Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2115 2116 [2117] 2118 2119 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2484168 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #31740 on: July 15, 2016, 03:05:33 pm »

I kinda like people at 18 being able to faint after only one damage.  It is extremely unlikely, and it means even if you're super strong str damage is scary and potentially lethal.  Then again, I like lethal systems, so...

As for dodging ranged weapons, this is a common misconception.  Sure, it's impossible to dodge bullets, but it's entirely possible to dodge someone's aim.  It's hard enough for most people to even hit a person standing at a fair distance, but if the target's moving extremely erratically?  Much worse.  It is true that dodging is less effective because the person can usually just shoot again immediately after your roll is complete or you've lost momentum or whatever, but it's not that much worse than someone attacking with a melee weapon (ever spar with rubber knives?  Avoiding a stab is remarkably difficult without directly touching the wielder's arm).  I think you should be able to roll to dodge ranged attacks too, because it's more balanced, and isn't all that unrealistic anyway.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31741 on: July 15, 2016, 03:20:34 pm »

I kinda like people at 18 being able to faint after only one damage.  It is extremely unlikely, and it means even if you're super strong str damage is scary and potentially lethal.  Then again, I like lethal systems, so...
I don't know, I feel like it will be plenty lethal even without needing to take a critical damage roll above 10 strength. Maybe it's just me, but I need some semblance of survivability and a little bit of shielding against RNG straight fucking you over before I can invest in a game/character.

But I'm just one guy, so eh.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31742 on: July 15, 2016, 04:34:32 pm »

I agree, funnily enough, with both of you. I like ludicrously lethal systems, but you shouldn't be screwed on average rolls (unless you cocked up big time). You should be able to take a few hits before you're knocked out unless someone gets lucky; 10 STR is a good knockout number.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31743 on: July 15, 2016, 07:10:59 pm »

I agree with Piecewise that making defensive actions as part of a turn would over complicate what is meant to be a simplified game. I didn't mind that the skeleton that killed me only had to roll it's attack, because it did that after I shot at it three times, dodged around it twice, ran away, leapt over a bear trap twice, and hid from it. So it earned it's attack. What i didn't like was that, because my strength stat was low, I had a very weak attack. though, I also only put one point into gun skill, so that at least was on me. I learned from that mistake.

I think a few careful teaks to the Strength/Dex/Mind spread would make the game completely playable as is, and that most of the rest wold be just gravy.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31744 on: July 15, 2016, 07:37:58 pm »

Perhaps balancing Ex could be as simple a thing as making Dex damage more frequent.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #31745 on: July 15, 2016, 08:15:16 pm »

https://app.roll20.net/join/1515283/H2fFCQ
Come, help piecewise forget his crippling depression

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #31746 on: July 15, 2016, 08:24:59 pm »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31747 on: July 15, 2016, 09:42:21 pm »

gah. at almost exactly the time I turned of f the computer for a while, you go and make another round of shenanigans.

ah well.

I took a little internet quiz today to test English vocabulary. I am, according to a fifty question, multiple choice, synonym and antonym quiz, within the top 0.01% of people, vocab-wise, at over 30k words known. I am inordinately proud of this little achievement, and wanted to share it with some people I like, which is you. So there it is.

I should probably write or something.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #31748 on: July 15, 2016, 11:59:54 pm »

Tonight, Sy played the team medic.

And he ate a fist full of pills and beat a mobster to death with his bare hands.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #31749 on: July 16, 2016, 12:04:10 am »

p-doubt I'm going to have to ask you about so many ideas I have such as a nonharmful microwave based gun. Non-harmful as in it won't kill you, just boil your skin eyes and nuts

it would work by using the battery for a 10kw laser and pumping it into a pump magnetron that will then use refracting lens like those on a telescope before passing through a quartz crystal plated with thin stainless steel so that it works like the focusing chamber on a laser before the stream of energy gets enough power to pass through the metal and go through the crystal at which point crystal oscillation ought to help focus and strength the beam.
this ought to turn it into something that should not kill at it's the weakest strength just cause painful and deadly 3'rd degree burns, but at it's highest strength it can cause severe and permanent damage. That's not to mention the adverse effect microwave radiation has on electronics.
So it would effectively be a non-lethal gun that doesn't kill straight off, just incapacitates you by causing extreme pain and boiling your flesh before killing you, the severity of the burns and pain related to how strong the beam is-Going from little-actual-damage-but-a-shit-ton-of-pain to shit-tons-of-pain and oh-my-god-my-flesh-is-boiling-away-my-eyes-have-popped-and-my-saliva-is-boiling-my-tongue! It also has the capability to disrupt most wireless signals and electronics, capable of causing damage to many batteries that use battery acid. Don't believe me, go stick your phone in a microwave and duck and cover.

for the magnetron part, trigger mechanism not includes (would go before capacitors from power source.))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

focusing array (quartz oscillation lens would go before the semi-reflective lens):

it will be called an MECR Magnetic Energy Crystal Resonance Rifle and could be made mostly out of parts found in your average microwave...except for the focusing array, but that would be much like those of a normal laser rifle.

data on the quartz lense:
J   1–12 kHz   length-thickness flexure      J cut is made of two quartz plates bonded together, selected to produce out of phase motion for a given electrical field.

for an example of this being done, quite a while ago in fact, in real life watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmuyLIrSjxI

~~~END OF MECR RIFLE DESIGN INFO~~~

An ideal on improving the sugar bombs is to add small caltrops into the sugar bomb mixture so that it can explode and send debris to damage armor for the molten sugar to soak into and to scatter about the ground to make it hard to walk through. This shouldn't be too much more expensive as scrap metal could be used.

Another idea is to make flechette bombs and use a mixture involving sodium phosphorus and sulfur in water to create aqua sodium sulfate and dissolved phosphorus. Bits of metal could be put into the liquid and cause phosphorus to crystallize and coat them . The end result of this would be that when it explodes the crystallized phosphorus breaks apart and catches fire producing a nice fireball and causing the chunks of metal to catch fire so they can hit someone, cut into them, and then soften and expand due to heat. So these would be like more powerful sugar bombs that catch the surrounding area on fire.

aa simple door mounted trap meant to be mounted on and around a door that has a simple safety switch, it activates when the door is opened firing a 1 shot gun at average height level pointed down at an angle.
it can be reloaded with standard ammo and resets when the door is closed  due to the trigger mechanism being hooked up to a spring to reset it and the pulleys attached to it and the door. to reset all you have to do is close the door and the spring will recoil the string hooked to the firing mechanism. the gun can be replaced by most modern and high-tech guns.

can we add parrying daggers and sword breakers, with them allowing a sort of dex counter attack to help stop or even damage an enemy's weapon in melee?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 01:22:40 am by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #31750 on: July 16, 2016, 12:25:21 am »

And he ate a fist full of pills and beat a mobster to death with his bare hands.
Two, actually.
Meanwhile I'm over there having set up a series of traps and not having the chance to use any.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31751 on: July 16, 2016, 12:30:31 am »

Two, actually.
Meanwhile I'm over there having set up a series of traps and not having the chance to use any.

And I'm bleeding out after shooting two mobsters successfully.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #31752 on: July 16, 2016, 12:31:42 am »

Two, actually.
And I'm bleeding out after shooting two mobsters successfully.
mean while I'm tinkering and shooting shit up.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 12:45:20 am by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #31753 on: July 16, 2016, 02:10:23 am »

I cut down a guy with a Katana and otherwise stood around and made sarcastic comments. Oh, and if we're suggesting weapons, how about a sword that is electrified? Basically, two blades with a non-conductive spacer near the tip and about halfway down the blade, so as to still have a useful cutting edge. The two blades have a large amount of electricity running through them, basically on-par with a standard taser. This way, you can hit an enemy with the flat half of the sword, completing the circuit and thereby stunning them, or you can use the sharp side, dealing some damage and having a chance to stun the enemy.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31754 on: July 16, 2016, 02:47:10 am »

Likely handled by cutting-edge (ha!) melee weapons.
Pages: 1 ... 2115 2116 [2117] 2118 2119 ... 2205