Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2162 2163 [2164] 2165 2166 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2497074 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #32445 on: September 11, 2016, 02:50:41 pm »

And the powers of the nonaltered humans?
Hmm. Well they'd regen humanity very rapidly compared to other more demoned up people. So if there were, say, horrible demon artifacts that could be used like magic wands or something, they could probably use them faster than others due to regenerating the humanity faster.

As people get deeper in and kill more creatures, it unlocks a book full of demon parts to choose at spawn instead of having to gather as you go though.
Alarms with "syv" written on them began to flash when I heard this bit. Otherwise, love it!
Eh. Sy breaks everything and I am bad at balancing. If it gets bad I'll rebalance it. The problem with ER was it had no numbers to tweak. If you have numbers to tweak, you can fix things.

oh hey, stupid question: How does one replace their head, exactly?

"Don't second guess magic."
Alternatively

Alternatively alternatively

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32446 on: September 11, 2016, 02:56:46 pm »

alternatively alternatively alternatively, torso mods involve less replacing the whole thing and more melting magic shit down and reforging them as nails, then hammering those suckers into your ribs.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32447 on: September 11, 2016, 03:01:07 pm »

Demon artifacts would be neat. Although they'd probably have to be really draining and/or rare since you basically get the best of both worlds.

You could probably have a sort of halfway point by just using the hand or something, too. Net result is a less powerful and customizable ability, but you'd be able to use it more often without running the risk of getting corrupted.

alternatively alternatively alternatively, torso mods involve less replacing the whole thing and more melting magic shit down and reforging them as nails, then hammering those suckers into your ribs.

There are probably slime demons and stuff where that would be tricky. But, as with many other things, where there's a will there's a way.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32448 on: September 11, 2016, 03:03:26 pm »

This doesn't fix the problem.  What's to stop someone from listing off the exact 300 items that count as "generic electronics" and can be combined into a death star?  Yes, it makes large assemblies more tedious to make, but it doesn't actually make them any less unbalancing.

Also, if rare items "cost" multiples of a category, does that mean I can trade twenty steel bars for one adamantine bar?

I was addressing the specific point that having an enormous parts list would be tedious, while using generic categories would be boring (according to pw). Wasn't talking about the balancing, not to mention that if it uses real world parts and tech, you won't be making death stars anyway. At best you get a killdozer or something. That said, if someone manages somehow to gather 300 parts and not get mercilessly raided in the process, I'd say they've rather earned whatever OP shit they can build with it.

You wouldn't ever actually get 20 steel bars, you always scavenge resource category points anyway. Very abstract, of course, but it's an option that would do away with some tedium. But it seems the prospective game has switched gears already anyways, so eh.

Eh. Sy breaks everything and I am bad at balancing. If it gets bad I'll rebalance it. The problem with ER was it had no numbers to tweak. If you have numbers to tweak, you can fix things.

Maybe have the secret hammering committee be fun police from the start this time so it won't have to fix something thoroughly broken.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32449 on: September 11, 2016, 03:26:29 pm »

Maybe have the secret hammering committee be fun police from the start this time so it won't have to fix something thoroughly broken.
Irascible police chief RC spends another night at his desk, drinking scotch and muttering about munchkins.

Demon artifacts would be neat. Although they'd probably have to be really draining and/or rare since you basically get the best of both worlds.

You could probably have a sort of halfway point by just using the hand or something, too. Net result is a less powerful and customizable ability, but you'd be able to use it more often without running the risk of getting corrupted.

There are probably slime demons and stuff where that would be tricky. But, as with many other things, where there's a will there's a way.
Yeah; really we might just say that if you wanna play, you gotta be ok with at least EATING the demons. Because not using magic is fine and all, just use weapons. But not leveling up would make your life very hard indeed.

Nah, fuck that. You just replace your head with a demon head.  There's an ocean of oil with a beach of bolts where demons worship the ghosts of derelict ships. Me replacing my head with a burning tire or whatever isn't that weird.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32450 on: September 11, 2016, 03:27:52 pm »

An ocean of oil? Is it also on fire? I can't imagine it'd stop once it started going at some time in the past.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32451 on: September 11, 2016, 03:38:02 pm »

Nah, fuck that. You just replace your head with a demon head.  There's an ocean of oil with a beach of bolts where demons worship the ghosts of derelict ships. Me replacing my head with a burning tire or whatever isn't that weird.
http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-4-76/
Look at that guy. Jagganoth. He forged iron feathers into nails and drove them into his flesh while they were red hot. Don't you want to be metal like him?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32452 on: September 11, 2016, 03:51:24 pm »

I'd say he's about 10% metal. The rest is soft, soft flesh.
One wheel short of a wagon

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32453 on: September 11, 2016, 04:32:10 pm »

Irascible police chief RC spends another night at his desk, drinking scotch and muttering about munchkins.
"Another slow night", I thought as I downed my 3rd glass of chilled comfort, when in it walked. I knew it was trouble from the moment I laid eyes on it, the beeping banks of servers leaving very little to the imagination. The kind of trouble I always got involved in somehow.

"You have to help me," it pleaded, fans whirring to keep it cool, "I have a problem. There's these, these..."
"Well spit it out luv, I ain't getting any younger here."
"It's... It's the munchkins! Those godforsaken munchkins. They keep breaking my games and roughing up my players. I can't keep this up. Please, you have to stop them."

Munchkins. Of course.
I'd heard the rumors, every speakeasy and piss-riddled alley in this dinky subsection of the forum had at least one drunk slurring about how they were back in town and how they should just ban and deport the lot of them. But actively killing of games? They didn't use to be this bold. Something was up, I was sure of it. I have a nose for these things, and my nose never lied to me before.

"Don't worry sugar, I'll handle this."
"Uh, the name is Pie-"
I stormed out of the office. Hadn't felt this alive in years. Funny how adrenaline feels when you kicked the habit for so long.

Grabbed ol' Maky, an old PM I got from a KGB friend many years ago, and the notebook I keep my numbers in. Need to contact the guys, get the crew back together.

"D? It's me. Grab your coat, pick up H, meet me at N's. We have munchkins to wrangle."

(Changed it to private eye because I can and you can't stop me.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:39:21 pm by Radio Controlled »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32454 on: September 11, 2016, 04:48:49 pm »

Yeah; really we might just say that if you wanna play, you gotta be ok with at least EATING the demons. Because not using magic is fine and all, just use weapons. But not leveling up would make your life very hard indeed.

[/quote]another way in which it deviates from teh "humanity, fuck yeah! vibe Oro's protagonist culture was initially sold as.

"We are human, and therefore the best, and will totally destroy this ultimate monstrosity, by every human means necessary!"
"Captain, I found a neat demon hand thatshoots lightning!"
"Well, don't just stand there, cut off your own and stick it on. Demon bits, fuck yeah!"
"Captain, I ate a demon, and my stomache is a little queasy."
"That's the spirit, we'll save humanity by becoming our enemy as much as possible, but not quite!"
"Save what, now?"

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32455 on: September 11, 2016, 05:56:52 pm »

another way in which it deviates from teh "humanity, fuck yeah! vibe Oro's protagonist culture was initially sold as.

"We are human, and therefore the best, and will totally destroy this ultimate monstrosity, by every human means necessary!"
"Captain, I found a neat demon hand thatshoots lightning!"
"Well, don't just stand there, cut off your own and stick it on. Demon bits, fuck yeah!"
"Captain, I ate a demon, and my stomache is a little queasy."
"That's the spirit, we'll save humanity by becoming our enemy as much as possible, but not quite!"
"Save what, now?"
[/quote]

Things evolve as they go.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32456 on: September 11, 2016, 06:02:37 pm »

Yes. And I don't entirely object to the change, though "Gotta eat the demon meat to play" is a little stringent for me, and I might opt out for it. But as a game mechanic it's fine. Just remember to change the other aspects, so as not to get self contradictory systems.

Besides ... I thought the little interchange was funny. Oh, not as well written as RC's noir bit up there, maybe, but humorous nonetheless.

maybe I'll go back and fix that broken quote tag ...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32457 on: September 11, 2016, 06:11:30 pm »

Yes. And I don't entirely object to the change, though "Gotta eat the demon meat to play" is a little stringent for me, and I might opt out for it. But as a game mechanic it's fine. Just remember to change the other aspects, so as not to get self contradictory systems.

Besides ... I thought the little interchange was funny. Oh, not as well written as RC's noir bit up there, maybe, but humorous nonetheless.
maybe I'll go back and fix that broken quote tag ...

The adventure continues: https://abbradar.net/erlogs/2016-10-11.txt

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32458 on: September 11, 2016, 06:21:56 pm »

Sorry if the things I said made no sense, it was very seat-of-the-pants, if you know what I mean.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32459 on: September 11, 2016, 06:51:10 pm »

Took me a while to realize what that had to do with my post.

answer - my post references your post. A shameless, roundabout self promotion.

Also, neat. good job!
Pages: 1 ... 2162 2163 [2164] 2165 2166 ... 2205