Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2155 2156 [2157] 2158 2159 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2491474 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #32340 on: September 03, 2016, 10:21:00 pm »

Yeah, I wouldn't have anything against a perplexicon-style junkyard tinker war.  At worst, I'd worry about you spending a bunch of dev time working on yet another game you won't actually run at length, but hey, that's gonna happen regardless. ;)

Can't really give any good advice for an Oro stat system.  I think the NuER/WIZAAARDS system is fine, though I can see how it isn't really linearly scaleable, like you wanted Oro's system to be.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32341 on: September 03, 2016, 10:49:09 pm »

I was/am enjoying the new!ER system for combat. Made sense to me and seemed intuitive.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32342 on: September 04, 2016, 01:46:04 am »

Lets see...if I wanted to  build a plane I'd need a metal working station, something to heat up and reform metal. Probably use a ceramic crucible, a few heating coils, handful of capacitors crafted into a capacitor bank and an extension cord for the power...maybe hook that up to a battery or an electric generator. Circuit board and LCD for display and control of the thing...

Yeah...then a lot of aircraft aluminum...

Plz no. I can't do this. Unless I can randomly connect components til something works.
One wheel short of a wagon

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #32343 on: September 04, 2016, 02:20:37 am »

Lets see...if I wanted to  build a plane I'd need a metal working station, something to heat up and reform metal. Probably use a ceramic crucible, a few heating coils, handful of capacitors crafted into a capacitor bank and an extension cord for the power...maybe hook that up to a battery or an electric generator. Circuit board and LCD for display and control of the thing...

Plz no. I can't do this. Unless I can randomly connect components til something works.
Come join me and bash people in the face with rocks! Caveman team go!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32344 on: September 04, 2016, 02:31:27 am »

I wonder how effective a car door phalanx would be...
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32345 on: September 04, 2016, 02:42:21 am »

I wonder how effective a car door phalanx would be...
Car door, not very. Windows might end up being more problem than protection. Back doors from a van, now that could work. Taller, and usually much smaller window, if any.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32346 on: September 04, 2016, 03:00:10 am »

Oh, and: I guess I could hardly care less about any PvP games. The whole "spirit of competition" is kind of alien to me, so don't count on me for junkyard wars.  :P
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32347 on: September 04, 2016, 06:22:01 am »

I'd probably say Tinker wasn't at all a bad thing in itself. It was excellent world building, pretty fun to mess around with and you could get some pretty silly shit out of it. About the best example of something made in it was Bishop's funny bola launcher that he took on the mission that had zero actual combat and lost in an elevator shaft because it was so goddamn heavy. That's how Tinker worked - you could get the materials together to make yourself some exclusive gear, and even get a funded prototype if it's not just "like the regular gun, but bigger". But ultimately very little ever comes of it beyond unusual shit that winds up in the back of the Armory after the original maker bites it and somebody loots their corpse for stuff to sell.

It really was with getting control of Hephaestus that things took a troubling turn, because Hephaestus seemed to have effectively unlimited resources other than time in sharp contrast to regular Tinker, which was exactly the opposite. The limitation in resources is what produces the actual need for in-person mad science PW was angling for, because while it would be optimal to have them, you just can't afford that QEC bot, that orbital safehouse or that nuclear failsafe to clear the facility you're working in, which means fucking around to the best of your ability is all you can do.

As for PvP or PvE, for me it's PvE all the way. Perplexicon and its myriad derivatives burned me out on PvP in a really big way, and even in other games it's more often just exhausting for me rather than fun.

I'd really like to see PW attempt a proper crafting/science game with limited resources, though. He's great at worldbuilding, which is what games like these live and die on. Something like this, for instance, is a game I would just like to see done by anyone again.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32348 on: September 04, 2016, 09:26:43 am »

I'd probably say Tinker wasn't at all a bad thing in itself. It was excellent world building, pretty fun to mess around with and you could get some pretty silly shit out of it. About the best example of something made in it was Bishop's funny bola launcher that he took on the mission that had zero actual combat and lost in an elevator shaft because it was so goddamn heavy. That's how Tinker worked - you could get the materials together to make yourself some exclusive gear, and even get a funded prototype if it's not just "like the regular gun, but bigger". But ultimately very little ever comes of it beyond unusual shit that winds up in the back of the Armory after the original maker bites it and somebody loots their corpse for stuff to sell.

It really was with getting control of Hephaestus that things took a troubling turn, because Hephaestus seemed to have effectively unlimited resources other than time in sharp contrast to regular Tinker, which was exactly the opposite. The limitation in resources is what produces the actual need for in-person mad science PW was angling for, because while it would be optimal to have them, you just can't afford that QEC bot, that orbital safehouse or that nuclear failsafe to clear the facility you're working in, which means fucking around to the best of your ability is all you can do.

As for PvP or PvE, for me it's PvE all the way. Perplexicon and its myriad derivatives burned me out on PvP in a really big way, and even in other games it's more often just exhausting for me rather than fun.

I'd really like to see PW attempt a proper crafting/science game with limited resources, though. He's great at worldbuilding, which is what games like these live and die on. Something like this, for instance, is a game I would just like to see done by anyone again.
What about a game where pvp is an option, but not the norm? Much like how ER had its occasional player fight, but it wasn't the standard?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32349 on: September 04, 2016, 10:31:33 am »

I'd like to assume any PvE game has PvP as an option simply because you'd need to put in active effort to exclude it as a possibility. So that's a weird question to be honest. It's mostly that I don't particularly enjoy the concept of an arena game.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32350 on: September 04, 2016, 11:29:11 am »

I'd like to assume any PvE game has PvP as an option simply because you'd need to put in active effort to exclude it as a possibility. So that's a weird question to be honest. It's mostly that I don't particularly enjoy the concept of an arena game.
Even if it's a PvE arena? (i.e. something like gladiatorial combat with gladiators versus wild animals and such)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32351 on: September 04, 2016, 12:15:53 pm »

Especially a PvE arena. It's the worst of both worlds.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32352 on: September 04, 2016, 02:57:04 pm »

I was thinking something more like "Wild West" rules; where you're free to do as you like which could mean either going out, braving the world, harvesting parts, and building things, or just waiting for someone to do that and then trying to gut them and steal their stuff.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32353 on: September 04, 2016, 03:47:27 pm »

Come join me and bash people in the face with rocks! Caveman team go!

I was thinking something more like "Wild West" rules; where you're free to do as you like which could mean either going out, braving the world, harvesting parts, and building things, or just waiting for someone to do that and then trying to gut them and steal their stuff.

Team Caveman is on!
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32354 on: September 04, 2016, 06:47:49 pm »

hmmm
Pages: 1 ... 2155 2156 [2157] 2158 2159 ... 2205