your pride guys; the old idols have fallen, and replaced with false wooden ones. Why don't you just play as elves if you love them so much.

That said, I let elves live, as long as they don't refuse to trade. If they do at any point (or, alternatively, if their modded-in trade diplomat dies), then the whole contingent is slaughtered and their goods seized (not necessarily in that order). The game isn't just economic after all, it's fun ordering my dwarves to attack easy targets; civilians especially.  I am an overlord, let me be a tyrant damnit. I long for the day I can pillage Elven forests.
*on topic*
Your dwarves eat brain and heart on a regular basis, get over it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Tiresais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 05:00:54 am »

All elves are fodder to the Great ARMOK.

They're annoying for the number of clicks I need to do to avoid wooden bins...
Pages: [1] 2 3