Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2171 2172 [2173] 2174 2175 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2496825 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #32580 on: September 18, 2016, 09:24:43 pm »

Loin cloths you say?! I am Lorth! Lord of Loin Cloths! Fear my many Loins of cloth!
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32581 on: September 18, 2016, 10:44:17 pm »

you are missing a starting equipment set up. do we just build a naked human, who then gets dumped into oro to wrestle spiky skinned, giant toothed, massive, speed demons for their loincloths?

you say that 200 points is a little low, but will be modified by limbs. how does the starting human body modify stats?

have you anything developed, like tools and weapons, other than the body mod process of sticking evil onto ourselves?
Yeah, I'm missing stuff because this is just the very basic set up for how the body building works.

It's a little low but each arm will give a good strength bonus and each leg will give a good speed bonus.

weapons are fairly easy things, but tools I don't have much designed yet.

As per stuff you can do that doesn't involve injecting evil into yourself...I think you may have the wrong frame of mind here

Can I help with the testing, PW?
Definitely want to help with testing, if I can.
Sure!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32582 on: September 19, 2016, 11:59:17 am »

So one thing related to tools and weapons and even parts is elemental stuff. Part of having different parts is versatility, but for versatility to mean something, there needs to be situations when one type of thing means more than others.  Why choose a fire sword over an ice sword if they both do 20 damage?

So there are two ways to do this: Weakness/Strength style and Status Effect style.

Weakness/strength style is the old Pokemon style of having each creature have a certain element or elements associated with it and then having weaknesses and strengths based off those elements. Ie, Ice elemental is weak to fire. Very simple.

The status effect style is where different elements have different status effects associated with them. Ie fire weapons might do minimal instant damage but burn for continuous HP damage over time. And then you have certain enemies that are immune to these effects or weak to them. Ie An iron golem is immune to Burning, but an Ice elemental takes double damage from it.

The first is a more simple method, with easy and predictable damage multiplication, but requires the creation of a set of elements and their relations.

The second is a bit more complex but might have more tactical implications, such as using poison to kill otherwise very tough enemies or debuffing critters. But it might be hard to balance due to people being creative in their stat effect mixing.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32583 on: September 19, 2016, 01:16:38 pm »

I like the status effect idea more. It feels more like something that would exist naturally inside of ORO, instead of pokemon style monsters and attacks. Although I am saying this about a game where you can trade out body parts, so...
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32584 on: September 19, 2016, 02:54:42 pm »

I like the status effect idea more. It feels more like something that would exist naturally inside of ORO, instead of pokemon style monsters and attacks. Although I am saying this about a game where you can trade out body parts, so...
It's the one I'm leaning towards,honestly.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32585 on: September 19, 2016, 03:13:19 pm »

Yeah, status effect feel better to me. Namely in that they actually give weapons and such some... character, I guess you could say? Much more so than just a flat bonus.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32586 on: September 19, 2016, 03:38:33 pm »

+1 to status effect. I think having a natural and organic development of "this kind of limb is resistant to thiat kind of effect" would work too, just based on  some common sense or reasonable deductions. i.e "his arm is made of a highly conductive metal, and he has one end grounded, so the lightning rod that hits it discharges, and the energy gets dispersed into the ground." or the like.

and I wasn't being derogatory when I said we were sticking evil into ourselves. Just noting that "sticking evil/toxin/corrosion onto ourselves (thereby reducing our humanity at least a bit) was the only way to get strength, and the basic starting package so far leaves starting humans pretty vulnerable. Only asking because you mentioned getting started on some test games after people had a chance to look at the rule sheet. I figured pointing out that the rule sheet was incomplete for even getting started on test games was fair, if a bit obvious.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32587 on: September 19, 2016, 03:42:35 pm »

Why don't you use Wu Xing? One element destroys another and generates third.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32588 on: September 19, 2016, 04:32:35 pm »

That seems familiar, reminds me of a certain lizardy trek. Or was it a paper on a lizard's treck overs some rocks avoiding sizzors?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32589 on: September 19, 2016, 04:57:20 pm »

rock paper scisors ... rock paper lizard spock ...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #32590 on: September 19, 2016, 05:00:48 pm »

+1 to this, could also include the elemental actions such as cutting for metal and crushing for stone
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32591 on: September 19, 2016, 07:47:17 pm »

Here's a break down of starter human bits

Human Head (50 HP, +20 Int)
Human Chest (70 HP +10 Heart)
Human Gut (50 HP +10 Heart)
Human Upper Leg (50 HP, +10 Speed)
Human Lower Leg (30 HP, +10 Speed)
Human Foot (15 HP, +5 Speed)
Human Upper Arm (50 HP +10 Strength)
Human Lower Arm (30 HP +10 Strength)
Human hand (15 HP, [Grasp] [End])

+1 to status effect. I think having a natural and organic development of "this kind of limb is resistant to thiat kind of effect" would work too, just based on  some common sense or reasonable deductions. i.e "his arm is made of a highly conductive metal, and he has one end grounded, so the lightning rod that hits it discharges, and the energy gets dispersed into the ground." or the like.

and I wasn't being derogatory when I said we were sticking evil into ourselves. Just noting that "sticking evil/toxin/corrosion onto ourselves (thereby reducing our humanity at least a bit) was the only way to get strength, and the basic starting package so far leaves starting humans pretty vulnerable. Only asking because you mentioned getting started on some test games after people had a chance to look at the rule sheet. I figured pointing out that the rule sheet was incomplete for even getting started on test games was fair, if a bit obvious.
I'll get to the starting equipment after I create the equipment~

I do like Ushio To Tora...Hakumen was a really good villain...

And the Wu xing IS a pretty neat system for magic because it has all the relationships built in, but alas, I don't think it works in this context. Mainly because creation and destruction isn't the focus here. If you cut a fire demon with a water sword, the fact that it makes ash (earth) doesn't really matter unless it turns the limb to earth and that...oh that gets weird and complex. And a little Ax cop like.

Later...later.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32592 on: September 19, 2016, 08:09:18 pm »

so the body provides:
20 int
20 heart
50 spd
40 str

I was going to list a total hp, but I guess, since it's not cumulative, it doesn't matter.

so if I put 15 in spd, 20 in str, 65 in int, and 100 in heart, I'd come out, as a basic human to
85 int
120 heart
65 spd
65 str

I could probably raise str and spd 5 or ten points, and knock down heart 10 or 20 and be relatively satisfied

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32593 on: September 19, 2016, 08:20:37 pm »

Can... can we please use Oz's third image?  I suddenly have a great desire to become a cat/toilet elemental, and wreck all the devil-types of Oro with a double type advantage.

Oz, you only get stat benefit from a single limb at a time, at least when attacking or dodging.  Interestingly, since ranged weapons use speed rather than strength, a high-speed character is best off swapping one of their feet with one of their hands.  Then they dodge with their befooted leg, and shoot guns with the other one.  Doesn't even have any humanity penalties!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32594 on: September 19, 2016, 08:32:36 pm »

Yeah, thats an important thing to remember: You only get bonuses from limbs you're currently using. Its a bit weird since for dodging that means you effectively dodge with one leg and for attacking you only use one arm, but it's built like that because of the more complex stuff that can happen later on. Otherwise you might get really weird stat abusing like someone grabbing the sword with all 4 limbs and swinging it to get max damage buffs.
Pages: 1 ... 2171 2172 [2173] 2174 2175 ... 2205