Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2198 2199 [2200] 2201 2202 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2497586 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #32985 on: March 09, 2017, 08:07:53 pm »

Altered wars era proto-HMRC. The ship would be a refurbished cargo hauler, not a warship, as all of those would be redirected to fighting the altered. Much more focus on the Hazardous Materials Requisition part of the job, given there's a war going on.

Basically, find alien can openers to hopefully throw at the mutated humans eating the universe. And you don't get any orbital bombardment to bail you out.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:09:48 pm by Egan_BW »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32986 on: March 09, 2017, 08:10:38 pm »

I would vote a non-ER system.  ER had a great ending; let's let it sleep.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32987 on: March 09, 2017, 08:18:25 pm »

To be fair, I'm mostly interested in what AO would do with it. More PW ER is inherently less interesting than new PW stuff, but I would like to see what happens when ER gets a new style, so to speak.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32988 on: March 09, 2017, 08:40:00 pm »

Fair.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32989 on: March 09, 2017, 10:03:43 pm »

Fair.
Now that would be a new style for sure, but let's not go crazy here. :P

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32990 on: March 09, 2017, 10:05:06 pm »

I dunno, ER set in the past would likely be neat.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #32991 on: March 09, 2017, 10:16:12 pm »

Fully agreeing with this despite me being silent in the later years (It's because of issues :/ and login stuff because of those issues)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32992 on: March 09, 2017, 10:32:28 pm »

* Toaster e-hugs Tiruin

To be fair, I'm mostly interested in what AO would do with it. More PW ER is inherently less interesting than new PW stuff, but I would like to see what happens when ER gets a new style, so to speak.

Yeah, that's a fair point.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32993 on: March 10, 2017, 01:22:45 am »

That only serves to motivate me. Like "I'll show you I can do it"".
Well in that case.

"Just give up aoshi. This is beyond you. The updates, the whining players, the time and effort. You have better things to do than dangling some shiny keys in front of ungrateful internet strangers to distract them from contemplating the specter of creeping death with fantasy and escapism.

Few things sadder than a game that doesn't know an end, its characters forever stuck in limbo. Better not to risk it."

You think I can't do it?! That's it! I'll show you! I'll show everyone! I will make the most glorious HMRC where nobody lives long enough to make through ten missions! Guts and chunks of meat will paint hangar and infirmary red! Rec room will burn in hellfire! Nobody but Feyri hangs around barracks anyway so I will leave it alone.

Dunno if it really would be that much different. Different time, different NPCs, sure, perhaps mix of old and new stats/skills.

Fully agreeing with this despite me being silent in the later years (It's because of issues :/ and login stuff because of those issues)

Define ER system for me.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32994 on: March 10, 2017, 09:34:42 am »

Define ER system for me.

Sarcasm, failure, and death in space.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32995 on: March 10, 2017, 10:41:40 am »

Define ER system for me.

Infinite chaotic successes that make things worse for outsiders every time you win, with a heavy leavening of endless rewards.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32996 on: March 10, 2017, 03:20:15 pm »

Sarcasm, failure, and death in space.

Sounds more like ER spirit for me.

I suppose I should start figuring things out and wonder if I'm completely out of my mind.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32997 on: March 11, 2017, 12:45:45 am »

Frankly, I'd rather not see ER revived in any form (even in prequel form), especially not by someone who isn't Piecewise.  The story is over and done with, so anything being added to that is just gonna feel like indulgent fanfiction, and that's if it's done well.  I doubt I'd join.

That said, I'd love to run Tinker for you, if you decide to have it.  It was great running Tinker for Piecewise, though it only lasted for a short time period sadly.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32998 on: March 11, 2017, 08:43:09 am »

Frankly, I'd rather not see ER revived in any form (even in prequel form), especially not by someone who isn't Piecewise.  The story is over and done with, so anything being added to that is just gonna feel like indulgent fanfiction, and that's if it's done well.  I doubt I'd join.

That said, I'd love to run Tinker for you, if you decide to have it.  It was great running Tinker for Piecewise, though it only lasted for a short time period sadly.

"I care too much about ER's legacy to be enthusiastic about it, but not enough not to apply for the part I liked the most."  :P

Either way, it might not be a bad idea to consider not actually setting it in ER's universe itself, but to go for a more spiritual successor. You wouldn't be chained to the existing lore and tropes, but could still go for the same general feel and style. And things like dangerous magics that look like technology but aren't and backfire horribly from time to time can easily be had in some other form.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32999 on: March 11, 2017, 09:15:24 am »

Except spiritual successors feel more like a poor copies. ER universe is large, there's a plenty of space and time for new games. Like this one idea I had; a cyberpunk vigilantism suggestion game, where "players" would essentially be watching future equivalent of twitch stream of transhumanist on mission to fuck cyborg criminals while hoarding money, programs, implants and other equipment from both enemies and watchers on a planet that has recently reconnected with UWM. There would be a plenty of familiar equipment and history, as well as plenty of new stuff.

In the end there's opinions both for and against, so what's a man gonna do about it? Whatever I want, probably. ER veterans are happy to let burning corpse of the beast rest, where as newcomers who didn't get their chance to shine may happily welcome the resurrection.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 2198 2199 [2200] 2201 2202 ... 2205